Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink what do you use for pedalboard ?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Mel

JakeDobner

Mel

JakeDobner
Not at all!

We'll just let this be your little secret then. I know if I tried something like that after paying studio rates, my bandmates, the session players, the engineer or the producer would probably beat me to death with my own guitar. And rightly so.

Mel

You really can't tell, a couple cents really isn't very much. And I'm sensitive to de-tuned strings. I just happen not to mind. It's a musical aesthetic choice. Having everything perfectly in tune just can sound way too sterile. And in a lot of the duller surf music, that is a problem. So having a few cents deviation is not the end of the world, it just builds some tension. Anything serious, you have to retune. And there is a difference of being a few cents shy and out of tune.

I'll agree to call it "a musical aesthetic choice" and leave it at that.

Mel

For me, I can't stand not being in tune. Currently, my guitar has wonky intonation (I just need to get it set-up) and it's the same with my other guitar player, and whenever we play a line together, in unison, it makes me cringe like crazy. It's just enough out of tune to be noticeable, which isn't much, but it drives me crazy.

I don't think I could record with even a minorly off-intonated guitar, but I suppose it's personal. I've only found Neil Young to be able to pull of that in-tune-but-not-really sound. J Mascis tries to do it, and I guess he succeeds, but I can't really handle it. Early Flaming Lips was like that with the vocals and it drove me bonkers as well...

I'm just very particular, though. If I find a line is feeling a bit sterile, I try to add tension or flavour by adjusting my playing style accordingly, which oddly enough might mean digging in harder and probably pushing the string a bit out of tune.

Just finished My PT-Mini.. Works great and nice and small w/ everything for my surf Band to my 80's Dance-band!image

Wow thanks for all the reply's I certainly can make something nice,
btw rotnroby what do you think of the polytune is it a good tuner ?

Member of the league of banana yamaha's !

Intonation is different from being slightly out of tune. Improper intonation makes a guitar unplayable.

surfin_bird

Yeah!! The polytuner work very well indeed! It's very fast and you can tune your guitar with all string at one time!! Crazy fast tuning...

Pedal pad xl with a couple of voodoo lab pedal power IIs underneath powering everything.

EricB
imagePedal pad xl with a couple of voodoo lab pedal power IIs underneath powering everything.

You have the best board on SG101!!! You should get a tap tempo delay though, then it would be perfect!

i use ...the floor...but I usually only have 2 or 3 pedals...at most...

JakeDobner
You have the best board on SG101!!! You should get a tap tempo delay though, then it would be perfect!

Thanks Jake. It's actually in pieces right now. My band is recording our first album, and the studio guy has me removing any pedals I'm not using for a song from the signal chain. So I basically just yanked everything off the board and have been plugging in to one or two pedals at a time. I've got some changes in mind for when it's being reassembled, and I'll definitely give a tap tempo delay some consideration.

Nice board a bit on the large side however, you got the all the tools to do the job! I've got a larger board too that I'll send some pics later.. I only use it with my 80s dance band

rotnroby

surfin_bird

Yeah!! The polytuner work very well indeed! It's very fast and you can tune your guitar with all string at one time!! Crazy fast tuning...

I love my Polytune-especially with my Rickenbacker 12-string. It probably saved me from going to a 12-saddle bridge-which I definitely did not want to do.

http://line6.com/m13/
I'm using this lately, it is easy to use, versatile, has a good tuner, tap tempo and can be set to analog/true bypass as well. I mainly only use the delays, it models Echoplex (tube and solid state, Memory Man and Binson Rec delays plus others. The Equalizers come in handy too. At about $500 it costs less than a bunch of pedals and it sounds pretty good to me. I used it for our first gig at Suzy's.

Hey Srormtiger!! How's the surf Sean in Ventura now? Got some stuff comming up in SB soon gonna try and work w/ Kelp...

rotnroby
Hey Srormtiger!! How's the surf Sean in Ventura now? Got some stuff comming up in SB soon gonna try and work w/ Kelp...

Other than Don & I, and my duet The Sea Hunters, there is no surf music scene in Ventura that I'm aware of. We had to get Dave Pike from the Mojave Desert to play bass. Sam Bolle lives here but he's too busy. Say hello to Paul, I'm keeping an eye on things in beautiful Santa Barbara.

Stormtiger

rotnroby

Other than Don & I, and my duet The Sea Hunters, there is no surf music scene in Ventura that I'm aware of. We had to get Dave Pike from the Mojave Desert to play bass. Sam Bolle lives here but he's too busy. Say hello to Paul, I'm keeping an eye on things in beautiful Santa Barbara.

Sorry for the hijack you guys!! Shot me a PM perhaps we could put together a show with all of us up here in SB??? Nice to hear from u.. Robby.

@ elraydlp,
thanks for that comment because I have a yamaha sg 12-string and that I was wondering if it worked with that !
(btw are you from the band el ray ? if you are I will probably see you at the 4th of september Laughing )

that m13 looks nice !!

surfin_bird
that m13 looks nice !!

Colored lights! Sweet!

JakeDobner
Intonation is different from being slightly out of tune. Improper intonation makes a guitar unplayable.

Are you saying that you dig the slight phasing sound you would get at times from a two-guitar combo with one slighty not at pitch?

And yes, this is Off Topic

SSIV

LHR

JakeDobner

Are you saying that you dig the slight phasing sound you would get at times from a two-guitar combo with one slighty not at pitch?

And yes, this is Off Topic

Yeah, definitely. Doesn't always work, depends on how dense a track is, or the tonal spectrum of some of the stuff on top of it.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next