Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Dave Myers and the Surftones Pictures Never Seen Before

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just this weekend I was reading the history of the band in Bob Dalley's boo "Surfin' Guitars". The Surftones surely were pretty unique considering the background of some of the musicians and the fact that Dave Myers himself could also play the trumpet and the sax.

What puzzles me: Did Seaton Blanco really play the tuba on any of your gigs or even on record???

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Yeah, Seaton played the tuba on 'Frogwalk' but never on stage. I don't remember him ever holding a tuba.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014 14:55:15

The New Dimensions performed on the same bill with Dave Myers and the Surftones. They were in a word great! Good music, professional performance and smooth sounds. My best, Art Guy drummer, The New Dimensions band. P.S. Only wish I could remember where the venue was?

Thank you so much for sharing all these cool photos and memories with us!!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I just posted a new thread abut about my time and experiences with Dave Myers and the Surftones.
"Surftone Memories / Dave Myers And The Surftones By Dennis Merritt".

And here is a link for completeness:

http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/23279/

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014 20:45:19

Thanks Brian...love your avitar...Dennis

Just found this old menu from Bob's Big Boy in the surf scrapbook. Geez!, brings back some memories of that place after a gig.
Checkout the prices.

Mmmmmmmm Bob's big boy burger!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just had to:

I miss Bob's. They were bought out by JB's in the Phoenix area in the 1980s. I think it changed to Elias' Big Boy in the L.A. area...

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Wow.. this is Great stuff !!

I own the "Hangin' Twenty" and "Surf Battle!" Albums for years.
just recently I bought the "Greatest Racing Themes" LP.

... and the GNP Crescendo "Original Surfin' Hits" aswell.

http://bahareebas.blogspot.com/

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014 00:41:49

Matt there are still a couple Bob's still around.
One in Downey, one in Burbank.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014 00:25:31

ArtGuy wrote:

The New Dimensions performed on the same bill with Dave Myers and the Surftones. They were in a word great! Good music, professional performance and smooth sounds. My best, Art Guy drummer, The New Dimensions band. P.S. Only wish I could remember where the venue was?

I just caught up with these posts, and read the other first. The entire time I was reading Dennis's recollections, I wondered if you had crossed paths. What an extraordinary time and place to be young and talented!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

bigtikidude wrote:

Matt there are still a couple Bob's still around.
One in Downey, one in Burbank.

Ah, Bob's Big Boy. Used to go there quite often on Saturday nights in high school days after working at Lion's Drag Strip. And then Carol, my girlfriend at the time and now wife, worked at the Long Beach Bob's on Bellflower (long gone) and financed a large chunk of my scuba gear with her tips. My Grandma loved their strawberry pie.

Rick

Rick

Just ran across this photo of Don Snow who played rhythm guitar for us around 66.

Just found this snapshot of Dave at Harmony Park playing the bongos. That's Larry Blogett on drums in the background.
Notice the stand Dave had made up for his stuff...room for a guitar at either end, trumpet on top and tambourine, etc. below.

These are amazing pictures! Thank you, Dennis!

A few more pics from my old scrapbook...not Dave Myers based but signs of the times.
The pic of the woody was shot at Cars&Coffee in Irvine a couple years ago...I noticed the Ole decal, Ole was a shop teacher at my high school in Garden Grove.

*Found a few more pics from the scrapbook.*

The first pic is a shot for a Fender promotion ad.Check out the Go Go chicks with the white boots...what a trip. The group then consisted of: L-R, Seaton Blanco on bass, Dave Mohr on piano, Dave Myers, Larry Blodgett on drums,Bob Riley on Rhythm guitar and Dennis Merritt on Guitar.
The next pic is Dave Mohr singing at Harmony Park, sadly Dave has passed away.
The pic with my new Mustang is an early shot of the group taken up in the hills above Laguna Beach.L-R, Johnny Curtis, Seaton Blanco, Dennis Merritt, Dave Myers, Ross Von Kliest.
Next is the Union membership card from from local #7 Orange County California.
A newspaper clipping from the local Laguna paper.Dave grew up in Laguna and was in fact Senior president of Laguna Beach High School, his ties with the town were deep and sometimes just for fun we would play a local spot in Laguna on Wednesday nights during the summer.

Kind of funny: I already knew the Fender ad from Richard Smith's book "Fender: the sound heard 'round the world" and thought the band looked somewhat familiar. But somehow I didn't figure out that it's Dave Myers and company... I perhaps would have, if it weren' for the atypical guitar: Did Dave actually play a Fender Coronado during that time or was it just for the photo shoot?

(Sidenote: There are pictures of other surfbands in this book: Dick Dale, Surfaris, even Eddie & the Showmen. And all of them got proper captions underneath their photos, except for Dave Myers...)

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2