PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
239 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
217 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
186 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
179 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
140 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
73 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
73 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
60 days ago

dp: dude
41 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake June Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Sentinals - in San Lus Obispo Telegram-Tribune Saturday March 16, 1963

Page 1 of 1

Found this article on a whim today doing a curious search for images featuring what may be my most favorite first wave band, the Sentinals. I'm assuming the image is a photo of a microfiche archive of the paper (note to self, add topic to the "you might just be old" thread about going to the library and reading archives on the microfiche machine!), and the text is brutal on the eyes, but after I made the effort to read it, being a fave band, I had to take the time to transcribe for readability (below the image).

There are so many cool aspects in this article - nightly earnings, future at Foothill college for a Sentinal (Cuz Mary!), being mistaken for million dollar robbers, and much more.

Forgive any type-o's... did I say reading that microfiche was brutal!?

Tom Valentine wrote, for the San Luis Obispo County (Calif.) Telegram-Tribune Saturday March 16, 1963

S.L.O. Musicians Gain Momentum In Struggle For National Notice

By Tom Valentine

Six dynamic young men give San Luis Obispo a claim to modern musical fame.

A group of San Lois Obispo high school musicians known as the Sentinals have found nationwide favor with their spontaneous showmanship and rhythmic stylings.

The Sentinals are jelled under the guidance of Tommy Nunes, the lead guitarist who originated the group in 1961. The two major attractions outside their drawing power as a top flight rhythm and blues group are Johnny Barbata, one of the up and coming drummers in the nation, and Kenny Hinkle, the vocalist.

Ben Trout holds down the rhythm section on the bass while Harry Sackrider handles the second guitar duties. Bobby Holmquist, who has the most longevity as a musician in the group, is on the saxophone.

The Sentinals are now touring California with a popular vocal group from New York - the Four Seasons. The tour hit San Luis Obispo Thursday with a show at Fremont theater and Thursday night the swung into action in the Santa Maria National guard armory.

The tour already set an attendance record at Fresno where it drew over 4000 listeners.

The Sentinals are fast becoming as big a draw as the Four Seasons, especially in the valley area. Managed by another former San Lois Obispo high schooler, Norman Knowles, the Sentinals are affiliated with Wesco Records and the West Coast Entertainment agency.

"Big Surf," an album of Sentinal recordings, is now selling at a fast clip. In the album the group presents 14 numbers including five of its own composition.

The Sentinals biggest hit to date is their own composition called "Latin'ia" which is on of the featured numbers in the album.

Other original numbers include "Big Surf", "Pismo Beach", "Tor-Chula" and "Sunset Beach."

The boys completed a national tour last summer, playing with such top names as Deedee Sharp, Bobby Vee and Dickie Lee. Starting with a quick tour to Rapid Falls, S. Dakota and Gallup, N.M, this Easter vacation, the group is headed for another swing to the east. Rapid Falls and Gallup are Easter vacation sites for youngsters much like Balboa and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The biggest time of their tour last season happened in Baltimore where the boys were extremely popular and in two days played four dances and the Buddy Deane television show, which is the Dick Clark show of the east.

When the group arrived in Baltimore, it had been on the road 72 hours, driving from Kansas City. The group had hardly settled in its quarters when the Baltimore police investigated the group as suspects in a million dollar robbery which had just occurred in that city. The actual robbers had posed as musicians and the Sentinals arrived in town at the time when the police authorities were in a dither over the affair.

In 1961 Nunes, who learned his guitar playing by starting with a ukelele, and classmates Gary Winburne and Pete Graham, both now in the armed forces, started tinkering with music. The new organization started searching for a name and flipped through the pages of a dictionary.

None of the boys remembers just how it happened, but the boys landed on the word sentinel, squabbled a bit about it, and decided to alter the spelling and came up with the Sentinals.

In the fall of 1961 the original group played its first dance - the Aristocrat affair at the veterans memorial building in San Luis Obispo. Knowles picked up on the group and aided them with his knowledge and flair for the business.

