Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fenders new squier modified vintage surf strat.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Looks good, but to me the bodies on the 60's vibe strats just seems incredibly thin.

Get wet and loud wit... Abomionable Showmen FB Showmen Twitter

Oh my. This one is tempting. I need to stop reading this forum. Smile

I've got a strat that I've been thinking about putting lipstick pickups in. Does anyone have any experience with the various lipstick pickups out there- Duncan, GFS, etc?

If you think that the Duncan lipsticks are $70 each and 3 = $210 into an existing strat. Or maybe get this new Squier. Plus the terribly appealing surf green color.

I'd love to hear some impressions on how this guitar feels, plays, and sounds. I found a few things on the web but the not much given how new the guitar is.

I've purchased 2 Danelectro Vintage RI Lipstick tubes. One goes in my '61 Silvertone and the other is in my custom Telecaster in the middle position. I like the tone, good balance for rhythm and solo'ing. ( it's set up with 3 pu's like a Strat)

http://www.allparts.com/Danelectro-YesterYear-Vintage-Pickup-p/PU-6426-010.htm

I like 'em Smile

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012 23:37:32

MINE IS HERE!! Pictures don't do it justice! A video review will be forthcoming and posted here soon. Will have to wait until tomorrow after roomate regains consciousness before I can get serious with it. Thoughts so far: Cheesey quality trem bridge as should be expected from a squier, wafer-thin trem block and doesn't really stay in tune after divebombing as expected but easy fixes. Set up outta the box is mediocre and of course the frets are a little rough. All things to be expected of a guitar in this price range and a little more. These are made in Indonesia (think Samick produced) Fit & finish are exceptional and again, pictures don't do it justice.

Congrats! Smile Thanks for the early impressions.

Interesting that you say the trem/bridge is cheesy. From the photos I've seen it looks to be the same as on the Fender MIM standard strats. I have one of those and I think that the trem system is AOK. (Overall an excellent guitar that I'm very happy with except for the pickups.) I find that it stays in tune pretty well after I filed the nut slots and added some lubrication to the nut and other string contact points.

I'm anxious to see a video review to get an impression of how it sounds. If you can, maybe compare the clean sounds with some other guitar that we're familiar with.

Enjoy your new toy. Smile

Squiers are known for low-mass trem blocks, some lighter than others. Even the fairly heavy cast trem block in my MIM Strat was dwarfed by the massive weight of the machined Callaham trem block that's in it now.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

If you look at the block from the trem cavity you will see the Squier blocks are only about 1/4" thick compared to the 1/2" thick block of a USA Strat. If you don't want to put a $100 Callaham in a Squier you can get a $34 Wilkinson from Guitar Fetish but warning: you will probably have to fill holes and redrill for a new bridge. It really improved the sound and functionality of my Squier. The original arm was pretty useless with a lot of play.

I do find this one really good looking, and the idea is cool, but I thought the whole idea with lipstick pickups is that the Danelectros had the combination of the hollow body construction WITH the lipsticks made the surfy twangy sound.

These have solid bodies, so would you still get a Dano-ish tone from them? The only thing I would expect is a brighter tone or something.

"Dude it's SOOO drippy!! It's like water is going to start spurting out of your amplifier!"-Nathan Charles Dirig

Guitar YESS! my VM 70's strat has arrived! squier of course! looks good, plays ok (needs setting up) and sounds good! vintage white with duncan designed pups, the trem block is thin and the trem bar doesn't seem to want to screw in. all that can be fixed easily. still waiting on the surf strat to ship--waiting waiting!!
the beast has black pup covers; i'm not sure if i wanna keep 'em or not. and i have a mint green pickguard to put on it and aged knobs if i don't keep the black pup covers. large headstock too.
finally back in a strat Guitar Guitar

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

zzero-

Congrats. Smile Not quite the same thing but I played a CV 60's strat yesterday. For what it costs that is one impressive guitar.

