Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira: Tribal Fires

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Tribal Fires got many spins during our rides in the El Ray tour-car. It just grows and grows for each spin and seeing The Madeira live just added to the magic. Superb!

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Cheers Getting some love from El Ray really means a lot, you guys are DA BOMB! Thank you very much, El Twang!

seeing The Madeira live just added to the magic.

That's exactly how I felt about El Ray! And in fact, all the other bands last weekend. Funny how that works, ain't it... Even in this day of virtual reality and YouTube and internet everything, seeing people in person still does make a difference....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:
Funny how that works, ain't it... Even in this day of virtual reality and YouTube and internet everything, seeing people in person still does make a difference....

Yes, and thank god (or someone else) for that!

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

eltwang wrote:

Yes, and thank god (or someone else) for that!

you are welcome my son.
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

A nice review of "Tribal Fires" CD in the New Gandy Dancer:

Ivan Pongracic and the boys are back. The Madeira always present themselves with a slick, professional front and huge guitars in a rock / exotica mix on largely original material. Opener "Tribal Fury" is a big Dick Dale tribute with lots of crashes and changes led by the great guitar and pulsating rhythm section. It's a "Baja" style intro to "Cities Of Gold" before the high flying guitars take over. Lots of passion is obvious on what is a beautifully produced album, mixed for maximum guitars. In amongst all the strong band originals, there's recognition for Australia's Atlantics on a furious "Giant" before Patrick O' Connor's lovely, haunting "Zanzibar", the final track on another solid collection from the boys * * (Davy)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I just got the new Pipeline zine from the UK. We're #1 for the editor Alan Taylor's Top Ten in this issue! He also writes a superb review - here it is:

The Madeira retain the melodic approach of '60s guitar instrumentals to which they apply the adrenaline-charged drive and sounds of surf music. Their roots are with the likes of Australia's Atlantics and the Tony-Meehan-era Shadows and they play as if surf and rock instrumentals still mattered as much as they did five decades ago. The album name Tribal Fires indicates that this should be a lively set and the track titles emphasize the point.
True to its promise, the opener "Tribal Fury" delivers excitement in spades, its swirling, crashing reverb guitars explode around the soundstage like a shower of dynamite. Phew, I'd be hard pushed to name a track as dynamic and exhilarating as this. There's further fire and fury on "Fire Sacrifice", "Witch Doctor", "Arcadian Voyage" and a fine cover of the Atlantics' storming "Giant". "Cities of Gold" pushes on apace with just a hint of "Geronimo" about its tune, while "Twilight" is a fine mid-tempo guitar ballad in the '60s tradition and "The Expedition" is an expressive uptempo piece.
Ernesto Lecuona's "Jungle Drums" provides a gently exotic passage and the group break out their acoustics for a lively Spanish dance on "Mar Vista". The tension builds with some six-string bass on "Pre-Ritual" which leads directly into the striking chords of "The Ritual" and its soaring double-picked soloing that builds to a crashing reverb climax. We're let down easy from this with the gentle descriptive ballad "Zanzibar", just one of the eleven excellent originals on this outstanding release from the Madeira.
Alan Taylor

This will probably be the final print review we'll receive for Tribal FIres, and I'd say it's a great one to end with. It's been a great year! Thank you all for your support, we're absolutely thrilled with the reception that Tribal Fires has received, and are very grateful to you all.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012 15:18:29

What no world tour now?
Cry

congrats on the well deserved review Ivan and guys.
And Thanks again for coming to Ca. to play at the SG101 convention,
it was truly jaw dropping.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012 15:37:15

bigtikidude wrote:

What no world tour now?

You know, we've thought about it, but it seemed like we'd only be doing it for the money, and we're not that kind of a band....

Rolling Eyes

congrats on the well deserved review Ivan and guys.

Thanks, Jeff!

And Thanks again for coming to Ca. to play at the SG101 convention,
it was truly jaw dropping.

Thanks again, that's really nice of you to say. That was FUN! Thank YOU for having us play, it was an honor and a privilege, especially to play between the amazing El Ray and Jon & the Nightriders! Something I will never forget...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Well, darn - so close!!!! Smile But still, BIG thanks to Pipeline, we in the Madeira GREATLY appreciate it and are deeply honored!!! (And the Dangermen album indeed is killer! Though, it came out in '11 - should it still count?? Twisted Evil )

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013 17:50:18

Nice Ivan, congrats!

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Hey maybe they're a year out of sync and you'll win in 2013! Wink

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Ummmmm...just one guy's opinion...Tribal Fires should've won. No disrespect to The Dangermen, but there's no contest.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I've never even heard of the Dangermen! Googling now...

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Thanks, both Mikes, and especially, Jonpaul! Well, you know, subjectivity of tastes, etc... Brian, the Dangermen had a track on the Continental sampler CD two or three issues ago, a phenomenal cover of Moon Probe, originally by a first wave band the Vulcanes. Their CD is definitely worth getting, I think it's excellent.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Oh, I actually wrote a review of the Dangermen CD on SG101!! Maybe I shouldn't have been quite so positive.... Twisted Evil

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ah, I do remember that track on the Continental sampler now. But I did manage to miss your review somehow the first time around.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Congratulations Ivan, you guys deserve it...though I'm another that the Dangermen release passed happily by...I'll have to check it out now.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Congrats!
Well deserved.
We were so busy with our own release this past fall that I must have missed the Dangermen release.
After finally reading your review we'll have to grab a copy.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Dangermen do not deserve this praise at all!! The Madeira created a masterpiece yet Dangermen just recreated different pieces of other peoples work.This makes no sense at all.Not that Pipeline magazine really matters anyway.The true fans of this genre know better don't we. Personally I'd go as far to say "Tribal Fires" should have been up for a Instrumental Grammy..[and WON!] if you ask me!
Carry On...Carry On!

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Ivan, your review of Meet the Men of Danger is full of praise. I have learned to trust your judgement on such matters musical, so I am certain this record is as good as you say, and that it deserves recognition. So do a number of terrific records from last year. But, not having heard it myself, I can not believe it is better than Tribal Fires. In addition to everything else about it that is great, the music, arrangements, performances, production, Tribal Fires has a mystical, perhaps spiritual quality to it. Its' music is so evocative and provocative that listening to it is transcecdental. Nothing in your review of Meet the Men of Danger comes close to saying it has that effect on the listener.

I actively avoid choosing between the musical effort of my friends; since my hat is never in the ring I feel there is a certain unseemliness to it. But I would have voted for Tribal Fires for this award if I'd had the opportunity. I believe it's that good.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013 09:41:54

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next