Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
92 days ago

GDW: showman
43 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Why Are You Like This?

Page 1 of 1

This is the only forum I'm active on where I'll find an old thread, or even an not-so-old thread, and some dork will painstakingly scrub all their posts. Even when I was new to this board over a decade ago that guy Zak did it, and now I see it in almost every thread I go through. It's not uncommon where I'll read a thoughtful and lengthy post that I'll want to go back to, only to find it scrubbed the next time I try looking for it. I'm not even talking about the amount of people announcing their rage quitting over some inconsequential opinion on what surf ought to be or is.

Why? It just comes across as childish and bitter.

Pav,
Not guilty here; although I get the feeling sometimes some forum members wish I had done what you describe.
J Mo' Hmmm

AFAIK, it was only Zak and TQI that did it here. You're right, it's incredibly childish and indicates some kind of personality disorder. I came across TQI doing the same thing on the offsetguitars forum too.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Last edited: Jul 08, 2024 21:14:30

I think there has been at least one, maybe two others that have done it too.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

It doesn’t make much sense to me, but I’ve seen things like that happen, over the years, and on different forums. Overall, Surf Guitar 101 is an unusually calm forum, with little in the way of drama. That requires two things, consistent moderation, and forum members whom truly appreciate having a place to share their interests.

I’ve been on various guitar and amp forums for about 25 years now, and I’ve moderated another guitar forum for the last ten years or so. The majority of people who join forums are just looking for a place to interact with people with whom they have a common interest, but every so often people come in with an agenda. Sometimes the agenda is simply to draw attention to themselves, usually by acting out against others. Sometimes people want to be seen as experts and setup shop thusly. In some cases, it would seem like they just want to make trouble. There’s no understanding what moves some people.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Brian wrote:

I think there has been at least one, maybe two others that have done it too.

Another "scrubber":

Number9

Surfin’ Europe – Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)
Tout Tilburg Surft – Malbehavers’ debut EP

Last edited: Jul 09, 2024 08:59:02

Not sure how many posts I've scrubbed. Not many I suspect, but if I post a bit over the top I usually try to remove it, or ask Brian to. Rarely, but sometimes I let my hands type faster than my brain... Big Grin

Surfcat

NEW - MARCH OF THE DEAD SURFERS - HALLOWEEN MIX!!!! - Agent Octopus
Ghost of Tom Returns (single) From All Hallows Eve 2021 - Agent Octopus

From Atlantis with Love (EP) - Agent Octopus
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Angle of Attack (CD) - Reverb Galaxy

Man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor! - Vincent Price from "The Spirit of the Nightmare"

Basically, they are saying, "You don't deserve my genius."

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

When I go nuts and rage quit this site I look forward to hand scrubbing all 19,210 of my posts.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

DannySnyder wrote:

indicates some kind of personality disorder.

Haha I agree! I understand wanting to edit what you may have said in a fit of emotion, but completely wiping it out seems too extreme to be normal.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

indicates some kind of personality disorder.

Haha I agree! I understand wanting to edit what you may have said in a fit of emotion, but completely wiping it out seems too extreme to be normal.

I’ve seen (on other forums) some pretty crazy posts. I suspect demon rum plays a role.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Someone will occasionally do this over at the Steel Guitar Forum. Strikes me it's sort of like an annoyed dog peeing on the carpet to get the owner's attention.

We have one fellow over there who posts the most magnificent collectible catalog and other vintage photos. He leaves them up for a while - sometimes quite a while - and then scrubs them. But I sort of get that - these are hi-res photos that take up a LOT of his own server space. Anybody that wants to download them has ample chance to do that.

Of course, there are sometimes other good reasons to shred a post. I'll bet many have done this. I've done it occasionally. Not sure I've done it here, but elsewhere. Sometimes it's just to keep the peace. But to meticulously scrub every word ever posted - that is another level. IMHO, of course.

J Mo' - FWIW, I don't want you to scrub your posts. You speak your mind. OK, some people don't agree. I imagine, sometimes, I don't agree. Whatever. Not an issue, again IMHO.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024 03:13:10

I had assumed that deleting all posts was an option if you wanted to delete your account. But it appears not, so now I'm likewise astounded that some people would go to the trouble to delete every single post. It's like all those stupid road rage incidents where drivers go overboard to get revenge for some minor poor behavior by another driver.

DeathTide wrote:

I understand wanting to edit what you may have said in a fit of emotion, but completely wiping it out seems too extreme to be normal.

It's kind of annoying from a lurker perspective. There's a lot of good info in these threads and sometimes I'm curious as to what I'm missing when I see a bunch of deleted posts. Most of them are probably troll posts or overly snarky commentary, but what if it's informational gold?!
It gives me the same sort of feeling as when I google a tech question and someone starts a thread asking how to do/fix the same exact thing, only to end the thread with "nm, figured it out. thx". Gotta preserve that stuff for posterity.

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

Hey regarding this, here is a public service announcement:

Always quote and then they can't wipe it!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Hey regarding this, here is a public service announcement:

Always quote and then they can't wipe it!

Good advice (see what i did there?).
But truly, there is a lot of great technical advice/info posted on this site, and it is sad to see holes appear in it. For example, J Flanders has posted lots of great stuff, and I'd hate to see that all go away.

Page 1 of 1