Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink SG101 Maintenance Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

FYI: I'll probably take the site down for an hour or less on Sunday morning / afternoon.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I just pushed a bunch of javascript / cosmetic changes. If you see anything weird please clear your browser's cache. On most browsers you can do this with the shortcut CTRL-SHIFT-DELETE. See here for more details.

Hi Brian. Someone just sent a PM and when I tried to reply (press the reply button at the bottom) the message popup frame thingie disappeared.

Cache has been cleared - probably my pc as usual - just thought i'd mention it.

Yeah it seems private messages are broken right now. I'll look into it.

I think I have fixed private messages. You may have to refresh your browser's cache to pick up the fix (CTRL-SHIFT-DEL on most browsers).

Thank you very much Crumble for the bug report!

Is this similar to the second Smilies box (by the Submit button) disappearing if I try to drag it up the screen? Then it won't reappear until I refresh the screen. I simply assumed it was Windows 8 tormenting me until I read these posts.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 09, 2013 20:51:59

No Noel, that's a new one. Sigh

The bug with the "more smilies" and "markdown help" dialogs where they jump to the very bottom of the screen when you try to drag them somewhere is a bug in the 3rd party javascript library I am using. They have fixed the issue but it hasn't been released yet. I'll keep my eye out for it and upgrade to it as soon as it is available.

Hi Brain. This might not be related to SG101 coding but I'll mention it anyway. For better or worse i'm using ImageShack to host photographs. Lately some photos appear as a blank box, refreshing my browser has the strange effect of randomly fixing some photos which were blank and blanking some photos which originally working ok. Right clicking a blank photo area and choosing "Show Picture"(IE10) brings the photo to the fore within a fraction of a second.

Lastly, are happy with bug reporting in the Maintenance thread or is there a bug thread i'm not seeing.

That could mean a network problem between you and ImageShack. I know you love IE but you could also try another browser as they might cache images better / differently. In any event I don't think that is a SG101 issue unless it has to do with the image resizing javascript we have. Does this happen on large photos that are being resized? Or any old image? Is there an example thread I could look at?

This thread is fine for now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013 11:24:15

I'm noticing the behaviour mainly on my "Hoffman 6G15 Board" thread: http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/9838/?page=1#p293137 and some other forum members photo uploads, not so many but more than usual. I usually resize my large photos to 800x600 before uploading.

Smile I'm not sure I love IE but other browsers are not entirely for free and i'd rather the devil I know.

I use Firefox (Mozilla) when all else fails

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

I'm not sure when this started, but when I click on a post, I never know where on that page my screen will land. But it's NEVER at the post I selected. Sometimes at the top or bottom of the page, but often somewhere at random in the middle of the page.

This isn't such a problem if I'm looking at a new comment; it will be the last one. But when I've done a search and I'm not taken to the comment I selected, I have no idea where on the page it is.

Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks!

tubeswell wrote:

I use Firefox (Mozilla) when all else fails

Frustratingly I am using a cable ISP who boast "Unlimited Broadband" and then in small print "so long as you download anything" hence I am hit by draconian daytime use restrictions and traffic flow management. If I exceed the limit then my bandwidth is reduced by 75% for 5 hours. I can only up/download freely after 12am. I'd like to change ISP but I only have cable telephone system and changing is expensive. Now, if you monitor bytes in and out and use an app called "Process Monitor" you'll be amazed how much activity there is going on even if the PC is idle. This may not be the truth, just my opinion that the more programs/apps you have the less bandwidth that you pay for is yours.

Brian, when I click the PM button the text box appears without automatically filling out the To: box. I'm sure it used to do before didn't it?

Noel wrote:

I'm not sure when this started, but when I click on a post, I never know where on that page my screen will land. But it's NEVER at the post I selected. Sometimes at the top or bottom of the page, but often somewhere at random in the middle of the page.

This isn't such a problem if I'm looking at a new comment; it will be the last one. But when I've done a search and I'm not taken to the comment I selected, I have no idea where on the page it is.

Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks!

I'm guessing you are only seeing this problem in threads with resized photos. When people post huge pictures to threads, some Javascript resizes the photo so it doesn't blow out the site. However the underlying web page is not apparently aware that the photo got resized and still thinks the photo is huge. So when you give it a link to a particular post it gets screwed up and often puts the page in a weird spot. I'm not sure I can do anything about this other than turn off the javascript resizer. Perhaps once people start using the image uploader this will be less of a problem.

I'll see if I can jam the image size but I'm not hopeful.

crumble wrote:

Brian, when I click the PM button the text box appears without automatically filling out the To: box. I'm sure it used to do before didn't it?

Yes this is a bug. I'll put it on the to-do list.

Yes, Brian, only with resized photos. Thanks.

Although it just did it to me on this thread! Maybe something else is going on.

One last thing, Brian. Is there any way to tweak the search engine so it can find a word that's double-quoted in the original text.

For example, there's this topic, "Hawaiian" Sounding Guitar Chords?, and the search engine can't find it, probably because of the quotes. It doesn't matter if I put the quotes in the search string or leave them out. Nothing. I can find it if I enter Sounding Guitar Chords, but that really isn't how people normally search for things, by leaving out the primary word they're looking for.

I sometimes spend time trying to learn how to search SG101 more effectively, and this one has me stumped, other than telling people not to quote anything they want someone else to find again.

Oh, yeah. Nor'easter isn't searchable either. Hmmm.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013 12:54:31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next