Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: My new vinyl is available now!!!!
126 days ago

SurfinUsa2007: Everybody’s Gone Surfin!
121 days ago

ArtS: Can't wait til Spring!!!
78 days ago

Clint: The Clint Beachwood Show can now be heard at https://soun... .... A new show will be posted every Monday.
77 days ago

PatGall: Surf guitar
45 days ago

Pirecords: Hellllloooo people of Earth
28 days ago

TheOutpost: strap
28 days ago

ArtS: Spam Formum posts this morning. Do not click.
28 days ago

Floyd: Tremolo
22 days ago

bigtikidude: Who’s coming to SG101?
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

63%

63%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The TomorrowMen: It's About Time

New Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

JStern wrote:

I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I just downloaded "It's about time" on iTunes a couple days ago, and have listened to the album about 10 times since. Holy cow, that is some amazing songwriting.

I will once again take this opportunity to strongly agree!!

The harmonies are very modern, with a lot of doubly chromatically mediant relationships (roots of chords a tritone apart) which is one of the trademarks of the sound of modern american classical music (every John Williams score ever).

This is my question: Danny, did you know this is what you were doing? Just curious....

Ivan
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Yes, I admit I did know what I was doing Big Grin As a young man I played what could be called experimental or a bit avant garde where I really explored odd chordal juxtapositions. I really connected with the drama of stacking iii chords on top of each other. Sets up a good tension that works for space surf or horror surf. The trick is to find a good hook that will draw the listener in, as the slight dissonance can easily put listeners off. The other trick is to not over do it! (I'm still working on that)

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

That is SO cool, Danny. There you go, folks, one CAN use real theory in surf music, and make some incredible music.

Ivan
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks Ivan! I'll go a bit further. My old band The Sardonics explored a hybrid genre called "Hard Swing" where we took my post punk influences and married it to swing time music. It was simultaneously dark and bouncy. Imagine Buzzcocks with Gene Krupa sitting in, with a beat poet speak-singing on top. Anyway.... here's a demo I made at the time (1992?) that never got picked up. My idea was to stack a whole bunch of minor chords on top of each other. Given the quantity of chords there was no chance of coming up with a melody haha. But we had a singer then so I didn't need to (I forgot just now) Forgive the drum machine and bass mangling.

http://soundcloud.com/tomorrowmen/beware-the-tritone

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012 09:50:39

I like it! Not only is it cool from a harmonic standpoint, but I really like the rhythmic content too, especially the use of hemiola. Have you guys ever heard "The Bad Plus"? They are a trio who play all sorts of music, they recently recorded a trio version of Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring." Those guys push all sorts of limits, even taking on 12 tone compositions such as those by Milton Babbitt. (It's a trip hearing Ethan improvise over a 12 tone row...).

I always jump at the chance to geek out on some music theory by the way.

Check out this video...

The Techtonics reverb nation page

Soundcloud page

Clepak just posted this on another thread about our album:

clepak wrote:

One of the best CD I purchased this year (if not the best). Great melodies, great sound, with a special mention for Clair de Lune's cover wich I find brilliant.
Now I really need to see The Tomorrowmen live so I hope you'll come to Europe one day and this time play in Belgium (because I couldn't make it to Italy).
Keep up the good work.

Thanks a ton Clepak, we'd love to tour northern Europe some day.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

DannySnyder wrote:

Clepak just posted this on another thread about our album:

clepak wrote:

One of the best CD I purchased this year (if not the best). Great melodies, great sound, with a special mention for Clair de Lune's cover wich I find brilliant.
Now I really need to see The Tomorrowmen live so I hope you'll come to Europe one day and this time play in Belgium (because I couldn't make it to Italy).
Keep up the good work.

Thanks a ton Clepak, we'd love to tour northern Europe some day.

We're waiting for ya !

Monkey Ju

Pirato Ketchup
Facebook
Bandcamp

This album is amazing!!! I love the way Run Ripley Run starts.. Super intense!!! The whole album is a masterpiece. I really hope there's another one on the horizon..is there?...please!!

Gnarlokk wrote:

This album is amazing!!! I love the way Run Ripley Run starts.. Super intense!!! The whole album is a masterpiece. I really hope there's another one on the horizon..is there?...please!!

Yes! May we have some more, please?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Noel wrote:

Gnarlokk wrote:

This album is amazing!!! I love the way Run Ripley Run starts.. Super intense!!! The whole album is a masterpiece. I really hope there's another one on the horizon..is there?...please!!

Yes! May we have some more, please?

Yes you may Noel, We're hoping for an August 1st release of our new album "Futourism"

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

DannySnyder wrote:

Noel wrote:

Gnarlokk wrote:

This album is amazing!!! I love the way Run Ripley Run starts.. Super intense!!! The whole album is a masterpiece. I really hope there's another one on the horizon..is there?...please!!

Yes! May we have some more, please?

Yes you may Noel, We're hoping for an August 1st release of our new album "Futourism"

It's about time! Big Grin Seriously, this is fantastic news!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I am still listening to this album regularly and loving it!

bIG_wAvE_Dave

Thanks Dave!

If any of you missed this, hear it on Spotify...

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I bought it last summer after hearing Claire De Lune on NSSR. Great album. And it was fortuitous that I stumbled upon the Tomorrowmen when I did. I got to see them play earlier this year (and again last month) and meet Danny in person. What cool guy and a great guitar player.

It's a funny coincidence I stumbled upon this thread today. I'm laying over in Germany right now and I was playing this album in my hotel room while ironing my uniform shirt and getting packed for my flight tomorrow.

  • Stephen
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4
Top