They became affiliated with GAC (?), a company that books their tours, and with Knowles showing the way, quickly stepped into the $150-$200 per night bracket.

Last summer's tour reached as far as Connecticut before starring in Balboa's Rendezvous ballroom.

This year the Sentinals hope to hook up with the Dick and Deedee duo for their summer tour.

The Sentinals stated recording last summer also, and their first tune was a questionable ditty called "Blue Booze."

Asked what they call themselves, the Sentinals say they have been referred to as a combo band, group, and even an orchestra - "because we have strings."

Holmquist, who is featured on the saxophone, is the only member of the Sentinals who has had any formal music training. Bobby is now a Cal Poly student, majoring in business, but is keeping his hand in where music is connected with several courses in theory.

Barbata found he enjoyed beating tattoos of rhythm only two years ago. Although he has never had a lesson he is capable of beating rhythms for any length of time.

Johnny is planning a career as a drummer, and even though the field is a long, hard uphill grind, the natural talent he is endowed with should send him a long way.

Hinkle has a fine voice quality and many critics of the Sentinals suggest the group design more "soft" numbers for him. The boys all agree they should. They are working on several new arrangements featuring Kenny's vocal ability.

With the exception of Barbata, the boys all have college careers planned in conjunction with their music. Nunes and Trout are both heading for art majors in college. Tommy favors San Francisco state or San Jose state while Ben is heading for Foothill college.

Hinkle, who graduated in 1962 from San Luis Obispo high school is aiming toward a business major at Cal Poly, while Sackrider said he while attend Allan Hancock in Santa Maria before taking a business major at Poly.

All six of the men admit they are "hams" and that they "enjoy their work and the crowds."

But wait!!! It gets better. This image, it turns out was from a resuscitation of the original article brought back to life by the San Luis Obispo Tribune in October of 2008.

The additional flashback story from the vault says

Patrick S. Pemberton at SLO The Tribune wrote

At the peak of his career, Johny Barbata played drums on dozens of albums, performed in packed stadiums and rubbed elbows with rock’s most recognizable superstars. Yet his fondest memories are with a little-known Central Coast surf band.

“That’s where my roots were — San Luis Obispo,” Barbata said.
The Sentinals never experienced the success of Barbata’s later groups, but the band did have a single, “Latinia,” that garnered lots of airplay in the West.

“Our friends couldn’t believe that we were in high school and had a hit,” Barbata said.
The drummer recently returned to San Luis Obispo to perform with one of his old bandmates, local musician Tommy Nunes, and to pitch his book, “Johny Barbata: The Legendary Life of a Rock Star Drummer.”

As the title suggests, Barbata isn’t overly modest about his accomplishments, which includes stints with Jefferson Starship and Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

Barbata’s father, a Snap-On Tool salesman, moved the family to the Central Coast from New York State for better job opportunities. While attending San Luis Obispo High School, Barbata hooked up with the Sentinals. The modest success the band had was enough to convince Barbata to move to Los Angeles and delve into the music scene.

There he sat in with musicians until he was noticed. Eventually, he was invited to join the Turtles. Barbata’s drums can be heard on the group’s biggest hits, including the harmony-laced “Happy Together.”

“I remember one time, spinning the dial, I heard it three times on three different stations at the same time,” Barbata said in a telephone interview. “That was a good sign.”

The first reader comment on the on line story called out yet another story about the band / Tommy Nunes from the Tribune - an interview with Tommy and 'current' collaborator Chet Hogoboom.

Patrick S. Pemberton at The Tribune wrote

Chet Hogoboom and Tommy Nunes have both had their brushes with fame.
Hogoboom once talked to Keith Richards, though he couldn’t understand much of what Richards said. And Nunes once had a hit record that still appears on surf music compilations.

Over the past three decades, the two have played with various bands, tuning their guitars before hundreds of gigs.

Now that they’re older, they say, they don’t stress out about becoming rock stars; they just like to jam.

