Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
93 days ago

GDW: showman
44 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink R.I.P. The Ventures

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

From a reliable source, I've learned that the Ventures as a group are no more at present. The group was carrying on with Bob Spalding on lead guitar, Ian Spalding on Rhythm guitar. Luke Griffin on bass, and Leon Taylor on drums. The sale of the name and assets happened late last year and their contract to play and record as The Ventures was not renewed by Taylor, Wilson and Associates and the new owners.

Apparently, the estates of Don Wilson, Bob Bogle, and Mel Taylor sold the name and assets to Other Tunes Music LLC. So, if you are lucky, maybe you'll hear a piece of a Ventures tune on a beer, soft drink, or car commercial. The present four Ventures cannot perform or record as the Ventures anymore and have sadly disbanded.
The Ventures website is being retired - the merchandise, at present, can't be had.

So - no more seeing the group at a club or other venue - no Japan tours anymore. There's a revenue killer for you.
I don't understand the mindset of some people. Some serious dislikes had to be happening for the present members all getting blindsided with this sale - even Leon Taylor.

Well - I have my Mosrites, CDs, songbooks, and my knowledge of playing a large subset of the Ventures catalog.

This hits me worse than when the Beatles broke up.
I had "tHey Never Came Back" playing as I wrote this.

J Mo'

Last edited: May 30, 2024 07:18:18

I say this with tons of respect for the impact The Ventures had (and still have today)...but when Don Wilson retired, it seemed to me that anything further under The Ventures name would effectively be a tribute act. Not that I have any say in it whatsoever, but I wonder if labelling themselves as such would have added to their credibility. I think it is wonderful that the Ventures music is still being played live and fans get to hear the music, but is it really "The Ventures"?
My opinions aside, I have no doubt that the present musicians work very hard and are dedicated to honouring the Ventures body of material so it is a shame that things are stopping. I wish them all the best.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: May 27, 2024 23:07:29

This breaks my heart. I loved seeing them live. Thankfully i still have the awesome live videos of them on my phone and them all sighning my Aria Ventures 45th anniversary guitar

Yeah, without the original guys it's not really the Ventures, anyway. And one thing is for sure: their music will never die.

I first heard "He Never Came Back" through headphones in a music store in Sacramento around 1994 and it blew me away. That whole space album astounded me. I was into instrumental guitar music already when I discovered surf around 1991 so I never really cared whether The Ventures were surf or not. What I cared about was that their music is awesome.

shake_n_stomp wrote:

I say this with tons of respect for the impact The Ventures had (and still have today)...but when Don Wilson retired, it seemed to me that anything further under The Ventures name would effectively be a tribute act. Not that I have any say in it whatsoever, but I wonder if labelling themselves as such would have added to their credibility. I think it is wonderful that the Ventures music is still being played live and fans get to hear the music, but is it really "The Ventures"?
My opinions aside, I have no doubt that the present musicians work very hard and are dedicated to honouring the Ventures body of material so it is a shame that things are stopping. I wish them all the best.

Totally agree, this band is a tribute, The Ventures have left the building some years ago and Don turned off the lights. In any case all the best wishes the the musicians that were doing the great tribute! But probably that’s a time to move forward for them.

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Last edited: May 28, 2024 01:28:42

I wrote a big article about my thoughts on the modern ventures on my website. I was OK with the idea of a Ventures with no original members. I liked the idea of The Ventures being an eternal flame of instrumental guitar music.

The Ventures that I saw were simply not good enough to be that eternal flame. And I was insulted that they didn't seem to be aboveboard about who their current members are (they said "here's the second song we recorded" when nobody in the room recorded it!). They also played too many songs by other artists.

Venturesmania does Ventures better than they were doing it.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: May 28, 2024 07:28:21

To address some points made:
This last incarnation of the Ventures was a slight cut above a typical tribute band. Leon Taylor is the son of the late Mel Taylor, the primary Ventures drummer. Mel actually groomed his son as a replacement when he was thinking of retiring. Sadly, Mel really "retired" and Leon took the reins as drummer. He played 30+ years with them. He was the link to the original band when Bob and Don passed away.

Bob Spalding took over the lead guitar role in a bad fix the Ventures found themselves in circa 1979-1980. Nokie Edwards took ill - on stage no less - and had to have surgery. Bob flew to the NYC area and holed up with Don and Bob over the weekend in a hotel to learn lead guitar for their setlist. He had to have something on the ball there, I should think. They played NYC and the surrounding area in the ensuing weeks. I caught the act; it was more than OK in my book. Bob became known as the "Fifth Venture". He played in excess of 45 years with the original group. So again, a link to original lineup. That's a bit of a cut above the usual "tribute-act-composed-of-strangers" concept, in my opinion.

