Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
258 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
251 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
212 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
145 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
145 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
132 days ago

dp: dude
113 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
68 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
52 days ago

GDW: showman
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

64%

64%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink WABC-AM: The Big Break late 60's-early 70's

Page 1 of 1

Does anyone in the East Coast US remember the AM radio station WABC in NYC? They had a battle of the bands contest named The Big Break during the late 60's, early 70's. It was hosted by "Cousin Brucie" Bruce Morrow. I wonder if there are any musicians out there who were part of these contests or knows someone who played in one. I am doing important scholarly research on AM radio in the late 1960's.

• Bill M.

What day is Surf Rock's birthday? Looks like Surf Rock and I was born the same year. Maybe we are both Libras?

when all the planets were lined up just right i used to be able to pick that station up in my car when i lived in florida. i don't remember much about it though.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing
when all the planets were lined up just right i used to be able to pick that station up in my car when i lived in florida. i don't remember much about it though.

carol

Yup. When we went upcoast in the early hours, we could pick it up if the weather was just right.

CUTBACK

Me! The WABC All Americans! Dan Ingram was my fav DJ. (The closest they played to surf, however, was WipeOut.) Surf was pretty much unknown in metro NYC in the 60s.

Another good station back then was WMCA.

I remember . . . of course, I grew up in South Jersey, so it really wasn't too much work to pull in WABC. Locally, our "hits" station was WFIL in Philly . . .

I was just a kid, but still remember listening to the radio then . . . I like to listen to the sound checks that are out there on the Internet - I remember all of those "jocks"! Smile

-Dick

Fender Reissue Cap Mod Site
http://home.comcast.net/~rmessick2/

Bruce Morrow aka Cousin Brucie gets my vote.

flatwound01
I remember . . . of course, I grew up in South Jersey, so it really wasn't too much work to pull in WABC. Locally, our "hits" station was WFIL in Philly . . .

I was just a kid, but still remember listening to the radio then . . . I like to listen to the sound checks that are out there on the Internet - I remember all of those "jocks"! Smile

-Dick

WFIL was my favorite too circa 1972-76. Jim O'Brien was my favorite. He tragically died too young in a skydiving accident. So much incredible music over such a short time span, we took it so much for granted. I don't think anyone under 35 could comprehend a time when the top 40 was actually worth listening to.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I listened to it constantly, up until FM snuck in in the mid-60s. Grew up in Goshen NY and lived on a hill, so it came in strong. I actually met cousin brucie later. He bought WALL, a station in Middletown NY, and was a fixture on the local scene in the 70s. Cool guy. I really liked Dan Ingram as well.

Lots of rolling hills in the Middletown/Goshen area mad_dog. Very pretty in the fall.

So does anyone remember "The Big Break" battle of the bands contest? from WABC?

• Bill

What day is Surf Rock's birthday? Looks like Surf Rock and I was born the same year. Maybe we are both Libras?

Hey Bill!
I just happened to see your post about the WABC Big Break. Of course, it's been awhile since you posted, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I, along with my high school buddies, participated in and won the Big Break in 1969. We were in a band called The Strangers This was the year Steppenwolf was the featured act where we witnessed the keyboard player falling over backwards in the middle of a song. Got to meet them in their dressing room. They were mighty trashed...
Anyway, I'm still in touch with some of the members of The Strangers. We have lots of memories and even some paraphernalia from the show. Fond memories.

Jamie Coan

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023 16:04:21

I remember the show. Most of the acts were at low volume and at low talent.
Bruce Morrow would throw in his pitch to keep kids off marijuana and drugs in between acts and commercials. Nevertheless, some of the acts were pretty zonked.

John Zacherley (the Cool Ghoul) had a similar show on WNJU-TV (Newark, NJ), a UHF station which was hard to tune in. I had to play with the TV antenna to get a halfway decent signal.

Cousin Brucie also hosted a TV show (WABC au Go-GO?) with Scott Muni (ScotSo). I saw Cannibal and the Headhunters and Jay and the Americans on that. The show's opening theme was the Safaris' "Wipeout".

I met Bruce Morrow once in the Wall Stret area of NYC. He asked me for subway directions.
The guy is in his mid-eighties and still kicking. Good for him.
J Mo

I was there. My band (with me) competed in the contest in Summer 1967. On a Sunday we drove to the Empire State Building in Manhattan from the Sheepshead Bay area of Brooklyn. The parking lot was in the basement of the building and we took an elevator into a music studio belonging to radio station WABC. We met disc jockey Bruce Morrow ("Cousin Brucie") https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Morrow, who hosted our one-song recording session in person--and still works at WABC as a D.J. They played the recording back for us while we were there--it sounded totally professional, far better than our impression of our sound. It took me twenty seconds to recognize my own guitar playing on playback.

To get a spot in this competition all we did was volunteer.

Three of our five band members were the same as had performed at the NY World's Fair in 1965. One of my sisters replaced the drummer and another sister added bass guitar. We had prepared two songs for the competition, our own instrumental arrangement of "Goldfinger" (and it was dynamite) and an uptempo vocal cover called "He's the Kind of Guy." I could not find this song on Youtube or streaming, only unrelated songs. We should have played Goldfinger but we played the cover.

The entire experience was overshadowed by our drive. Twe blocks into the voyage from my parent's home the windshield wipers on my dad's old Ford station wagon died, with rain pouring down hard and continuously. I steered the car based on looking through the water streams on the windshield, sticking my head out the window, and receiving reports from band member Don, who sat by the front passenger window. Our desire for the adventure overcame the irrationality of driving through New York City nearly blind.

Fortunately, the rain quit while we were performing and the trip back was uneventful. So was the result as we never heard another thing about it.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023 19:31:41

Great stories, thanks for sharing!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1