Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
303 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
296 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
257 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
190 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
190 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
177 days ago

dp: dude
158 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
113 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
97 days ago

GDW: showman
48 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mysterious static

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Sounds good, I wasn’t sure because on every strat I’ve ever had the ground has been a stiff piece of solid steel wire soldered to the trem block.

Boomerang wrote:

Sounds good, I wasn’t sure because on every strat I’ve ever had the ground has been a stiff piece of solid steel wire soldered to the trem block.

If you are pinning the wire under the tailpiece, having it stranded allows more surface contact.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Makes sense to me Syncro

Well I pulled all the covers and I’m showing good continuity everywhere except at the cup…… no continuity at all there. There’s a black wire heading in that direction from the back of the volume pot but evidently it’s not making contact. I gave it a little tug and it seems tight so I’m not sure why it’s not making contact unless they wedged it in there without stripping the insulation off the end. Tried removing the cup but it doesn’t want to budge so I’m going to try drilling a hole from the trem cavity to the pot cavity. I’ll need a long bit which my local hardware store doesn’t have so I’m going to have to order one. No biggie since I’ve got to order the shielding foil anyway. Nothing is ever easy.

I'd also point out that if you recently bought the guitar new, then you should contact Fender/Squier and ask about it. If the fault is poor grounding, then they should fix it.

edwardsand wrote:

I'd also point out that if you recently bought the guitar new, then you should contact Fender/Squier and ask about it. If the fault is poor grounding, then they should fix it.

If it was something major I would but this isn’t worth the hassle and time. I’m in a rural area nowhere close to a dealer. It would cost me more in gas than what I can fix it for myself and save me at least 3hrs of driving time.

At least the mystery is solved. I agree, fix it yourself. If you make a warranty claim, you will lose the use of it until it is repaired, and if you do it yourself, at the very least, you’ll know that it’s been done to your standards.

synchro wrote:

At least the mystery is solved. I agree, fix it yourself. If you make a warranty claim, you will lose the use of it until it is repaired, and if you do it yourself, at the very least, you’ll know that it’s been done to your standards.

Right, I’m confident enough in my own workmanship to feel I can adequately pull this off. I ordered that shielding foil and a 12”x1/8” drill bit. I also just got an email from John at Staytrem saying he has shipped my bridge and trem arm so I’m looking forward to that upgrade. I still have to perform that trem mod you posted about in a previous post. Dremel tool should smooth that out nicely.

You will end up with a very competent Jaguar, once all of this is complete. The StayTrem bridge and trem’ arm will be great additions. It sounds like you’ve got this in hand.

The trem’ mod is pretty easy. I just clamped the offending piece in a vise and a few minutes of file work later, I was done. I think it was actually a plating flaw, and not really a problem with the base metal piece.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2