Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
92 days ago

GDW: showman
43 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Is this the 4th wave?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Please comment below. If you answer yes, when do you define the transition from 3rd wave? Or if no, do you even expect a 4th wave or is this it? How would you define a 4th wave?

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

I don't think a fourth wave of anything could exist. Second wave makes sense, and so does third wave, but fourth wave... I can't see where it can go.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

a resurgence? yes, a wave no. Surf is still obscure, and that's the beauty of it.

www.myspace.com/vondrats
www.myspace.com/therobotssurfband

I hope surf music is here to stay but under the radar. If it ever goes mainstream, it will be over. Let us hope that never happens.

Surf is inbetween things right now.

First of all, I don't see how dividing into waves keeps it from being "underground", it always will be, don't worry. To me, a designated 3rd waver, it seems like things are really happening more than in a long time. Just think of the last couple years- The Nebulas, The Surfites, The Thunderchiefs, The Verbtones, The Volcanics, The 'Verb's supposed release :D, The Lava Rats, Meshuggah Beach Party, The Reluctant Aquanauts, The Madeira,...the list goes on and on (and my apologies to anyone I've neglected to mention).
There's a lot more to prick your ears up to than during that dark period between 1998 and 2004. The 3rd died at the end of the 90s after the Great Surf Crash of '97. We looked around and the Bomboras and Ghastly Ones had hung it up, the Boss Martians became the Small Faces, Johnny Bartlett left the Phantom Surfers, and folks stopped coming to shows. It was a real bummer. So if we must divide into waves, I say viva la 4th! It's a really exciting and great time to be a fan!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I agree that surf probably died down a bit in the late 90's but it never stopped, I was seeing alot of bands that started in 95 to 2000, in the late 90's and early 2000's and yes there have been alot of new band that have popped up since 2000. But to me surf didn't stop, just not huge bands like in the early 90's of the Bomboras and Pilgriims ilk.
it is still very much underground. But thats not reason to say it stopped.
just slowed down and got smaller.

so I say Viva la 3rd wave may it roll on and on forever.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The supposed release of the 'Verbs album is sitting on my living room floor as we speak. We'll have details up in a couple days on how to get a hold of a copy and all that stuff.

I think at this current moment in time we may potentially be in the nascent forms of a fourth wave. As guys have mentioned, the surf scene has been picking up more steam recently. I blame this site for much of it. It seems to have centralized and strengthened the community. Danny said in his interview on the podcast that he has the site to thank for his entrance into the scene, and it's certainly helped me get out to shows, get to meet people, and inspire me to try my own hand at surf guitar. If that sort of trend continues with more newcomers, the fourth wave may be just around the corner.

From the 1st day I got into surf music I never did see it in waves I just plain jane dig it all but we are glad to ride what ever wave this is, surf will never die it will always stay alive with folks like all of us keeping it going it being mainstream or underground.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I don't know. I'm still waiting for new stuff that will really give the fourth wave a "defining moment". The SP/Ghastlies show up in Portland was evidence that surf is very much alive and well (with paid attendance well into the hundreds), and there are more and more bands seeming to pop up every day, but if I had to give a definitive answer, I'd say we are on the cusp of the beginning of the fourth wave.

~B~

of course this is the fourth wave. the third wave died when the treble spankers quit in 1998. the forth wave started when the phantom four started in 2004.

or is that being too nethercentric? Very Happy

yeah I think this is the fourth wave, though it's hardly as large as the thrird. and the peirod inbetween 3th and 4th maybe is so short that they seem to go over in eachother. anyway, I think the internet and international contacts are much bigger part of the 4th wave. much more spread of music now via myspace, band websites and podcasts. Also I think there are more self releasing bands, and less label released cd's but I could be wrnong there. anyway, change of atmosphere.

but in Europe I think it's much harder to get gigs last two years coming back a bit. and shows draw less audience. All surf events got changed into surf&RnR&garage events. maybe the 4th wave is just very small and US+ internet based.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Ya know, I always looked at it as 3rd, but really asking myself this, and after reading this forum, I voted 4th. I honestly think the main reason is...internet. There is a HUGE variation of Surf Music out here. Course, The Mermen exsisted years ago lol...maybe its all just in my head.
Question...what will the 5th wave bring? I just think its cool that its waves Cool

*goes off humming 'and on the 12th wave of surf music my true love gave to me...a reverb tank and a true tube amp' Razz
2 cents

I'm gonna say no just because there doesn't seem to be a major defining moment or shift. I think the 3rd wave is still going and is slightly recovering from a minor slump.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

here here Brian, you said it best there with your simple and to the point
post.
There was internet and cowabunga in the 90's. and
there were some people on there from foreign countries.
I think there are way more bands now than in the 90's
I don't think that surf being put out by lables , or how booking shows has anything to do with it.
there have been a constant flow of bands coming out since 91 till now.
yes some broke up, and some lables stopped releasing it. But the hard core fans have always known its been there all along.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IMO there have really only been 2 waves.

The first wave ended abruptly in the mid 60's.

Jon and the Nightriders pretty much championed the revival in the late 70's early 80's and it never really stopped from then?

Sure it surged in the 90's, but J&TN, the Halibuts, Insect Surfers, Phantom Surfers and other 2nd wavers were still going, some are STILL going.

So when did the 2nd wave end?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I think the usual marker for the 3rd wave was Pulp Fiction, as the bands and interest in surf music spiked. Of course the 2nd Wave bands can keep going, there were just a bunch of new surf bands almost overnight after the movie.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

this is kinda grey area,
J&tNR's stopped in 86 and started again in 96
The Surf Raiders stopped sometime in the 80's and Bob moved to Utah.
I'm not sure about the Halibuts, how much they played thru the late 80's early 90's I'll ask Rick to chime in here.
Dave moved and The Insect Surfers changed sounds from New wave
to their current sound when he reformed in 86.
Phantom Surfers and Untammed Youth both started in the late 80's

I'd say there was a definite lull in the late 80's more than in the late 90's
But I kinda see your point.

But I think that the resurgance of the early 90's was a definite shift in style and energy. It seemed like a new thing to me. even though I wasn't there Cry

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, but that (Pulp Fiction) thing was more of a spike or surge than an ending and new beginning.

There were actually a whole mess of bands that preceeded Pulp Fiction:
The Woodies, Surf Trio, The Mermen, Laika and the Cosmonauts, Pollo Del Mar (I think), Satan's Pilgrims (I think)
That's all I can think of, I'm not a bonafide surf historian, but I'm sure there were more...

Anyway, that's my take on the whole thing.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I think the internet and international contacts are much bigger part of the 4th wave.

This could be the defining factor. The internet has been around a while but Myspace is fairly new and everyone is on it and getting more traffic than a regular web site. It's a revolution for all forms of music.

I know doodley squat about waves but the first wave probably ended simply because the musicians themselves moved on to new forms, like Paul Johnson getting folkie, Randy Holden getting psychedelic and so on. We know others discovered new effects and techniques and embraced them. while the recording industry moved on to whatever was selling. It does seem like there is a current resurgence going on with more surf music than ever in TV, radio and film.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next