Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32

I found one of these during a sound check and decided to use it all night. Cool pick “beta carbonate”. It’s very pointy, like a jazz pick but not completely chunky or inflexible. It has a gel-like grip area. The point really lets you pick quickly. Much clearer and more pronounced tone than anything else I’ve tried. I recommend the heavy version over medium.
Besides that, I use heavy Fender or the dark pink Dunlop 500.

http://www.coolmusicinc.com/portfolio-items/cool-beta-carbonate/

Kitten and The Tonics

https://kittenandthetonics.com/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024 10:00:53

TallTenor wrote:

I found one of these during a sound check and decided to use it all night. Cool pick “beta carbonate”.

I love Cool picks! I have tried those semi-flexible gel-ish picks and they don't slip at all and do sound super plucky and bold. The only problem I had is that after just a few "heavy picking" songs, the tips were gone! It was just flat where the tip used to be. I find the white with the blue sandpaper patch to be the best compromise. I sure love the sound and feel of those kind, but I can't be blowing through $1 picks by the dozen for a single set!

Daniel Deathtide

I've used these Snarling Dogs Brain Picks for years. I like the grip on them as I injured a tendon in my thumb when I was younger and my grip isn't super reliable.

I'm having a hard time getting tremolo picking down, though... maybe I need to move up from .88 to a thicker size?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024 21:25:03

AgentClaret wrote:

maybe I need to move up from .88 to a thicker size?

you never know, I think a thicker pick could unlock the tremolo door. I would say try a couple of thicker ones, including a 1 mm. I am very intrigued about what you say about the grip. Are they tacky or something? I really enjoy digging in super hard when tremolo picking, but I see excellent players picking lightly with excellent results. Also I hear people tremolo picking with a thin pick with excellent results, which I cannot accomplish.

Daniel Deathtide

AgentClaret wrote:

I've used these Snarling Dogs Brain Picks for years. I like the grip on them as I injured a tendon in my thumb when I was younger and my grip isn't super reliable.

I'm having a hard time getting tremolo picking down, though... maybe I need to move up from .88 to a thicker size?

I’ve found that I do my best tremolo picking with a stiffer pick, and at least for me, a pick slightly smaller than the standard sized Fender pick. The pick I do best with is the V-Picks Chicken Picker or Bullseye. For mass market picks, the Jim Dunlop 477-205 works best for me. The V-Picks will probably sound better for Surf.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Yikes, those V-picks are not cheap! I was gonna pick a few up for the heck of it but that might be something I gotta budget for!

AgentClaret wrote:

Yikes, those V-picks are not cheap! I was gonna pick a few up for the heck of it but that might be something I gotta budget for!

Not cheap, but they are great picks. There’s one called the Van Zen which is 4mm thick, which makes it easier to grasp, but the edges are sharply tapered, which makes it sound more like a thinner pick. All this, for a mere $10 each. Actually, the Chicken Picker may be the best for my use, and these are a lot less costly.

dp wrote:

since MOSHAY has ceased production,
I have recently tried something a little different: CoolPicks "CatTongue"

the cat-tongue grip surface has a pretty cool feel, and they seem to grip the finger tip pretty good.
The nylon tip sounds good with decent response and resistance.
I still have a buttload of MOSHAYS, but someday I'm sure I'll run out.

anyone use HERCO?
I've been trying a couple of those, too.
I kind-of like 'em...especially for bass playin'...

Yeah I use the Whitish Flex 75 Holy Grails there are awesome love them.......

The Brain Picks I was talking about have that cats tongue surface, it's great!

I found an old small but fat and pointy pick in my collection and started playing with it last night and it did seem like I was getting a little extra picking speed out of it!

synchro wrote:

AgentClaret wrote:

Not cheap, but they are great picks. There’s one called the Van Zen which is 4mm thick, which makes it easier to grasp, but the edges are sharply tapered, which makes it sound more like a thinner pick. All this, for a mere $10 each. Actually, the Chicken Picker may be the best for my use, and these are a lot less costly.

I bit the bullet and bought a couple Chicken Pickers on Amazon...

Dude, you weren't kidding; they're great! I don't think it's just a placebo effect but I feel like I'm immediately playing faster. I like how they kind of adhere to your skin too.

I guess I'm buying $5+ picks now?!?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024 19:21:27

AgentClaret wrote:

synchro wrote:

AgentClaret wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought a couple Chicken Pickers on Amazon...

Dude, you weren't kidding; they're great! I don't think it's just a placebo effect but I feel like I'm immediately playing faster. I like how they kind of adhere to your skin too.

I guess I'm buying $5+ picks now?!?

They are exceptionally good.

joebonni wrote:

dp wrote:

since MOSHAY has ceased production,
I have recently tried something a little different: CoolPicks "CatTongue"

the cat-tongue grip surface has a pretty cool feel, and they seem to grip the finger tip pretty good.
The nylon tip sounds good with decent response and resistance.
I still have a buttload of MOSHAYS, but someday I'm sure I'll run out.

anyone use HERCO?
I've been trying a couple of those, too.
I kind-of like 'em...especially for bass playin'...

Yeah I use the Whitish Flex 75 Holy Grails there are awesome love them.......

I just started using the Dunlop Jazz 3 Carbon Fiber picks and they are very fast I think I am going to stick on these!!!!!!

Here’s a suggestion for a pick that might prove useful in maximizing drip. It’s the Fred Kelly Speed Pick, in a light gauge.

Most thumb picks don’t suit me all that well, but the Fred Kelly Slick Pick works very well for me, because you can use it as a thumb pick, or grip it like a flat pick. I use these for any fingerstyle setting, because I can grip it, and play my blazing and amazing arpeggios Smile and then return to my regularly scheduled thumb picking, at will. In all seriousness, they are a great pick, and there’s no real disadvantage between one of these and a flat pick, which I also use, depending upon the song.

The pick pictured below is the Fred Kelly Speed Pick, which is also a grip panel thumb pick, but with a very narrow picking surface. This makes for a very sharp attack, which is a great way to maximize drip. I’ve owned some of these for years, but hadn’t used one in a while, but I thought I would give one a try, just for Surf sounds, and it did not disappoint me. I think that it’s at least worth a try, if you are still wrangling with plectrum selection. I placed a link to these, at Strings By Mail, which is a vendor I’ve had good luck with, but there is no affiliation involved.

Last edited: Apr 07, 2024 11:15:30

Looking at the photo I just posted; is that pick flipping me off? Smile

synchro wrote:

That was my first thought.

taijiguy wrote:

synchro wrote:

It’s a very defiant pick. Smile

synchro wrote:

taijiguy wrote:

synchro wrote:

It’s a very defiant pick. Smile

Defiant, yet insulting. Face Palm

Ive been using custom made giant picks, ranging from 6mm-8.5mm

SHADOWNIGHT5150 wrote:

Ive been using custom made giant picks, ranging from 6mm-8.5mm

Is that the thickness? I sometimes use a 4mm thick V-Pick, which is quite easy to hold onto.

Has anyone tried these picks from Dan's Guitar Store?

Precision Picks

I really liked the V-picks Chicken Pickers but am a little dismayed at the ratio of the cost vs. how quickly the tip wears off of them...

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32