PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
127 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
12 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink One-man-band guitars/effects/amps arsenal?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Acoustics/acoustic-electrics - for instrumental composition/songwriting:
-Epiphone PR100, 6-string
-Epiphone PR350-12E, 12-string

-Johnson JG-622-E, bass*

Electrics:
-Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 90 (Gibson upgrades, Bigsby B5 added)
-Epiphone ES-295 or Gretsch Electromatic G5127
-Fender Standard Telecaster (upgraded)

-Fender Standard Stratocaster (upgraded)
-Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat

-Fender FS-52 Lap Steel
-Fender Stratocaster XII
-undecided baritone

Bass:
-Fender Standard Precision Bass (upgraded)*
-Fender Standard Jazz Bass (will be upgraded)

Guitar amps:
-Fender AmpCan (with my Epi LP, for impromtu jams outside my home studio)
-Peavey TransTube 258 EFX (good for practice)

-Fender '65 Twin Custom 15
-Crate CPB150 PowerBlock (in case I absolutely have to record DI)*

Guitar effects:
-Danelectro Reel Echo Tape Simulator?
-Danelectro Spring King Spring Reverb?
-Dunlop Dallas Arbeiter Fuzz Face?
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah?
-Dunlop Uni-Vibe?
-Ibanez TS808 Vintage Tube Screamer Reissue?

Bass amps:
-Vox T25 (good for practice)*
-Fender Bassman 150
-open to suggestions, for a bass DI box

Everything above that I've marked * I already own, and the effects list I've marked with ? for suggestions...yeah/nay/something else. Any effects I won't need with the Custom 15, but would need with the PowerBlock? At least at this point, I already own nearly all of the guitars I intend to use, although I'll be selling off quite a few of them, and those I haven't mentioned here (but they've been mentioned elsewhere). Once I ever decide to form a band, I'll have a good options, toward deciding what our sound will be, based on what we have available individually. If it would happen to be a situation of me looking to join a band, I'd probably do good to take my Tele, Strat and AmpCan, then maybe mention my other options once I'm in one.

Some of the above mentioned guitars I've mentioned I could get via lay-aways, which will be helpful for not having bottomless pockets. Perhaps I should have gone for the better models, with the Tele and Strat, but I'm not going to undo that. I'd tried a ton of each before making my ultimate decision, so I could claim luck for ending up with Standards that sound every bit as good as the more expensive models, but it'd only be a lil' white lie. Once I upgrade all of my Standards, nobody should really notice the difference, unless they're expecting it so much they hear it. Of course I'll also start looking around at pawn shops, and in the used gear sections of guitar stores, on the off-hand chance that I might find a good used example of any of the guitars and bass that I'm planning to buy.

As it is, my current total guitar collection sits at 12, and despite several revisions of my to-buy list, against those I'll be selling, it looks like I'm stuck at 12 either way. But they'll all be used toward creating my original music, and I'll have some good options for when I form/join a band, so all is/will be truly well for my future as a musician, as far as I'm concerned.

Matt

edit: my total collection will be at 13, with a baritone. I'll have to get me some Lucky 13 shirts, to wear when I go to see surf/rockabilly/psychobilly bands perform. Twisted Evil

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Do you really need all that stuff just for home recording? Try using the Bassman as your guitar amp. And just how much of a difference is there between the two Strats? If you really think you're going to need that much stuff, try getting gear that's more versatile.

It just sounds like overkill, that's all. Unless, of course, you're planning on renting stuff out when you're not using it.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

You don't have a reverb unit. You need one of those. And you really don't need much of what you have. You have an acoustic bass? That really isn't needed.

What no kazoo? Every one-man-band must have a kazoo! I recommend the Gibson K5000 Tiny Tim Signiture Series, its made out of Brazillian Rosewood grown in African Volcanic ash.

(Just Kidding)

I thought I had a lot of equipment with 2 guitars and 2 amps...Ive got equipment envy...

do you play at all ? or just sit and look at all your equipment. Wink

I have over 1200 surf cd's sometimes I get overwhelmed and just sit and look at them and shake my head in disbelief, and then Grab a AC/DC cd instead.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

There are those among us who have a serious illness: G.A.S. Wink
Please don't pity us, but try to understand the affliction. It's hit
me so hard, I don't wanna be cured.

Bob S.