None of us last forever. I agree that the Ventures music will live on. It lived a bit longer as a live act thanks to the last go around of the group.

J Mo'

Last edited: May 28, 2024 09:17:43

At this point, I think a lot of the great bands I group of with in the 60s, 70s and 80s are no longer what they were. Hey, we all got old!

Played in a Beach Boys Tribute band for years. Wouldn't pay to see one.

Surfcat

NEW - MARCH OF THE DEAD SURFERS - HALLOWEEN MIX!!!! - Agent Octopus
Ghost of Tom Returns (single) From All Hallows Eve 2021 - Agent Octopus

From Atlantis with Love (EP) - Agent Octopus
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Angle of Attack (CD) - Reverb Galaxy

Man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor! - Vincent Price from "The Spirit of the Nightmare"

That's a real shame. I thought the album they put out last year was pretty good - I'll spin it today in their honor ... as well as some older vinyl I've got here Smile

It's a bummer that it came down - apparently? - to a business decision rather than an artistic one. I get where the guys are, though - nobody wants to fight a corporation for very long.

The Ventures are dead ... long live The Ventures!

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

This sucks! Although I have no interest in the Venues without Nokie, Don, Bob, and/or Gerry McGee, this is so wrong... The legal/business side of music at it's worst. Long live the memory of the Ventures.

Bob

Many older musicians are selling their music to big corporations these days for big payouts but this is the first time I've heard of the new owners putting a live band out of business. That is sad. Long live the Ventures!

Patrick

The Wavechargers paid tribute to The Ventures recently when they played Tacoma, WA, being well aware of the significance of this town:

ElMonstroPorFavor wrote:

...Venturesmania does The Ventures better than they were doing it.

You are too kind! We did have some fun doing it last weekend at a private party!

• Surfbeatnik

Is a band a concept, or the members? I can argue it, with conviction, either way. In the Big Band days, it was “the Book” which made the bands. The arrangements were everything, although there were band members whom stood out, such as Harry James, Freddie Green, or Gene Krupa. The band leader was important, and in many cases a stand out player; think Count Basie. With 19 members, there was a lot of turnover, and the life of a Big Band player was anything but glamorous, with poor wages, fleabag hotels and lousy food, while touring almost endlessly. Many of these bands perished with the death of their leader, although some lasted a surprisingly long time.

Post WW II, amplification burgeoned and made smaller bands much more viable. In smaller groups, individual members become more important. It’s also easier to convey an arrangement, so reading skills and “the book” became less important.

But what happens when individual members leave a small group? Were the Eagles the same when they took on Felder, or after Leadon left, or after Walsh joined, or … They weren’t, but they were still recognizable as the Eagles.

These Ship of Theseus questions have become commonplace. The concept of The Ventures endured for a long time, in spite of some changes in personnel. It started with Bob Bogle and Don Wilson, which I would suggest created the concept of the band, but there were any number of changes over the years, and sometimes there was trade offs as to who played bass and who played lead.

The band I have worked with the most, Clutch Draggin’ and the Lug Nuts, is at heart, myself and Andy, the bassist. We’ve gone through so many drummers that Spinal Tap would wince at the thought, and occasionally taken on a fourth member, although I strongly prefer the trio setting.

So the concept of The Ventures, IMHO, lived on for a time, even after Don Wilson left, but eventually came to its end. As grisly as this sounds, sometimes artists and bands are worth more dead than alive.

Andy and I could hire a rhythm player and find a drummer (I don’t even bother to memorize the drummer’s name anymore :)) and probably pull off a decent Ventures tribute, provided that the rhythm player could fill some big shoes, but that sure wouldn’t make us The Ventures.

It’s sad to see the name no longer be used for a performing act, but, as George Harrison said; all things must pass.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I wonder if this further pushes the Walk Don't Run documentary into limbo.

https://www.walkdontrunmovie.com/

Synchro,

So the concept of The Ventures, IMHO, lived on for a time, even after Don Wilson left, but eventually came to its end. As grisly as this sounds, sometimes artists and bands are worth more dead than alive.

