Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
303 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
296 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
257 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
190 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
190 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
177 days ago

dp: dude
158 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
113 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
97 days ago

GDW: showman
48 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Who uses two amps?

Page 1 of 1

I just tried using my Deluxe Reverb with my Fender twin reverb. I plug my Strat into the Twin's vibrato channel input # 1, and jumper #2 of that channel to the Deluxe Reverb Vibrato input #1. It is fun to play with setting the vibrato speeds differently like 3 and 6 or 4 and 8.

I have a Bordeaux Princeton Reverb with a 12 inch Celestion that pairs nicely with either the Deluxe Reverb, or Twin Reverb. I like to set the tone controls so one amp is brighter than the other to get some really nice full sounds.

Also, the sound of either the Princeton, or Deluxe can sound boxy at certain levels and setting but when played together they sound rich and full, even at lower volumes like around 2. By far, two amps deliver much better tones than one alone, its amazing.

I've not played two amps jumpered together that way - what I do is use a stereo pedal (EHX Stereo Pulsar tremolo) and feed the two outputs to two different amps. It's loads of fun to hear the signal bounce back and forth between them when the pedal is engaged, and of course makes a great full sound when the pedal is off.

I used to play stereo, all the time. It can be addictive. With a stereo effect such as reverb, chorus or delay, the sound totally fills up the room in a really magical way. However, there are drawbacks. One being that the audience doesn’t always get the full effect (if you pan such a rig through a big house PA, each side of the room will only get one side of the effect). The second being that it complicates set up and crowds small stages.

I constantly wrestle with wanting to go back. I want to keep my signal as analog and traditional as possible. But on recordings, I go stereo, and it sounds so great. I’d love to have that sound, live. But I do t know if I love it enough to add the complication of another amp. I’ve tried every solution known to man to get a similarly open and clear tone out of one amp. But nothing really compares. Yet, I also want to keep my rig simple, traditional and small. A couple Princetons would be cool.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

When I gigged as a bass player, I ran the neck pickup of my Rickenbacker 4001, which is a true stereo bass, into an Ampeg SVT head powering 2-15" EV speakers in a folded horn cabinet and the bridge pickup into an Ampeg V6B head powering 2 Heil AMT1 elements (no crossover). With the Rick-O-Sound kit, it sounded pretty impressive.

At home, I split my guitar signal into a Fender Princeton Reverb reissue and a Marshall DSL5CR. They are different enough to allow interesting blends.

I don't now, but I used to use a Marshall combo for drive sounds and a Fender combo for clean sounds. Sounded fantastic but was a hassle to haul around, load/unload, set up, etc.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I play through two brown Showmans at the same time. The tone and volume become addictive.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. EP Louder Than Life coming out soon!

Most of the stereo image from stereo delays and reverbs is in mid and high frequencies. In performances I use both a full-range amp and a ZT Lunchbox combo amp fed by stereo output from a multi-effects pedal. The lunchbox attenuates low frequencies for more mids and highs through its small speaker. The full range amp uses a bass amp head + 12" neo guitar speaker + piezo tweeter on crossover network. I get a good full stereo image with 3 foot distance between the two amps and volumes set about equal.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Page 1 of 1