ManOfMystery wrote:

I do find this one really good looking, and the idea is
cool, but I thought the whole idea with lipstick
pickups is that the Danelectros had the combination of
the hollow body construction WITH the lipsticks made
the surfy twangy sound.

These have solid bodies, so would you still get a
Dano-ish tone from them? The only thing I would expect
is a brighter tone or something.

Yes, I've been wondering the same thing. I've read that the Danelectros had their unique sound from both the lipsticks and the semi-hollow bodies. So I'm curious to see what sound a strat with lipsticks makes. SO I was thinking about putting lipsticks in my strat. Then this Squier surf strat comes along. Hmmm...

Isn't the Danelectro Dead On '67 a solidbody? Never played one though, so I don't know how it sounds compared to the semi-hollow Danos.

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

I have a Dano ri pick up in one of my solid body Tele's and it sound like a Dano! I'm sure it's not identical to a "hollow" body Dano, I restoring a Silvertone single pick up so I can't currently A/B them. But Lipstick tube pickups are very cool.

if only it was an offset!

"Dude it's SOOO drippy!! It's like water is going to start spurting out of your amplifier!"-Nathan Charles Dirig

Last edited: Mar 04, 2012 23:37:35

vintagesurfdude wrote:

I have a Dano ri pick up in one of my solid body Tele's
and it sound like a Dano! I'm sure it's not identical
to a "hollow" body Dano, I restoring a Silvertone
single pick up so I can't currently A/B them. But
Lipstick tube pickups are very cool.

Huh, well if you can mellow out a Tele to sound like a Dano with just the pup change that's a good sign.
I don't know, I was just wondering about the build thing because most Danos and old silvertones just have that middle block with a soundhole-less acoustic construction. The only solid bodied Dano I have heard of are the newer Dead On series, as for Silvertone the solid bodied stuff I think was the 1450's amp in case stuff and after that.

I guess it's like tele's and tele thinlines, they both sound the same but the thinline is more open sounding. So maybe this strat will just have a more concentrated, less warm and open Dano sound?
I'm excited none the less, love strats and lipsticks and surf, so this is the wow factor for me.

OK Big Grin my surf green squier surf strat has arrived. build quality is good, set-up is good, sounds good (mid-rangey) and looks great! stays tuned but i will replace the vintage style tuners. now for the bad part---the wang bar is near useless, it wobbles in the socket and forget about the guitar staying tuned. slight whammy bar use is all i have tried, no divebombing involved. might adjust it but probably won't. i don't use the things that much anyway.
my new VM 70's strat has the same problem--the wang bar is useless. i changed the pickguard, pup covers and knobs too for cosmetic reasons. it looks good!.will be changing the tuners too. it is more complex sounding than the lipstick pup model. nice glassy highs.

all in all, for the price (249 for VM 70's and 299 for surf strat) they aren't bad guitars at all, as i have said i am cheap and like to pay my house note. they are great for no-longer-performing-in-public players that just like to mess around at home or small gigs.

i love cheap guitars--they remind me of the old days when really good instruments were well out of my price range and i had to "make do" with what i had! surf blues?? whatever..... Cheers

hey, man of mystery!! hi dude!! i had one of the 2 pup amp in case model silvertones mabe by dano. cool little guitar!! very jangly and did fine for surf. remember, this was the early 60's. hollow-bodied and 2 lipstick pups. great tremolo on the amp in the case. wish i still had that rig, that guitar sounded really cool thru my silverface deluxe reverb!! Rock

Double post

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Last edited: Mar 04, 2012 08:02:14

BeachBumScott wrote:

Hey Zzero

Have you ever tried the "Fruda" way of setting up the
tuning?

It works for a 3 of my floating Strat style trems, all
stock Squiers.

"Maybe there aren't any surf bands; there's only surf music?" Tuck

Last edited: Mar 04, 2012 08:01:22