Let's address that notion with some hard facts:
The band came to its end by design; not by "natural causes".
The sale to Other Tunes Music was done by Taylor, Wilson, and Associates, spearheaded - quite covertly - by Fiona Taylor, wife number-who-the-hell-knows of Mel Taylor. Drummer Leon Taylor was totally unaware, as were the other members, that the Ventures name and assets were being sold. Who does that to a stepson, the son of your late husband? Leon, like the other members, were all blindsided by the sale when their contract was not going to be renewed. This all indicates some serious animus going on behind the scenes. The premise that artists are worth more dead just isn't germane here. The Ventures kept going on for years without Nokie or Gerry. The four present members were very much alive and generating tour and CD income for "the company".

But - OK - it is decided to retire the band. For 30 years of service (Leon) and 45 years of service (Bob Spalding) to the Ventures, would it have been better to give maybe a notice of intended sale and maybe a year's notice to the company's "employees" (the Ventures) instead of having them waking up one day to not having a livelihood anymore?

Easy and correct answer is "YES!" It shows some class and respect.

As for the George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" cliche:
Yes, we all come and go. But - we can let things pass ourselves, naturally (Nature boy Harrison would probably agree) and don't need force or subterfuge to assist in that regard, do we?

My point of view, for what it's worth.
J Mo'

Last edited: May 29, 2024 12:11:34

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

Synchro,

Let's address that notion with some hard facts:
The band came to its end by design; not by "natural causes".
The sale to Other Tunes Music was done by Taylor, Wilson, and Associates, spearheaded - quite covertly - by Fiona Taylor, wife number-who-the-hell-knows of Mel Taylor. Drummer Leon Taylor was totally unaware, as were the other members, that the Ventures name and assets were being sold. Who does that to a stepson, the son of your late husband? Leon, like the other members, were all blindsided by the sale when their contract was not going to be renewed. This all indicates some serious animus going on behind the scenes. The premise that artists are worth more dead just isn't germane here. The Ventures kept going on for years without Nokie or Gerry. The four present members were very much alive and generating tour and CD income for "the company".

But - OK - it is decided to retire the band. For 30 years of service (Leon) and 45 years of service (Bob Spalding) to the Ventures, would it have been better to give maybe a notice of intended sale and maybe a year's notice to the company's "employees" (the Ventures) instead of having them waking up one day to not having a livelihood anymore?

Easy and correct answer is "YES!" It shows some class and respect.

As for the George Harrison "All Things Must Pass" cliche:
Yes, we all come and go. But - we can let things pass ourselves, naturally (Nature boy Harrison would probably agree) and don't need force or subterfuge to assist in that regard, do we?

My point of view, for what it's worth.
J Mo'

I am in no way commenting on whether this was done with consideration for the musicians involved. I’m not a fan of how this happened. But, it would appear that The Ventures, as live performing entity no longer exist. I’m sorry to hear this, but this is what happened.

Some years ago, I saw a band whose name reflected a connection to a very famous one hit wonder band from years ago. They were an excellent band and definitely worth going to see. The connection to the famous band is that one member had been a replacement in this band, many years ago. They came as close as possible to the original band’s name, and did an excellent cover of that one hit. I feel as if they are well within their rights, but if you went to see this band you were seeing no one who was connected with the original recording; the song that had made the band’s name famous.

No one was being deprived of any income because of this. The original band probably does not exist in any meaningful way, at this point in time, and the one member who had been a replacement player in the original band was using what he had at hand, to promote his endeavor. To the best of my understanding, they were on fire ground, legally.

But what do you do with a band when it’s no longer the same group of people. Bands are losing members to aging, retirement, even death. At what point is there nothing left to tie a band to its original identity. One of my favorite bands is Chicago, which has existed since the latter ‘60s. Some members have left, at least one has died (in 1978) and the band changed forever, thereafter. If I went to see Chicago I wouldn’t be watching the band I listened to as a teen. That band hasn’t existed for many years now.

I was also a fan of The Eagles, from the first time I heard the intro to Take It Easy, in 1972. I saw them live after Leadon and Meisner had left, and they were still great, but it wasn’t the band that recorded Take It Easy. To me, The Eagles best lineup was Frey, Henley, Meisner, Leadon and Felder, and even that lineup was not original. If they were playing a concert nearby, I wouldn’t bother going. At this point they no longer command my attention. I support their right to tour, and to play their old songs, but, speaking only for myself, the moment has passed, just as it has for Chicago.

If I had the chance to talk music with Don Felder or James Pankow over a cup of coffee, I’d jump through hoops to be there, because I would find that rewarding, but IMHO, at a certain point, bands can lose their momentum, as members leave. My own band, essentially, did that, and we narrowed our setlists and eventually just became a tribute to our own band. We could rehearse for two hours and perform our regulars well enough to please a crowd, but to really get back in the saddle, we’d need some fresh material.

