Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink One secret for strumming fast and accurately on rhythm guitar

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Some picks have more texture and should be less prone to slipping. Buy a few and experiment. I've evolved down to using light-medium picks .5mm

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Maybe someone can identify the manufacturer of this pick? These are the only picks I've found that stay put. The stippling on both sides keeps them from spinning, even with a very gentle grip, so my strumming hand isn't tense. They don't sound the best, but I sound a lot worse when my pick has spun sideways. They feel and play a little thinner than other picks of the same thickness.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 09, 2014 10:51:10

As for picks, I just use the medium Dunlop nylon picks and they have the grip on them that keeps them from sliding around. It happens live from time to time, especially if I'm sweating a lot, but the nylon grip helps prevent it.

As for the arm rest, I admit that I practice like that a lot. I try to be mindful, but before I know it, my arm is back on the body of the guitar. What is weird, though, is when I play live or rehearse at full volume, my arm almost never touches the body. Its like my subconscious kicks in and corrects my strum arm when I am so focused on what the rest of the band is doing and what my left hand is doing. Strange...

Doing palm-mute drippy rhythms (Astronauts style) totally kills my wrist though. Makes me want to get one of them mute thingies and install it so I can use my arm to strum instead of just the wrist. Of course, I'm strumming super hard, so I think if I just up my volume and let the pups and amp do the work, I can relax a bit more. But then the energy isnt there, and that's half of the song! I must find a balance...

Noel wrote:

Maybe someone can identify the manufacturer of this pick?

Hmmm. Not identical but looks similar in concept to Dunlop's Max Grip.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Last edited: Sep 09, 2014 14:24:52

josheboy wrote:

As for picks, I just use the medium Dunlop nylon picks and they have the grip on them that keeps them from sliding around. It happens live from time to time, especially if I'm sweating a lot, but the nylon grip helps prevent it.

I had the same issue and tried picks with grips but I found that when they slip out of position they're harder reposition quickly. Just a few weeks ago I tried a Gravity pick which is kind of boutique job made from smooth acrylic (CD material). It defies logic that a smooth sided pick would grip so well but it does, don't ask me how but it works really well for me.

I found, today, an intangible, while working on The Crusher (with Atlantics b/t).
It's much more fun if I pretend I'm Danny at the Tribute and dance around like I'm actually having the time of my life. Then it's not work. Big Grin

Guitar

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Hmmm. Not identical but looks similar in concept to Dunlop's Max Grip.

Thanks! I'll give them a try.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel / Danny - I seem to remember someone (it may have been IvanP) posting a video of the Shadows rythm guitarist discussing his technique for fast strumming. Anyways one crucial element was his use of a thin pick.

ConcreteSurfer wrote:

Noel / Danny - I seem to remember someone (it may have been IvanP) posting a video of the Shadows rythm guitarist discussing his technique for fast strumming. Anyways one crucial element was his use of a thin pick.

I think i've found the video you've mentioned:

IvanP wrote:

This interview has a ton of close-up videos of Bruce Welch playing rhythm and explaining some of his techniques - really REALLY cool stuff!!!!

http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/iguitar/iguitar/magazine/iguitar/mag/digital/guita/issue4/page/1/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2