Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
265 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
258 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
219 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
152 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
152 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
139 days ago

dp: dude
120 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
75 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
59 days ago

GDW: showman
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Alan Whitman returns!!!!!

Page 1 of 1

YES! ok I like Jenn a lot, but the best Mermen show ever wat the Brookdale lodge when Alan came back to honer Phil Dirt... It was MAGIC... I think Jim plays better with Alan pushing him on bass. A great day in surf music!

THe NEpTuNeS

Here is the official word from the Mermenlist:
Greeting Merfriends,
Very BigThanks to all our fans for our SOLD OUT show at the
INDEPENDENT in San Fracisco Friday, August 11.
NEWS: ALLEN WHITMAN, the MERMEN's original bassist will be returning
for performances on a regular basis. The first show with Allen will be
at 19 Broadway in Fairfax,CA 9/9/06. The MERMEN will be playing this
Saturday (Jennifer Burnes on bass) 9-11PM outdoors in Nevada City, CA
at RIDGESTOCK at the Shady Creek Family Camp & Conference
Center- located 11 miles north of Nevada City on Hwy 49. Turn right onto
Tyler Foote Road and continue for another 1 mile.
Turn right on Pathfinder Rd. and follow the signs. more info:
www.ridgestock.org

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Thanks Mr DelMar! I had deleted mine already. We have a day gig in Napa on the 9th Might have to go!!! One of my favorite bass players. Blew up a SVT at the show last... Arms like popeye, flow for days.

THe NEpTuNeS

Wish I could be there, Brodway 19 is close to home, and the Merms only do one, maybe 2 shows there a year.
Where is your show in Napa, tom?
--fd

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Bella Winery (Is Healdsburg considered Napa?)

http://www.bellawinery.com/

Which is where these shots came from:

http://www.surfneptune.com/healds.html

It's a parade of wild drunkeness and they have a CAVE!!!!

11-4pm

I think it may be just for their wine club members.

THe NEpTuNeS

So I 'm a bit confused, whats with then on again off again of the bass players now?

Not that we don't have our fair share of musical chairs down here in
So. Cal. with bands. Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I hope I don't sound like a jerk but ever since Jennifer took over the bass spot, the Mermen have gone downhill. Most of their shows have seemed pretty lifeless. Martyn and Jim just haven't sounded the same for several years. This may or may not have anything to do with her... probably isn't her but I hope this'll get them back like they usta be.

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net
http://www.youtube.com/GKacedrummerman
http://www.facebook.com/drumuitar

I have to say that I never saw them back before Alan left.
But I did see the recent reunion show at the Phil Dirt retirement show. I agree he is great, but I thought was a bit over the top in his stage antics.
I am used to seeing them with Jen about 10 to 15 times, and am always satisfied to watch them just play. But Alan was jumping all over the stage like a flea on a hot brick, which is weird compared to Jim's sullen standing like a wall playing.
I think Jen is really good. most of the time, but have caught a couple off nights.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006 17:37:38

"Returning on a regular basis?" Does that mean he's taking over or returning on regular bimonthly intervals? I agree that the Mermen have sounded sluggish for a while. However regular his presence, I hope Allen's return acts as new lifeblood.

I find this a bit odd. I had a conversation with Allen maybe 5 weeks ago and he seemed to still harbor quite the grudge against Jim, and spoke with disdain in his voice. Hopefully, they were able to bury the hatchet and reconcile their differences.

I do want to say that I've seen Jennifer play many times myself, mostly with the Shitones, and she's a very strong and inventive player, and any band would be very lucky to have her.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I'm thrilled to hear that Allen is back in the fold. I, too,
thought they were much better when he was in the band.
I think Jennifer started out as just adequate, but I think
she's improved by leaps and bounds, and is now pretty
durn good. I just think they are waaaay more powerful
with Allen playing bass. We'll see how it goes.

Bob S.

Bob

I love Jenifers playing! really, and she is fun to talk to as well. I just felt like Alan had a way of proding Jim into a much livelier show, part of it could be the jumping around, raising the energy level. I think it is mostly that he is not intimidated by Jim, and the strange thing is we just might benifit from a level of animosity between them. Did Lennon and McCartney get along?

THe NEpTuNeS

I think Surfneptune has a good point there. Sometimes, the best art is created from not the best motives - jealousy or resentment for instance. Also, sometimes your best songs are written when you're in a bad situation or poor frame of mind.

Regarding Jim and Alan, they may play 'better' but I like to see people enjoying themselves on stage, not giving each other dark looks.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I have seen Alan "sub" twice for the Merms over the past few years and he always seems to be enjoying himself. Let's face it, its hard to keep a group of artists or musicians together, always fragile egos and different paths of creative growth. If you can come together onstage for an hour or two and agree to collaborate, that is good enough.

As for Jennifer, she needs no defense. She may have been wobbly early on (can you imagine jumping into Allen's shoes?) but she is nothing less than a kick ass bass player.

--ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

Bands are like psycho girlfriends sometimes. Our other bassar player who quit earlier this year was a person that was nearly impossible to colaborate with, he had a tough time sharing. We would work stuff out at practice though. At gigs it turned into a wieird competition thing... he would play the bass on my songs in the wrong position, or hit the strings so hard that they went sharp. Or just play way too loud. And really did not care much about the bass tone. Mature people can put the song first. Then even if you hate each other the song won't suffer for it.

THe NEpTuNeS

Jennifer is doubtless a great bass player and I don't think her presence had any direct effect in sabotaging the band's sound. I've personally never seen them live, but from what I've heard on archive.org it sounds like as a whole the band's sounds, tones, and general presence have sorta diminished. If Allen is in fact a dynamic stage presence I hope his return, wether spiteful or cooperative or whatever, can act as a kind of new beginning. Maybe the gang will be inspired to kick it up a notch and maybe even start working on NEW MATERIAL. Shocked :oops2: Shocked

I am really enjoying this thread about The Mermen, the first on SG101 that is talking about there music rather than their worthiness.

I agree that new material is essential from them. I know that a few new tunes have been introduced at live shows. I thought that when Jim built his studio in santa Cruz, that a new album would be right around the corner. Apparently he has been mostly working on soundtrack material.

Viva Mermen!

Ferenc

My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Pollo Del Mar on FB

How long did the "Amazing California...." album take? I am glad to hear that JIm is doing soundtracks, I wonder if that pays the bills better than album sales?

The debate over there inclussion in the genre is moot in my opinion. if the hard-core trads knew how deep Jim was in surf-music history, they would call him visionary. Not fringe.

THe NEpTuNeS

Page 1 of 1