(For those who don't know, G.A.S. = Gear Aquisition Syndrome)

Bob

I think Matt needs an intervention.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Start a band? Heck, you could open your own music store;)
Just wondering where would you store your loot? My guitarsenal (all three) rarely ever see the inside of their cases and bags.
When we moved into our home I made sure that the bathroom door was to the right of the toilet (can't have the neck sticking out the door during moments of "inspiration"), and more than once I've had to move an amp and recording microphone because my wife wanted to take a shower.
Cool gear list!

Dean(aka Moondevil)
deanmatherly.com

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006 22:39:49

Matt,
Seriously, I have a ton of gear. However, it seems like you're just kind of grasping at straws when it comes to "well, if I buy this guitar, I can get this sound, and if I buy that guitar, I can sound like something a little different".

Find your sound, chuck like half the guitars on that list, and seek the tone you want to have. If it weren't for sentimental attachment, all I'd have would be 3, maybe 4 guitars, my showman, my 4 pedals, and my reverb tank. That's all I need to get the sound I want. Sure, if I want to play Jazz, I may use my big Epiphone Jazz box, but I'm not going to put that on a surf record. If I wanna play rockabilly, I have a handful of guitars I can do that with, but if I want to play surf, I have maybe 5 guitars that I think will really cut the mustard.

You don't need acoustics to write music on... you just need a guitar that will feel comfortable in your hands. Hell, I have 3 acoustics that sit out in my home at all times, and you know what? None of them has had so much as a string change in almost two years. Why? Because when I wanna play surf, I want to play it on MY guitar.

Sorry if I'm coming off harsh here man, but I feel I'm really just echoing what a number of people on here have already said.

~B~

I own a ton of gear as well and I am only 22. Nice stuff as well. I just think indiana_surfguitar is trying to get too many sounds.

Hey Jake,
What all do you have? I know you've got the two fender amps, at least one tank, the two jags, the JM, and the Gretsch. Any other gems you've been sitting on?

I'm 25, and at the pace I've been going, I seem to pick up about a guitar a year since I started playing...

~B~

well, one point for Matt to consider seriously, is that about none of what he buys will appreciate in value. more likely, it will devaluate pretty quickly. Even if you want to build an arsenal, I think it's best to buy less at a time, and get things that hold their value, like Jake and Bill seem to be doing. Also it might be wise(r) to invest in some recording equipment, and start recording some music.

fwiw, esp. in a band, I like the idea of being able to do all with just one guitar, I absolutly HATE to have to switch guitars inbetween songs.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

SurfBandBill
Hey Jake,
What all do you have? I know you've got the two fender amps, at least one tank, the two jags, the JM, and the Gretsch. Any other gems you've been sitting on?

I'm 25, and at the pace I've been going, I seem to pick up about a guitar a year since I started playing...

~B~

You've got my gear down.

'64 Showman
64 Custom Shot Vibroverb
RI Tank
Jap Jag with black inlays and matching headstock
AVRI Jag refinished in Burgundy Mist Metallic
'71 Sunburst Jazzmaster
Gretsch 6118T-120

I've got a Martin copy by Yamaha which used to be my dads, a poorly made but surprisingly good sounding student guitar, and a Ibanez GAX with Gibson '57 classics in it. The pickups are worth more than the guitar. And I've got a Crate and Vox Brian May amp... And a wah pedal which I learnt Voodoo Child on yesterday with my gretsch even though I haven't used the wah in 5 years and hadn't heard voodoo child in 4 years.

That is a lot of $$....

sell it all...and get yourself a mosrite, a showman, and a fender reverb...

Wink
just kidding

-dp

ps: you definately need a cowbell, a tambourine and some claves on that list...percusion.

everything could use a little more cowbell

Jeff(bigtikidude)
sorry I couldn't help myself

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
everything could use a little more cowbell

Jeff(bigtikidude)
sorry I couldn't help myself

Laughing

Just laughed so hard I spit my gum out onto the front of my shirt.

