PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
9 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Dual Showman Prices

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

The holy grail doesnt come cheap. http://instruments.search.ebay.com/dual-showman_Musical-Instruments_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsacatZ619QQsubmitsearchZSearch

And look at the price on this reveb tank. Who are they kidding???
http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-Reverb-Fender_W0QQitemZ120080209901QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41452QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if it's a strategy of these type of vintage equipment dealers to post things too high. This may slowly drive up the prices. The $1200 price on the reverb doesn't look so bad now that I see that this guy is asking $1500.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I would argue that the 15" Ported/Tone Ring Showman is the Holy Grail.

It's a seller's strategy to list them high and accept offers. It lets the customer know what range you're thinking in and they'll make an offer that may be close to what you want. I just sold a 65 Melody Maker for $1000 using this method.

Speaking of prices I was at the GC in Azusa and they have a blonde Bassman rig like I use sitting inside a glass case for $3000. In fact they had some similar equipment to what Wave Invasion uses and when I added it up it came to around $20,000 if we were to buy it at their asking price and in all honesty their crap was beat to sh7t and back compared to our stuff.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

Does stuff really sell at those prices? Not long agao I had a guy who was willing to sell me his 70's Bassman for $325, head & speaker cap in working condition. I posted a bunch of ads offering it for $600 thinking I could flip it for a quick profit. I did not get a single inquiry.

I'm fortunante in that if I wanted to buy a showman, I could buy one today. However, there is no way I'd spend that kind of $$$$ for what I feel I just way over priced. I guess I'll never own one.

I consider those prices to be a fishing expedition. If they get someone to actually pay that price well great for them. You can negotiate the price but they have prices artificially inflated so that even if they do give you a "deal" they're still turning a nice profit.

The other thing that never seem sto get taken into consideration in these things is "condition". Condition should be one of the leading factors in determining price. Everyone that sees a pristine, kept under the bed, not a scratch on it, Custom colored instrument going for top dollar all decide that their battle weary, fret worn out, POS is worth the same as the pristine collector's pieces. I see it all the time. At the GC they were asking $8500 for a L plate P-Bass that was grungy, faded and had considerable wear and tear.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

I recently acquired two Showman heads. The first one was a "Dual" Showman '67 that I lucked into on ebay for $430. How did you guys miss that one? and Just this week, I have added #5 to my collection which is a '65 export head that I picked up locally for $500. There are still some reasonable ones around, you just have to have patience.

I agree somewhat with Jacob on the single 15 tone ring cab. They sound amazing. For projection and volume the 2-15 with good speakers can't be touched. It can't be picked up by an old dude either, but they are some loud rascals.

As much as I like the huge sound of a Showman head and cab, I am really becoming attached to the '65 Bandmaster with k-120's. It is the most musical amp I have played in years and it's still light and easy to carry. I set it up on a milk crate with the cab horizontal and it's sound is stunning. The normal channel has more gain and that gives me the touch sensitivity that inspires me to play.....highly recommended. ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I don't agree about the tone ring... in fact I have one from a 62 showman, that I will sell anyone... baffle board and all.

Lots of folks replaced the tone ring with a regular baffle. Why? cause it sounds WAY better!

THe NEpTuNeS

FUCK THOSE PRICES! Just wait for Gomez Amps to sell its "Surfer" Showman Clone

I just got home from Guitar Center.

1972 Super Reverb $2600

1963 Fender Strat $6000

1955 Bassman absolutely beat to hell with hoes in the from cloth $6000

No way man.... No way.. Insanity.

The '63 Strat is actually a steal. You should buy it. You could make a lot of money on that guitar.

JakeDobner
The '63 Strat is actually a steal. You should buy it. You could make a lot of money on that guitar.

I just bought a '63 Strat neck from a guy at work for $100. Canadian. I was pretty happy about it already, but now I feel even better. Very Happy

WaimeaBay
FUCK THOSE PRICES!

My mom reads this site.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bassman were made in 1955?
Thats weird because I saw a 1965 Bassman at GC a month ago for $500. And from the looks of it, it was in near mint condition. I don't think it lasted very long there though.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

JakeDobner
I would argue that the 15" Ported/Tone Ring Showman is the Holy Grail.

I would totally agree with you. It makes me feel bad that I took out the tone rings in the showmans that I had and converted the cabinets to fit two 15's each. the wierd thing is I couldnt give those tone rings away back in 98. Wish I kept them.

Happiness is being a surf musician that actually surfs. Ride Lord Hunt Surfboards!!!

yeah, right!

how does $1800 for a '65 bassman sound? yes people, just the top, no cab here...

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

While for sure not inexpensive, the Showmans/Dual's are still a bargin in the vintage market. When you consider a 60's DR can push two grand?! We can still get a lot of horsepower for less $. Nice original BF heads/cab's can still be had in the $1500 range capped and tubed. They will show up on the bay at this price but wont last too long. If you want to go for a silverface....$1000.00 will find one and even though they get hammered for the master volume..with an outboard reveb in front of them they still rock.

www.northofmalibu.com

The 55 bassman is a tweed amp. Tweed bassman amps are the holy grail for blues tone. It has four 10's, Tube rectified.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

Look up narrow panel bassman.

There is a dealer in vegas selling a white (painted black) showman head and cab with D130's for $1000, it's in vintage guitar this month. I'll follow up.

THe NEpTuNeS

I thought that was a 59 bassman

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

WR: $1600 is pretty darn high for a late 60's Bassman head. I recently sold a blonde '63 head and cab retubed and capped in near mint for $2,000...about right...the later ones with the skirted knobs should fetch about $1200-$1500 for the the head AND cab.

www.northofmalibu.com

Goto Page: 1 2 Next