Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
93 days ago

GDW: showman
44 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Is Black Metal Just Distorted Surf?

Page 1 of 1

I’ve never been into Heavy Metal, or its multitude sub-genres, but watching this video did open my mind to new possibilities.

One of the things I’ve always liked about Surf is that the guitar sound is fairly clean. There may be some natural overdrive, and there were some fuzz guitar tracks towards the end of the First Wave, but for the most part, a good Surf sound can be approximated with a clean, bright amp and some decent reverb. In my own playing, I use overdrive pedals occasionally, but mostly just to take the edge off if I’m getting the icepick effect, and most listeners would not really think of it as an overdriven sound.

The sound this fellow gets from this Squier Tele is surprisingly good. Maybe not exactly down the centerline of some of the classic Surf bands, but good enough to leave a good impression on me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I don't know, does tremolo picking automatically make something surf? I guess that's one thing I love about the black metal I listen to, is the crazy amount of tremolo picking and heavy presence of guitars. But I'd only say they share the technique, they're in no way equivalent. I think sonically and structurally black metal is way way different. Plus most of it has fry scream vocals which are as far away from surf as you can get haha! All that said, I do think there are many candidates that could be translated into surf. The song that dude is playing is outstanding, and his tremolo picking is super impressive!

Daniel Deathtide

I don’t mean to imply tha Black Metal == Surf, but there is an interesting similarity in the examples he plays. I’ve never listened to any Metal, so I come at this with no context. But if I hear that song out of the blue, I’d probably think that is was just some ver aggressive Surf.

For the record, in my playing, I avoid tremolo picking whenever possible.

I like this observation Laughing now it's just a matter of convincing our black metal guitarist friends to switch their distortion pedals for reverb Big Grin

Tremolo is widely used in many metal genres)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Tremolo is used in many genres, and instruments.

Black Metal == Surf Rock == Neapolitan Mandolin Music

The History of Tremolo

Beach Bomb - Black Surf from the cold waters of Norway!
https://beachbombband.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Jul 05, 2024 02:06:36

"Black metal without distortion is just Surf Rock" ... that is a good click-bate title right there!

You can find similarities in everything if you compare just a tiny fraction and not the whole picture. And humans tend to over-generalize because it simplifies understanding, so oxymoron assumptions like this may seem "attractive" to our brains!

On the other hand, Dick Dale is the grandfather of Heavy Metal, and both are "rock" music. So you could assume that Black Metal is the great-great grandson of Surf in the "rock" genre family tree. Wink

elmorto wrote:

Tremolo is used in many genres, and instruments.

Black Metal == Surf Rock == Neapolitan Mandolin Music

The History of Tremolo

Those Neopolitan Mandolin dudes really knew how to hang ten. Smile

There’s a lot of recycling done in music. Surf became what it was because a number of factors converged: electrification, the overall state of Rock h’ Roll at the time, perhaps some cultural factors unique to SoCal at the time, and some specific things in Rock, such as Duane Eddy and Link Ray, whose work somewhat hinted at the path forward. Add in a force of nature, such as Dick Dale, and it became inevitable.

I have a lot of respect for players who can sustain an uninterrupted tremolo for an extended period of time, regardless of genre.

terma_reverb wrote:

"Black metal without distortion is just Surf Rock" ... that is a good click-bate title right there!

You can find similarities in everything if you compare just a tiny fraction and not the whole picture. And humans tend to over-generalize because it simplifies understanding, so oxymoron assumptions like this may seem "attractive" to our brains!

On the other hand, Dick Dale is the grandfather of Heavy Metal, and both are "rock" music. So you could assume that Black Metal is the great-great grandson of Surf in the "rock" genre family tree. Wink

Good point. We want to sort things into convenient categories and to over generalize. When I was a child, maybe kindergarten age, I would hear the music my parents listened to on the radio, and I’d hear the music my older sister would listen to, and took note of the contrast. Over the years, I realized that there were a lot of subtle differences in between, but I also came to realize that there was a lot of cross-pollination between various genres, and that is where the new strains of music come about.

One of my favorite examples is Chicago, which I see as a compact horn section straight out of the Big Band ethos combined with a Rock rhythm section. In a sense, the two major categories on my parent’s music and my sister’s music had joined together.

Another area of cross-pollination has been the strange dance that Country and Rock have been doing, since the earliest days of Rock. These two genres have woven in and out of one another many times, over the decades. Some of the resulting music defies categorization, IMHO. I love Buck Owens’ music, and some of that, like Tiger By the Tail seems to straddle the line perfectly.

Getting back to the Black Metal/Surf comparison; I definitely see a harder edge in the Black Metal songs, than in most Surf, but I have the feeling that it would have been well received at the Rendevous Ballroom, circa 1962. Presentation is a big part of it. Had I heard the songs in the video with a lot of distortion, I probably wouldn’t have listened for very long. Highly distorted music doesn’t appeal to me, with the exception of TerrY Kath on 25 or 6 to Four. Had a Black Metal Band shown up at the Rendevous, dressed like a Black Metal band and using heavy distortion, the place would have emptied out, quickly. If the Dick Dale of 1962 walked walked into a Black Metal concert had played the songs from the video with a cleanish guitar sound, and dressed like he dressed in ‘62, I suspect that he would have emptied out that venue, as well. Same notes, same technique, but the guitar sounds different due to effects and the look of the players is different. My parents, as rooted as they were in the Big Band world, would listen to Surf, but never to Heavy Metal.

Page 1 of 1