That last sentence is a mouthful. Bands can easily become hidebound to their prior works. I can come up with new material, but if someone comes expecting me to sing Memphis or play Pipeline, I need to give due consideration to the desires of the audience. For a nobody cover band in SE Arizona, that’s not much of a problem, but for a band with a string of hits it becomes a much bigger problem. Andy Williams had to sing Moon River every performance, Roger Miller had to do King of the Road and Glen Campbell had to do Wichita Lineman. Undoubtedly, the Ventures had a lot of songs to revisit, given their vast back-catalog.

Sometimes, it’s just time to say goodbye. I miss the fact that The Ventures are gone, but they had a good run.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I knew this post had all the makings of a "great debate". So I'll stir the pot. Big Grin

First, I'm in my 60s, so keep that in mind. Also, I have a strong opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right, just my opinion. Not sure there is a one size fits all.

Without going into into it. Great that other people took over. The Temptations were designed this way. But without Ruffian, Kendricks and Williams, it eventually was watered down to the point that it is just another cover band. An extremely good one, but a cover band. I don't pay to see cover bands. (That's me)

BTW - I can't stand people telling me they're going to see Journey without Steve Perry.

I think it's great the band had new people, including family members, take up the mantle, but for me, not the Ventures. The soul of most bands lie with the members that created and/or played the songs and the sound that made them unique.

B-52s without Fred Schneider? Not B-52s. Space Cossacks without Ivan. Nope. End of story.

Now having the band retired out and essentially telling the current invested "members" they gotta go. Yeah, that's a bit harsh. Good thing is, here in the surf community we know they can reform as a band, rename themselves something like "Walk Don't Run" (ignoring the Boston band with that name) and promote their tie to the original band. Think David Marks of the Beach Boys. (He was on 4 albums and sang a lot of stuff while Jardine tried to get a "normal job" to please his folks) Cool

Surfcat

NEW - MARCH OF THE DEAD SURFERS - HALLOWEEN MIX!!!! - Agent Octopus
Ghost of Tom Returns (single) From All Hallows Eve 2021 - Agent Octopus

From Atlantis with Love (EP) - Agent Octopus
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Angle of Attack (CD) - Reverb Galaxy

Man has ruled this world as a stumbling demented child king long enough! And as his empire crumbles, my precious Black Widow shall rise as his most fitting successor! - Vincent Price from "The Spirit of the Nightmare"

Last edited: May 29, 2024 16:33:57

ArtS wrote:

Good thing is, here in the surf community we know they can reform as a band, rename themselves something like "Walk Don't Run" (ignoring the Boston band with that name) and promote their tie to the original band.

But what if they already did that?

Newsflash:
From the "You just can't make this up" department, I have it again from reliable sources that:
(Ready for this??)

There's an annual Ventures Fest to be held in Upper Chichester, PA on Saturday September 28th of this year.

Guess who one of the invited guests of honor will be?
None other than Fiona Taylor. Yes - that Fiona Taylor that spearheaded the covert sale of the Ventures name and assets behind the current group's back. The Fiona that pulled the rug out from her stepson's (Mel Taylor's son, Leon) ability to earn a livelihood - same for the other three members.
That's a more-than-strange "celebration" at what is supposed to be a "Festival". Seems like it might turn out to be more of a wake that could turn ugly.

I believe the promoter of the Ventures Fest is or was an SG101 member. Perhaps he might see this post and respond.

My thoughts to the Ventures Fest organizer(s):
Just what the hell are you thinking in inviting the person who engineered the demise of the current Ventures lineup (which included the son of her late husband, Mel Taylor) to an event that is supposed to celebrate the Ventures and their music??!!
Is there some weird logic or some super-sanity I just can't comprehend involved? This could be a Twilight Zone episode. Unbelievable.

Inviting the covert sale architect to an event that praises the positive accomplishments of a musical group that was sold off through her efforts goes beyond very bad taste.

What are we dealing with here? Is it an insensitive promoter inviting a shameless person who wants to unload the remaining Ventures merchandise at some festival event? Perhaps both?

Maybe a Fest attendee will pack a few cartons of eggs and tomatoes - but only for breakfast and lunch, of course. Angel

Unbelievable is the insensitivity, gall, and hubris some people display these days.

J Mo'

Last edited: May 31, 2024 07:33:57

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next