They recently recorded an eponymous CD (“C.T. and Tommy Lee,” available at local record stores), which is a collection of dreamy, melodic rock. On the CD, the two switch off lead vocals and share songwriting credits while friends add percussion, banjo, dobro, mandolin, flute and harmonica.

We caught up with them at Uptown Espresso in San Luis Obispo.

Tom, you were in a surf band (The Sentinels) before. Does that mean you surf, or are you like the Beach Boys — just playing surf music?
TN: No, I’m like the Beach Boys. We were a rhythm-and-blues band, and we got hooked up with a guy around here who was in a band called the Rebels. And he kind of managed us and took us down to L.A. and recorded us, and we recorded a song that somehow became a surf anthem “Latina,” and to this day I get royalties for it. I get checks in the mail from Finland and Germany — places you wouldn’t really associate with surf music.

You guys have been doing gigs for a long time. What’s the weirdest thing that’s happened?
TN: I was on tour with the Sentinels and we were just outside of Baltimore… I was in the bathroom, and a guy knocked down the door. He was a federal agent. They thought we had robbed a bank. They barged in the room, and I happened to be on the can. Of course, we were quickly cleared.
Another one was, I was playing a gig down in Balboa (in Orange County). It was the closing of the club, so it was a party for the employees. We were in the middle of a song, and they dropped live chickens down from a trap door above the stage. They fell in front of us in the middle of a song. A couple of them broke their necks on the ground. It was terrible. I was like, “Whoa.”

What was the closest you got to the big time?
CH: With different bands, I opened for the Chili Peppers, Junior Walker and the All Stars. When we were recording at Wally Heider’s, I met John Denver. And then the Stones were in there on the same night. I met Joni Mitchell in the same studio. You think you’re close — you’re rubbing elbows and stuff — but things happen and life is what it is.
TL: I had a small taste of big-time rock-and-roll. I went on tour with a guy named Ian Matthews. We went back East and played with Linda Ronstadt, opened for her and America and played with Boston. That was kind of neat: dressing rooms, the spreads and the limos. When I was with the Sentinels, we would play these shows down in Huntington Beach or Bakersfield that were put on by the big radio stations back then. And they would have Jan and Dean, the Beach Boys, Righteous Brothers, the Coasters, and we would back them up. For us — 16, 17, 18 years old back then — that was pretty cool.

Okay, now I have some more general music questions: Beatles or Stones?
CH: That’s a tough question. I think overall Beatles because I think they’re better songwriters. But when the Stones came out, I really liked that rough side.

I’ll give Tommy this one: CCR or Eagles?
TN: I wish you would’ve given me the first question. I like them both. Geeez. I guess if I had to pick, I’d probably go with the Eagles.

Are there any new bands that you guys like?
TN: I think John Mayer’s great.
CH: I like Jack Johnson. He’s not brand-new now, but that style is kind of cool. Kind of laid-back and not real presumptuous.

Do you guys have any guilty pleasures?
TN: I tend to like kind of sweet music sometimes, which some people kind of cringe at. To me it’s candy, you know? I love the two-part harmonies and the beauty of the old Everly Brothers’ harmonies. I think I like a lot of country music because of that. Some of it is very melodic. And I think country music has got some of the best guitar players.

What’s your favorite guitar song?
CH: I would have to say some of the Duane Allman stuff. First hearing it was like ‘Wow!
What was that?’ The combination of two guitar players going together was kind of new and different.
TN: When I grew up, a guy named Freddy King was one of my idols — an old blues player. At the time, I had an album of his that was all instrumental. One of the songs on there that I still play is called “Hideaway.”

All right, Tom, Beatles or Stones?
TN: The Beatles, definitely. I actually got to see them play. For me, they just changed the whole music world.
CH: I saw the Stones in ’65. My dad ran the stadium there in Fresno. As they did in those days, the girls stormed the stage at the end, and they took the Stones away in, like, a Brinks truck. And Charlie Watts left his snare drum. My dad gave it to me, and then I started taking drum lessons on it. Like an idiot, I sold it a few years later and bought a drum set.

