Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
308 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
301 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
262 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
195 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
195 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
182 days ago

dp: dude
163 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
118 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
102 days ago

GDW: showman
53 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mustang Bridge on a Jazzmaster

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Unfortunatley, I am starting to experience the pitfalls of the stock Jazzmaster bridge on my AVRI. Crying Now from what I have read, the easiest solution is to replace the bridge with a Mustang bridge. I was checking Mustang bridges out on Warmoth and they offer two versions; one standard and one modified. I am not sure which one to go with and then the next question is Warmoth the best place to buy a Mustang bridge from? OR, is better to have my guitar tech deepen the saddles with a file, add a little bit of loctite and call it a day? FYI I am currently running Fender flatwound 11's but am bumping up to Thomastik flatwound 12's as soon as they get here. Thanks in advance!

Check out Rat Surf Radio - Surf Trash Garage Punk PODCAST!
http://www.ratsurfradio.com

dirtbagsurfer_
Unfortunatley, I am starting to experience the pitfalls of the stock Jazzmaster bridge on my AVRI. Crying Now from what I have read, the easiest solution is to replace the bridge with a Mustang bridge. I was checking Mustang bridges out on Warmoth and they offer two versions; one standard and one modified. I am not sure which one to go with and then the next question is Warmoth the best place to buy a Mustang bridge from? OR, is better to have my guitar tech deepen the saddles with a file, add a little bit of loctite and call it a day? FYI I am currently running Fender flatwound 11's but am bumping up to Thomastik flatwound 12's as soon as they get here. Thanks in advance!

First off, welcome to the board dirtbag!

The Mustang Bridge is the easiest solution in my opinion and the Warmouth modified bridge would be a good way to go.
The modified is the best of the JM and Mustang bridges together in one.

A standard Mustang bridge doesn't have set screws to adjust the height of the individual stings like the JM Bridge; the Warmouth Modified adds this feature to the Mustang saddles.

The Thunderchiefs

Modified Mustang bridge is an excellent choice, what kind of issues have you been going through with the stock AVRI bridge? personaly I use the stock bridges on my Jaguars & Jazzmaster I have never had any issues with strings popn' off or rattles so far so good over the years.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

dirtbag:

I use the standard old Mustang Bridge on my CIJ Jazzmaster...I like it a lot.
I had the "string rattle" and "string pop-off" issues with the stock Jazzmaster bridge, the slotted non-adjustable Mustang Bridge did the trick for me.

I am considering trying Graph Tec saddles...

-dp

Last edited: May 08, 2007 14:07:34

diceophonic
Modified Mustang bridge is an excellent choice, what kind of issues have you been going through with the stock AVRI bridge? personaly I use the stock bridges on my Jaguars & Jazzmaster I have never had any issues with strings popn' off or rattles so far so good over the years.

Strings popping out of the saddles (not all the way out, maybe moving one or two positions) and some rattling, although not too bad. I also think that on the last set up that the string height was set a bit too low and after settling in a little bit, the intonation has gone a little wacky. This also might be due to the screws wiggling loose from the rattlin', but I am not sure.

I went ahead and ordered the modified Mustang bridge and I'll take her back in for another set up along with the bridge swap.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Check out Rat Surf Radio - Surf Trash Garage Punk PODCAST!
http://www.ratsurfradio.com

dp
dirtbag:

I had the "string ratttle" and "string pop-off" issues with the stock bridge, the slotted stock Mustang Bridge did the trick for me.

-dp

I wish they made those in chrome or nickle.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I put those Graphtech saddles on a Jaguar bridge, and they sound good but they are not wide enough so there is a slight gap between saddles, causing them to be pulled towards the center. I use a Buzz Stop on my Jaguar and Jazzmaster and never have a problem, unless you want to strike the strings behind the bridge.

diceophonic

If you REALLY care, a little silver nail polish would do the trick. Do it off the guitar with an AVRI. Could be utter carnage if the polish got on nitro finish. Don't know that, but I'm guessin' it would be nasty. Gonna be hard to ever come up with that material in anything beyond a little sparkly gunmetal grey... I personally didn't like the tone on the strats I've played with them. I'm afraid they would suck the life out of a jag. Maybe not so bad on a JM.

diceophonic

dp
dirtbag:

I had the "string ratttle" and "string pop-off" issues with the stock bridge, the slotted stock Mustang Bridge did the trick for me.

