Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink DD using the Boss FRV-1 pedal??

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

There was the following exchange in another thread:

zzero wrote:

The last 2 times I saw DD, he didn't have a Fender reverb.

IvanP wrote:

I assure that was DEFINITELY not the case.

zzero wrote:

Ivan--we looked at DD's rig and he had a Boss FRV-1 pedal. He had no Fender outboard tank. Maybe the pedal was a stand-in, maybe not. All I know is that in Memphis in 2013 and Pensacola in 2014 there was no Fender tank. We saw his amp heads and his wireless setup and the pedal. I was disappointed when we didn't see the Fender reverb tank; I wanted my wife to see one. I do not want to argue with you about it, your knowledge of surf far exceeds mine but I know what I saw on two instances. Sorry

zzero, I'm very interested in this. When the Madeira opened for DD in July, he had a real tank. Every time I've seen him play, he had a real tank. I've seen him with the tank backstage, hung from the rafters and away from the other gear, but I've never seen him without a tank, and I've seen him basically once a year since '92. So, I'm just curious about this, if it's really the case. I don't remember anybody reporting to have seen DD playing through a Boss FRV-1, but I think that would be pretty huge news if indeed the case. Can anybody else report on this?

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

He definitely played with the outboard unit the last couple of times I saw him in Atlanta. I think the last time I saw him perform was in April of 2014.

I stood right next to it in July.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

From Sam Bolle (Dick's bass player) seconds ago:
Absolutely false. For a few shows he was using a reissue reverb tank while his main tank was in the shop, and about 3 years ago he was using a custom reverb "pedal", though it was a very large gold box- no way couldn't be mistaken for a regular pedal. He HAS been using a Shure wireless, which might be mistaken as a reverb pedal, but he ALWAYS plays through the tank. I actually had it at my house a few weeks ago, getting it repaired!

Whew! Order to the universe has been restored Dead Reverb

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

stratdancer wrote:

Likewise in Madison. Maybe the pedal's a tertiary backup.
"We play hard so we break shit." (his comment on the drummer's kick pedal going down)

Here's the question: I wonder if anyone there (other than who noticed it) said, " Shock , where's the reverb!?!?"

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I only got a glance at his rig and couldn't (didn't?) see the tank. Maybe I saw a backup unit. Cords were everywhere. And we did hear reverb.

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015 17:34:41

too much reverb talk!

stratdancer wrote:

The FRV-1 or the reverb unit?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian, I think he meant the tank not the pedal.

the last time I saw dick, he had his tank suspended in the air. I believe he had a pedal, or maybe two on stage which appeared to be a boss stage tuner and some type of volume pedal.

Maybe the lights distorted things. My wife said DD had brown colored amp heads. I thought they were black. The pedal I saw was onstage but I don't
recall seeing a volume pedal. And I was 2 beers in when Dick came onstage. Mixed with my blood pressure medicine, hell, now I'm not exactly sure what I saw. Wouldn't testify in court on it at this point.
I didn't mean to start a mess over this. If I described an acid experience to some of the younger guys it wouldn't make sense. How can I explain what I saw while under the influence, mixed with BP medicine?
So I made a poorly qualified observation and made a poor report.
I am out of this discussion now. Sorry if I was wrong Ivan!

No problem at all, Jeff, I just was really curious. It would have been big news if DD was using a Boss pedal for reverb! I thought it was very unlikely, so it's good that we got to the bottom of this. No harm, no foul, no worries. Thumbs Up

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thumbs Up

There is still one mystery outstanding here...why is the reverb tank suspended in the air?! Is this normal practice among outboard owners?

Draygore wrote:

There is still one mystery outstanding here...why is the reverb tank suspended in the air?! Is this normal practice among outboard owners?

Possibly he just found, at that venue, that conditions were such that it was necessary to completely isolate from what would be a very pounding stage. The kind where old boards are poking up against the carpet under the drum kit & such.
Confused

In Madison last July it was just sitting next to one of his cabinets, amp on top, with a tuner & Fulltone OCD on top of that. So maybe it was just a solution at the time.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Fair enough. I'm gonna start suspending my FRV-1 pedal...

Draygore wrote:

There is still one mystery outstanding here...why is the reverb tank suspended in the air?!

Because some wooden stages vibrate a great deal (usually from the drums), causing the reverb unit to spontaneously make a 'crashing' sound as you're playing. The solution is to get it off the floor.

Is this normal practice among outboard owners?

Not really, I think DD is the only one that does this, but people have tried all sorts of ways to fix this problem. There are a few threads on this in the Gear forum, if you care to search for it.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Next, whats the deal with the Fulltone OCD in the signal chain with the light off? Maybe Sam could answer that.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

In my opinion, DD can do whatever he wants to do. It'll still be DD.

It's possible the promoter supplied the equipment (say, he's flying DD in and he's bringing just a guitar...?) and all they could find was a pedal.

Wouldn't want to be in the same room as the guy telling DD he has to use a pedal instead of a tank though. Maybe the pedal was a backup or used for another instrument?

When I saw him in London, I seem to remember the tank was behind the cabs.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Goto Page: 1 2 Next