There are a few other cool reader comments, including a note from Tommy Nunes brother, Bobby and original Sentinal Harry Sackrider.

Harry Sackrder wrote

Just found this sight. It is nice to see the the old news paper piece on the Sentinals. As you can imagine the early 60′s was a fun part of my life. We all had a lot of good times traveling around the country playing music for most of each summer, then returning to San Luis Obispo, Ca to go to school.

I left the band in 1964 to go back to school, get a job to help pay for it at a Bank and get married. I ended up staying in the banking business for 43 years retiring in the spring of 2007. For the past 6 years I’ve playing in a new band of guys from the last Bank I worked for. We call the band, “Route 66″, and play a lot of the oldies including some songs from the Sentinals such as Latinia and Hide Away from the Big Surf album.
I live in Morro Bay, Ca with my wife Polly and enjoy playing music, golf and travel.

TOO FRIGGIN COOL!!!!

Respectfully,
Your resident Sentinals fanboy

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013 16:58:02

More!!!

*Patrick S. Pemberton — ppemberton@thetribunenews.com wrote (on March 1, 2012)

The rise of surf rock in the 1960s was spearheaded in part by local teen bands including The Impacts, The Sentinals and The Revels

In the summer of 1962, 16-year-old Tommy Nunes and his group The Sentinals toured the country in a station wagon, promoting Nunes’ instrumental song “Latin’ia.” Meanwhile, members of The Impacts, another teen band from San Luis Obispo County, were preparing to record an instrumental called “Wipe Out.”

While both tunes would later be known as surf songs, at that point, the genre was still new.

“When we first started playing, the term ‘instrumental surf music’ hadn’t been coined yet,” said Merrell Fankhauser, of The Impacts, who remembers an old Tribune headline that called it “twist music for surfers.” “We were right there at the very beginning of it.”

Saturday’s “Surfin’ Safari” show at the Clark Center, featuring a Beach Boys tribute band, will recall surf music of the 1960s. But even before the Beach Boys popularized songs about wave riding, bands in San Luis Obispo County were helping to popularize surf music.

While The Sentinals and The Impacts were probably the best-known surf bands from the county, local surf music began with The Revels.

“Before I joined the Impacts, I had played with The Revels,” said Fankhauser, of Arroyo Grande, “which were really the original first instrumental band from around here.”

The Revels started out of San Luis Obispo High School in the mid-1950s. And while they are often considered a “pre-surf” band, decades later, they would gain surf music notoriety when their song “Commanche” appeared in Quentin Tarantino’s movie “Pulp Fiction.”

In 1958, as The Revels were winding down, Fankhauser was working at the Fair Oaks Theatre in Arroyo Grande.

“After one of the matinees, when we were done cleaning up, I sat down in one of the seats and had my acoustic guitar and started singing a Ricky Nelson song,” Fankhauser remembered. “And the manager of the theatre heard me and said, ‘Hey, you’re pretty good. How would you like to sing a song in between the matinee?’ ”

Fankhauser went on to play other theatres in San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Atascadero and Santa Maria. And that summer, he briefly played with the Revels. But eventually, he joined the Impacts, a band he’d beaten in a talent show contest.

Drawn to the instrumental music of acts like Duane Eddy, Fankhauser began writing originals on his guitar.

“And because I was a surfer, I started putting surfing titles to them,” Fankhauser said.

The Impacts played several venues, including The Peppermint Twist West, now the Splash Café, and The Rose Garden Ballroom, now Pancho’s Surf shop — both in Pismo Beach.

With room for more than 1,000 patrons, The Rose Garden Ballroom had hosted popular big bands — and boxing matches — when it was built in the 1940s. And it became a hot venue for acts traveling between San Francisco and Los Angeles in the ’60s.

“A lot of these bands were basically looking for a payday,” said Mike Hischier, who has owned Pancho’s for 20 years.

“I know that Jimi Hendrix had played there,” he said. “Jefferson Airplane played there.”

It would also host bands such as The Yardbirds, featuring guitarists Jeff Beck and future Led Zeppelin member Jimmy Page.