The Thunderchiefs

Hmm. Well here's my mighty arsenal:

Electrics:
Stratocaster

Acoustics:
Stratocaster, not plugged in

Bass:
Stratocaster + Whammy pedal

Very Happy

This guys seems to be on a tone quest. I say that is all fine. But I think what indiana_surfguitar really needs is a Fender Twin Reverb, a Line 6 Variax Guitar w/ trem arm and a Line 6 Pod XT.

imageimageimage

SSIV

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006 11:37:25

Not that anyone asked, but I figure while we're on the topic of how much gear people have, I'll try to list my stuff:

Amps:
'67 Dual showman with 2x15 cab (loaded with JBLs - one D-130, one D-140f)
'64 Twin Reverb
Acoustic 150b Bass amp w/ 2x15 cab
Crate PowerBlock (yeah, go ahead and roll your eyes, Jake Rolling Eyes )
Alamo 2x12 combo (a great little jazz amp)
Univox 2x12 combo (decent tone, good reverb, but QUIET) - a steal at $25

"Effects":
'66 Fender Blackface Tank
Reissue brown tank
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
Danecho Digital Delay
Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus
Verbafuzz Fuzz Pedal
Other random stuff -- wah pedal, volume pedal, multi-effect digital processor, old school distortion pedals

Guitars:
Mosrite "Excellent" Ventures Model
MIA Reissue Fender Jazzmaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar (about a '97)
Hallmark Sweptwing
'74 Fender P-Bass
Danelectro Baritone
Danelectro Hodad
Sakai -- some random mosrite looking thing with 4 single coils
'65 Magnatone Typhoon
Custom Built '67 Fender Bronco w/Bigsby and a Seymour Duncan Twang-Banger pickup
Squier Strat (my first electric guitar!)
Silvertone Danelectro 3/4 size w/amp in case

Epiphone Emperor II jazz box
Gibson Les Paul Recording Model
Epiphone Les Paul
Guild Acoustic... from the 70s I think
2 cheap-o classical guitars
Aria 12-string acoustic
Silvertone steel string acoustic from the 60s

All this, and I'm just 25. Some days I feel compelled to pitch it all and put a downpayment on a house. Between all that, the small PA, a slew of mics and stands, and Taylor's half-drumset that he keeps at my place, I could theoretically house a small club in my garage.

So go ahead, talk smack for me being a hypocrite. Hell, I don't blame you. But like I said, most of those guitars tend to just "hang out" while I play my main 4 or 5 guitars. But I will say, when we got into the studio, I tend to bring a SLEW of guitars with me for overdubs and varied tones.

~B~

dp
sell it all...and get yourself a mosrite, a showman, and a fender reverb...

Wink
just kidding

-dp

ps: you definately need a cowbell, a tambourine and some claves on that list...percusion.

dp, at this point, I'm actually becoming inclined to agree with you...except for the Mosrite part, but you were just kidding, so all is good. I'll keep my acoustics, though, as I could always take one or the other (6 or 12-string) to places where dragging an amp would be a burden...such as camping. Since I only have the 3 acoustics (including the Johnson bass), they could go in their own stand, and I could keep my new collection of electrics down to the point that they'd all fit into a 7 guitar corner stand...save for the lap steel, but I'd find some place for it that's out of the way, but easily accessable.

Once I have a new "brace" of 8 electrics, a few pieces of recording gear or PC-based DAW, the amps and effects, then I can get down to the business of recording, and still manage to have 2 CDs recorded by this time next year. I do have to allow that I have to wait about 3 (maybe 4) months before I'll be able to go for some of the real "big ticket" items, such as a Fender '65 Twin Custom 15 combo, but in the interim I can be selling off a bunch of guitars, and maybe get in a lay-away or two for ones that will form the backbone of my musical soundscapes. I only mention eventually forming a band, after I've recorded 2 or 3 one-man-band CDs, from thinking "what if people actually like my songs enough to want me to perform live?"

I could just as easily buy me a smokin' Mac mini, or iMac, load it with iLife (which includes Garagae Band) and Garage Band plug-ins, then burn to a CD the results, but what fun would that be? Which would be more sacreligious...creating surf guitar instrumentals entirely in the bitstream, or playing a P-90 equipped Gibson Les Paul or SG? That's why I've said it'll be interesting to hear what becomes of my one-man-band creations, once I actually form a band. I'm not going to expect a perspective rhythm guitar player to own "X" guitar, just because that's what I recorded with. Whenever I form a band, it'll be about what we can do, live, with what I've already create, and what we can create, together, into the future.

So from here, I'll keep quiet about my future recording ideals, continue participating in some threads here and there, and right around this time next year, I'll let y'all hear what I've created. A good bit of the time factor, in this, will be from several readings of any manuals that come with the recording gear...read, read again, read and understand, read again in case I missed something...then hit "record." I do also need to start looking at the Recording section, here, as well...maybe pick up a few tips/gear selections while I'm waiting to actually be able to buy recording gear.

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next