Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
303 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
296 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
257 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
190 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
190 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
177 days ago

dp: dude
158 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
113 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
97 days ago

GDW: showman
48 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Frigidaires – Play it Cool CD

Page 1 of 1

The Frigidaires – Play it Cool CD (Otitis Media)

The initial release from this well-qualified Atlanta quintet offers 13 dance hall ditties to inspire a new generation of 50s/60s sock hop dancers. From the artwork, song titles, and lyrical themes, there is consistent branding across the album. Taking its cues from an ad you’d find in the Sunday paper; the vintage aesthetic of the album cover is phenomenal! Cleverly, all 13 track titles are interwoven into the graphics. My favorite icon is the ice cube with a pointy nose.

“Red Vega,” “Do Right,” and “Under the Sun” are the three lyrical tracks that offer the listener a stroll down memory lane. “Really I Do” has vocalizing but no lyrics. Whether you lived in that era or not, you can easily imagine the settings evoked as you have no doubt seen a movie or two that portrays these idyllic teenage years; conjuring images of fun-in-the-sun parties or slow dancing with your high school sweetheart at the senior prom. Yes, the heavenly harmonies are that good. Speaking of motion pictures, almost any composition on this CD could easily be incorporated into the soundtrack of a cinematic work depicting life in 50s/60s America.

The three guitars offer an in-depth and lively sound. It’s a pleasure to listen to the concurrent strumming and picking; each guitar adding an important layer to the aural atmosphere. The rhythm section keeps the dance floor full of starry-eyed dancers with their stylized, era-specific timing.

For the collectors, there were 500 LPs and a mere 200 CDs. The LPs are refrigerated in a standard jacket, and the CDs are cooled in a cardboard sleeve. The runtime is 41 minutes.

Purchase your copy today at https://thefrigidaires.bandcamp.com/ or https://otitismediarecords.com/

As reviewed in Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Issue 2

Matthew
Purchasae Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Issue 2

Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Instagram
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Friends
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Page
Email: Matthew_e_clark_6@hotmail.com

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 18:55:23

Matthew
Purchasae Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Issue 2

Colorado Instrumental Fanzine Instagram
Colorado Instrumental Fanzine FB Friends