Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
92 days ago

GDW: showman
44 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Is this the 4th wave?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

I'm not too sure just what wave we're on or in, but I don't think that surf music today is obscure at all. It's all over Radio and TV in advertising and in movie soundtracks. Heck now we have an animated penguin move "Surf's Up"! But we aren't getting prime time radio airplay.....that's THEIR loss.......ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

From what I've heard - zero surf music in thepenguin movie.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

DannySnyder
From what I've heard - zero surf music in thepenguin movie.

I thought that something like that would happen. It's funny though, if I remember correctly, there is surf music in the McDonalds commercial for that movie.

eddiekatcher
I'm not too sure just what wave we're on or in, but I don't think that surf music today is obscure at all. It's all over Radio and TV in advertising and in movie soundtracks. Heck now we have an animated penguin move "Surf's Up"! But we aren't getting prime time radio airplay.....that's THEIR loss.......ed

Although it is all over the place now, people still don't recognize the genre of surf. I've told plenty of people about my band, and every person asks me what surf is. I've probably had to explain it at least 20 times now, and I'm getting really sick of saying its "That backround music in that black eyed peas song 'Pump It'."

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

DD's Misirlou is heard in the commerical on TV.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I think this might all be relative to transmissions. There was 1 speed, 2 speeds, 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, an now 6 speeds. So we could be in the 6th wave?

*glad it doesn't follow 18 wheelers ie. 18 speeds Razz

Surfs UP^

JakeDobner
Surf is inbetween things right now.

we're in the 3rd trough right now waiting to see the next set of big ones arriving on the horizon...

Brian
I'm gonna say no just because there doesn't seem to be a major defining moment or shift. I think the 3rd wave is still going and is slightly recovering from a minor slump.

perhaps the founding of this version of sg101 can be thought of as the defining moment of Wave4 ???

I have chimed in on this type of thread on other forums in the past. There is merit for all arguments given in this thread. My view on this keeps changing with time, as it should. I believe we are in a 2nd Phase of the 3rd Wave. This 2nd Phase has a few key characteristics, not limited to:

1. A substantial rise in the number of bands worldwide (every major city has 3 or more bands and at least one surf-friendly venue for the scene). Along with this, the sheer volume of available recorded Surf music is unprecedented.
  2. The growth and interrelationship of the Surf music community, fans and players WORLDWIDE are now only 1 degree of separation due to SG101, NESMA and other thriving related web communities like MySpace. Community and collaborations have never been greater!
  3. New Surf music itself HAS evolved since the Phase 1 90's, generally more hard edged, punkish and experimental. Also, modern bands are comfortable with tributing and covering more 3rd Wave bands.

Until I see another "significant event", like a Pulp Fiction-amplified burst of pop culture notoreity and corresponding Surf fan/player interest, my view is we have a continuously evolving, strengthening and self-sustaining 3rd Wave in relative obscurity... and there ain't nothin' bad about that! LONG LIVE SURF!

How many waves do you think there are going to be? Many years from now will surf guitarists say hey we are on the 183rd wave? Rolling Eyes

tenderfoot
How many waves do you think there are going to be? Many years from now will surf guitarists say hey we are on the 183rd wave? Rolling Eyes

This point is valid too.
But I would ask this to a Blues musician. The point of "waves" is ultimately mute if it becomes an evolving, self-sustaining genre as I assert it has (obscure or not) -- so whether you call it 3rd, 4th on none...the one one we're in (e.g. the modern period) is kind of it...

well...i would say that we are in the 4th wave..i mean the bands that you count as 3rd wave surfbands were playing in the 90´s..thats long time ago...i mean these guys are old enough to be my dad. so its feels pretty weird to say that we are a 3rdwave..its like saying that Jon and the Nightriders were calling themselves a 1stwave surfband...think they would think that it was pretty weird..so heres to the 4wave..Wooooo!

however the 4th wave seems to be a very small one...at least here..

The reality is that we do not wash our own laundry - it just gets dirtier.

www.myspace.com/tumbleweedofsurf

But serpico, what is it about the 4th wave that distinguishes it from the 3rd? Other than the passage of time?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wave Shmave, it's all one big ocean. Wink

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Brian
But serpico, what is it about the 4th wave that distinguishes it from the 3rd? Other than the passage of time?

isnt that enough?

Whichever wave this is, God bless you surf musicians who are true believers and and are keeping this music alive and vital!

I think some of the best stuff is being made right now.

amen to that brother!=)

My hopes are that the existence of surf will remain pretty continuous, as it has post-Pulp Fiction. Thus the third wave will be a long lasting and ever-evolving super wave which will eventually lose specific definition--not in the sense that the surf of the future will be lacking character, but in the sense that the temporal continuity of the wave coupled with its changes in style will make it hard to define and the whole "wave theory" debate moot.

Puke Ack. I'm talking out of my ass WAY too much. Just listen to this guy:

DannySnyder
Wave Shmave, it's all one big ocean. Wink

wooza
My hopes are that the existence of surf will remain pretty continuous, as it has post-Pulp Fiction. Thus the third wave will be a long lasting and ever-evolving super wave which will eventually lose specific definition--not in the sense that the surf of the future will be lacking character, but in the sense that the temporal continuity of the wave coupled with its changes in style will make it hard to define and the whole "wave theory" debate moot.

What worries me is that I actually understand that. Shocked

websurfer

wooza wrote:

What worries me is that I actually understand that.

And it is probably righ on the money..
Joel

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next