Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
296 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
290 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
251 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
184 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
184 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
170 days ago

dp: dude
151 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
106 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
90 days ago

GDW: showman
42 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

78%

78%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jaguar bridge conundrums

Page 1 of 1

So ive run a mastery bridge on my 64 Jag for years, but the aesthetic, feel and occasional chatter are getting to me.

Im tempted to go back to the stock rocking trem. I realise the mustang saddles are a common enough thing used on these, and I use a set on my 63 JM.

Wondering if anyone has experience with height adujstable mustang saddles and could reccommend a set?

Or, if folks have found an alternative to mastery that has a better vintage aesthetic and rocks... I know stay trem is popular but they arent readily available and cost the earth.

Thanks!

Seems like a Tuffset bridge might be up your alley!

https://tuffsetbridge.com

I use a genuine Fender American Pro bridge which is a 'Mustang' style but has 9.5 radius. I have on 2 Jaguars.
Also using the nylon thimble shims.
It's got the perfect rock performance.
My new Jazzmaster Pro 2 came with the same exact bridge.

Last edited: Oct 02, 2024 15:38:21

IceratzSurf wrote:

I use a genuine Fender American Pro bridge which is a 'Mustang' style but has 9.5 radius. I have on 2 Jaguars.
Also using the nylon thimble shims.
It's got the perfect rock performance.
My new Jazzmaster Pro 2 came with the same exact bridge.

Cool
So youre using a 9.5 rad bridge on a 7.25 rad jag? Or are they matching??

In the mean time iv gone with a mustang bridge that was on my buddies 62 AVRI Jag. Feel good to be back in the vintage aestehtic and feel realm on my 64 jag.

*Pihabeach82

Cool
<<

No the Fender Pro bridge matches the fingerboard 9.5"
And from what I have researched, the typical Mustang bridge is only available in 7.25 radius, and cheap prices everywhere, around $20

But the Fender Pro is about $80

IceratzSurf wrote:

*Pihabeach82

And from what I have researched, the typical Mustang bridge is only available in 7.25 radius, and cheap prices everywhere, around $20

The Mustang bridge I put on a Jazzmaster last spring was 9.5". It wasn't hard to find & was cheap. IIRC I got it direct from Fender.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

IceratzSurf wrote:

*Pihabeach82

Cool
<<

No the Fender Pro bridge matches the fingerboard 9.5"

But the Fender Pro is about $80

Yep
Look its just been a long time since I went down this road as i thought mastery had solved all my issues. But with time I grew to dislike the mastery and so hre I am back in vintage fender style bridge territory. Was just curious what the go to is nowadays. I like the idea of a good quality heavy USA made bridge, but yeh needs to be the correct radius.

I have the original 60s bridge with threaded saddles, so I might just grab some saddles.

Has anyone adventured into different types of saddle (brass, stainless etc) for this purpose?

There is also the Fender Johnny Marr Bridge (same as the Am Pro but 7,25“) - and of course the Staytrem (UK, might take some time, but is also excellent quality!) both have 52mm string spacing which is great I think. (I had strings fall off the high and low E-edge before).

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

I’m pretty sure that in some language or another, Jaguar is defined as a bridge conundrum, but Mustang is defined as a cure for Jaguar syndrome. Smile

If I had my pick, it would be the StayTrem bridge, which is basically a take on the Mustang bridge design, and it resists lowering itself, which is a problem with some Mustang style bridges. I have a StayTrem on my Warmoth Jaguar build and on my MIJ Fender VI, and am perfectly satisfied. The OEM bridge on my Squier CV Jaguar has been great, as is, and no need to replace it. There’s some irony in the fact that Squier’s quality has become so high and that they’ve solved so many chronic problems with some of these guitars.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I have not tried the Staytrem, and hearing all the feedback regarding availability and costs, I really don't see how its any better than the 1/3rd priced, and readily available Fender Pro bridge is.
It is very similar to the stock Mustang, but I have both and can easily see how poor the adjustment screw is on the Mustang, as compared to the Pro. Also the quality of the metal.
The nylon thimble inserts are a must for the Pro as well, the unique design shoulder allows just enough flex for tremelo action.

I have refitted 3 Pro bridges to Jags now, and have as an included stock setup on my Jazzmaster Pro.

There are plenty of other upgrades I would consider more important, than to go beyond this $80 bridge setup.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 16:06:23

Much agreed, but to the best of my knowledge, the StayTrem is about the same price as the Fender Pro bridge. The StayTrem has some plastic around the adjustment screws to prevent the bridge lowering itself. I haven’t owned a Fender Pro bridge, so I have no direct experience with that one.

I thought the Staytrem bridges were around these prices.

They are hard to come by, and require months to obtain, so if you want one today, the used market is willing, but for a hefty price.

I will say that the craftsmanship on a StayTrem is impressive.

Per their website, a Staytrem bridge is £75, or about $100US, plus probably $10 shipping. The wait time can be several months, the last time I bought one it took 6-8 weeks from ordering.

Sounds like you can't even order one.
That will certainly drive up the used market prices.

Yeah, he’s pretty swamped with biz right now. He’ll get caught up, and sanity will prevail.

Page 1 of 1