Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink OK, how about trumpets???

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hi all, this is my first real post stepping out of the shallow end.

I was reading the comments about saxophone in surf bands (which I like) but I was curious to hear comments about trumpet. SuperWave has been playing with a trumpet player for the last several gigs and it has been very well received. For me, it was listening to The Langhorns that made me want to incorporate the trumpet. Check out Club Gabardino, Stake Out, Surf 99.

But, as others have said...sax, trumpet, it's all good...as long as they ain't steppin' on the surf geetar.

Ben

Ben
Hi all, this is my first real post stepping out of the shallow end.

I was reading the comments about saxophone in surf bands (which I like) but I was curious to hear comments about trumpet. SuperWave has been playing with a trumpet player for the last several gigs and it has been very well received. For me, it was listening to The Langhorns that made me want to incorporate the trumpet. Check out Club Gabardino, Stake Out, Surf 99.

But, as others have said...sax, trumpet, it's all good...as long as they ain't steppin' on the surf geetar.

Ben

The Cadillac Hitmen have some really cool trumpet playing on their
3rd Cd, "Two in the Hat". Who knew???

I wouldn't want to hear trumpets in surf a lot, but once in a while
they can add a nice touch.

Bob

Bob

Spaghetti Western Calexico-like trumpet playing is pretty cool...
But in surf...mmmm, I'll give The Langhorns another spin.

PS DD's Misirlou isn't bad either

I was about to ask the same question.
I think I like trumpets more than sax in surf. It seems like the saxophone has had more play surf-wise, but I like the sound and feel of trumpets more in the surf context. They seem to have a much cleaner sound. For example: the Woodies' "Spanish Word." The trumpet in there is smooth and silky. Cool
And another example: Johnny Fortune's version of "Siboney" is a great example of both sax and trumpet in surf, and both sound great.

We us a trumpet in Los Fantasticos. You can hear it on the songs Tilting At Windmills and Sergio at http://www.myspace.com/losfantasticos.

I also love those Langhorns trumpet tracks. Of course, the Bambi Molesters have used trumpet too.

Los Fantasticos

Malaguena - The Bambi Molesters is fantastic. I would kill to see that live, or be in a band that could pull that off, of course you would not want every song in your set to be like that, it would lose it's impact.
In a perfect world my next
band would have someone who could blow trumpet, play keys, 2nd guitar, percusion and go go dance...(not all at once) - i'd prefer a younger attractive woman, who would not make my wife jealous, even in a grass skirt and i wouldn't even ask her to help carry my guitars or quad box.. Twisted Evil

adam

The Bambi Molesters are a great live band. Very atmospheric and grand sounding. No trumpet when I've seen them though.

Los Fantasticos

not surf, but the horns sound great in 'the lonely bull', which i've heard several surf bands cover

www.surfintheeye.com

I think I actually prefer the trumpet to the sax in a surf band (though the sax has its place for sure). Langhorns (notice there's no 'the' in front of their name) and the Bambi Molesters have shown how amazing it can sound (Langhorn's Club Gabardino is one of my all-time fave surf albums, and the Bambis are consistently awesome). It's fun to hear Dick rip it up on the trumpet, too.

Though, I should mention, one of my favorite songs by Langhorns is Aspiracion which features solos by both a trumpet and a sax - and both are just brilliant. They send shivers down my spine every time I hear 'em. Those guys totally nail the whole exotic vibe.

Ivan

PS Oh, almost forgot: Calexico RULES! They are amazing, especially their Mexican-style instros. Now, THAT'S some awesome trumpet playing.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I enjoy trumpet. The tone is smoother. We have it on several songs.

Call me crazy, but I like the trumpet in surf more than the sax. It adds to the "western" quality/atmosphere I associate with instrumental music.

I have absolutely no problem imagining surf music, historically, without trumpet. I'd walk out on the Madeira, Slacktone, Surf Coasters, or The 'Verb if they were going to have trumpet the entire show. No band is good enough to make up for the monstrosity that is trumpet.

Nobody here can even start to understand how much I hate that instrument. Thinking about it honestly makes me angry and I'm generally one of the most cheery people on the planet.

On the cheery aspect, most of you won't believe me but when you meet me in person you will see. I'm always all of my friend's parents favorite. Very Happy

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

LMAO LMAO LMAO ROTFL

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Personally, I think the trumpet blows. Or do I have that backwards? Rolling Eyes

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I prefer the trumpet to sax but I'd have both. It has that Mariachi sound that blends well with Mexican/Spanish flavored songs, not to mention Ennio Morricone's brilliant use of it in his work. What about that harmonium or whatever they use in Endless Summer? Now that is an odd choice but I love it.

I like a brass section, two or three different horns. Especially for a variety of tones. I really like it when it is more on the spaghetti or ska sounding side. But I always loved the horns in Oingo Boingo, even though not surf, they are a cool example.
As for brass all night. I think that may be overkill. Spread out thoughout the set with a 1 to 4 song ratio is better for me.

-RT

With all due respect... I find this kind of thread moot. Why remove a possible sound from your pallet based on a pre-concieved notion? It's like an artist saying they hate red. And never using it. Sure it could still be art, but what if you want purple? We used sleigh bells on a song the other day in the studio. My first reaction was that it would sound too much like Christmas... well the way our drummer used it, it worked. Didn't sound like a sleghride, it added texture.

I like having all kinds of options, a trumpet doesn't have to be tiajuana brass...

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune
With all due respect... I find this kind of thread moot. Why remove a possible sound from your pallet based on a pre-concieved notion? It's like an artist saying they hate red. And never using it. Sure it could still be art, but what if you want purple? We used sleigh bells on a song the other day in the studio. My first reaction was that it would sound too much like Christmas... well the way our drummer used it, it worked. Didn't sound like a sleghride, it added texture.

I like having all kinds of options, a trumpet doesn't have to be tiajuana brass...

I totally agree...What next, "Do throat singers from Siberia belong in surf?" Who cares what other people like? If you dont like it dont listen to it, that doesnt mean its not good. Does guitar belong in surf? Nope...How about reverb? Im gonna start a surf band with a kazzo, a mouthharp, a penny whistle, and a washboard and play nothing but Ventures songs and will smash our instruments after every show.

spskins
I have absolutely no problem imagining surf music, historically, without trumpet. I'd walk out on the Madeira, Slacktone, Surf Coasters, or The 'Verb if they were going to have trumpet the entire show. No band is good enough to make up for the monstrosity that is trumpet.

Nobody here can even start to understand how much I hate that instrument. Thinking about it honestly makes me angry and I'm generally one of the most cheery people on the planet.

On the cheery aspect, most of you won't believe me but when you meet me in person you will see. I'm always all of my friend's parents favorite. Very Happy

I'd walk out on The 'Verb if we had trumpet the whole show as well. I personally feel we almost have too much trumpet. It is almost borderline.

IronMaiden, don't be such a killjoy. This thread was not started to answer the question, once and for all in a grand jury committee fashion, if trumpets belonged in surf. I believe the OP was just asking "how do you guys like trumpets in surf"? If your answer really is "who cares", then well, you could answer every thread on this forum with that answer and it wouldn't be much fun here.

Anyway, I think the spirit of the thread would be to point out songs or bands that feature the trumpet and if you felt it worked or not. And maybe turn some people on to something new.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next