“It was a really bitchin’ ballroom,” Nunes said. “It had a nice stage. It was pretty well-known. People would come from the valley, and it would get pretty crowded.”

Fankhauser remembers seeing The Ventures there.

“And The Beach Boys were booked there one time,” Fankhauser said. “They came in, and we looked at them and thought, ‘Who are these old guys calling themselves The Beach Boys?’ Because they all looked old to us.”

In addition to the ballroom, Nunes said, local surf bands would play battle of the bands contests at the veterans halls in Pismo Beach and Santa Maria and at a Chevy dealership in San Luis Obispo.

But his song “Latin’ia” would send The Sentinals across the country.

“We worked our way all the way to Buffalo, New York,” said Nunes, of Cayucos.

After his parents bought him a guitar from Montgomery Ward, Nunes and some friends from San Luis Obispo High School formed their first band. Inspired by the Ventures’ song “Walk, Don’t Run,” they began making instrumental music. They recorded some R&B and rock covers, but “Latin’ia” had a strong surf vibe.

“The intro was a lick that kind of set up the whole song,” Nunes said.

Norman Knowles, from The Revels, offered to manage the band, which was signed to Del-Fi Records. And soon “Latin’ia” was getting major airplay in Bakersfield and Los Angeles.

“It became a California surf hit,” Nunes said.

When the group toured, they would often open for acts like The Coasters and The Righteous Brothers, then perform as their backing bands. The Impacts, meanwhile, backed acts such as Little Anthony and the Imperials and Freddy Cannon.

Like The Sentinals, The Impacts were signed to Del-Fi Records. One of their early songs was based on a tune Fankhauser had originally called “Kickout.”

“One day I was surfing on the right side of the (Pismo) pier, and I got wiped out and really mashed my head into the sand,” Fankhauser said. “I was spitting sand and everything out of my nose, and a guy on the beach was laughing — ‘Ha, ha, Merrell — you really got wiped out!’ ”

As he was driving home, Fankhauser decided to rename “Kickout.”

Being teens, The Impacts didn’t pay much attention to contracts, and not long after The Impacts released the newly-named “Wipe Out,” The Surfaris released their own “Wipe Out,” which became a huge hit.

Fankhauser wouldn’t get the rights to his song until 1994.

While acts like Dick Dale helped make surf music a national phenomenon, by the mid-’60s, the Beatles had made surf music seem irrelevant.

“I became a huge Beatles fan,” Nunes said. “We all did.”

Nunes and Fankhauser continued to play music, but they veered away from surf tunes. Nunes gravitated toward rock and soul. Fankhauser, who moved to Southern California and Hawaii, played psychedelic rock. (A song Fankhauser wrote, “Tomorrow’s Girl,” was included in a compilation that was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Historical Album category last year.)

Yet, their surf music still appears on compilations.

Today Fankhauser still performs surf tunes and has more albums coming out. Meanwhile, Nunes focuses on R&B and rock in groups like Soul Sauce and Mud on the Tire.

But a song he wrote as a high schooler remains his biggest claim to fame.

“I still get residuals,” said Nunes, whose “Latin’ia” was on an episode of “Sex & the City.” “It’s not that much but, you know — a few hundred bucks.”

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Nice work, man.

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Nice sleuthing Fady! Thanks for taking the time to transcribe that.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

This is the story of my youth.....I lived it!! I met The Sentinals, The Impacts, The Revels and many others. I used to sneak in a back door at the Rose Garden and watch all the bands from the side of the stage. I saw so many surf bands that I can't list them all. That's why surf music is in my blood!
I lived in a little town just north of Pismo called Shell Beach.
This post is bringing back all those memories....
THANK YOU
I hope to play there next summer when The TakeOffs come to California. Not the Rose Garden...it's gone...but somewhere up there.
Aloha,
-Ron

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Thanks for posting such a great artical ! I was listening to The Sentinals earlier today On Spotifi , I think all of their stuff twice really .One of my favorite surf bands .

Page 1 of 1