-dp

dice:

I hear ya'...lot's of people don't care for the look of the GraphTech (or the Tusq) saddles...

I threw a Buzz Stop on my MIJ Jaguar and all the problems with slipping and rattling are gone. I didn't notice any increase in tension or loss tone. It is a little harder to lock and unlock the bridge. But I can live with that.

My AVRI Jazzmaster doesn't seem to have any of the problems like the Jag. Same string guage and brand on both. On the AVRI JM, the barrels have coarser threads for the Low E and A and the strings seem to stay seated no matter how much I beat the guitar up.

But the Buzz Stop is a quick cheap solution with minimal set up issues. I am happy with it.

RT

I've got a CIJ jazzmaster (running .013–.053) and had major trouble with strings bouncing between grooves on the saddles. Sometimes the low E would slip toward the edge of the saddle and the saddle would twist out from under the string. I put a BuzzStop on and that helped, but strings were still moving. I recently put an All Parts Mustang bridge on and I love it. Wish I would have done it sooner. I can play the thing without holding back. The only trade-off is no height adjustment on the saddles, but so far that doesn't seem to be a problem.
I know many people play these things stock without any problem, but for me these mods are a big improvement. YMMV.

The Volcanos

You can't cover the GraphTechs with another material. The whole idea is that they have a Teflon coating. If you cover them (with nail polish as mentioned above), you eliminate the effectiveness of the Teflon.

The Warmoth modified Mustang bridge has the adjustable saddles on 1, 2, 5, and 6. The middle ones are fixed. I think they designed it this way so you could use the bridge with a flatter radiused neck. If you have a vintage radius (7 1/4"), then the Warmoth bridge might be overkill.

I've had a Mustang bridge on my Jaguar for years and when I got my AVRI JM I put one on that guitar too...immediately. I like the modified saddles on the Warmoth bridge, but haven't had any issues with the fixed height of the standard Mustang saddles.

Here's a pic of the standard Mustang bridge that I'll be fitting to my Jag tomorrow. It only looks bigger 'cos it's stood on the guitar so it's nearer the camera: It's exactly the same size.

I'm not a big fan of the adjustable Allen screws, they have a tendency to move if they are not taking equal tension or if the saddle gets supported by the one next to it, so I opted for this type.

Having said that - the screws never seem to move in the Graphtec saddles that I have on a Tele and a LAG jet. It's just that I didn't fancy either the Buzzstop or the Graphtec option on the Jag for fear of losing....ummm Jagginess...

I've been sitting on this bridge (not literally) for a week, but as my SD SJAG1 p/up should be delivered tomorrow - I can do both jobs at once.

I do rate the graphtec stuff - they do the job on the other guitars I use them on - but there is a change in sound (for the better on my US Tele for sure) and anyway the Jag ones seem pretty impossible to get in the UK.... so after weighing up the options , I went for this. I'll review the results...

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

PhatTele
You can't cover the GraphTechs with another material. The whole idea is that they have a Teflon coating. If you cover them (with nail polish as mentioned above), you eliminate the effectiveness of the Teflon.

Don't put it where the strings run. Any other questions?! I'm an AmeriCAN not an AmeriCAN'T Twisted Evil

With my CIJ JM I first tried the buzzstop, but found that it made doing tremolo dips very awkward. The bar blocks the trem bar from being pushed down unless it is facing almost at your feet. Has anyone else had this problem?

I got rid of that and put an All-Parts Mustang bridge on, problem solved.

Be advised that the after market Mustang saddles are made for the MIJ/CIJ Jazzmaster/Jaguars...the saddles are not wide enough for an AVRI. I went through this hell a few years ago. I ended up buying a vintage Mustang bridge off eBay. The gaps don't bug some people, but they sure did me. The strings moved around on me. Rubber band chunks worked for a while, but it looked ridiculous and didn't always work.

When I asked the GraphTech people if they were aware their saddles had the same problem they gave me the "who gives a crap" dirty look. I won't do business with them now.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I tried the graph tech saddles and hated them. I called the company to make the recomendation that they consider widening the saddles to fill the gaps and was politely told to "stuff it". Keeping that in mind, no graph tech products reside on any of Katcher's guitars.

I was frankly amazed at their arogant attitude.........And the width issue wasn't the only aggravation, the saddles themselves were so slick that the bridge would slide back and forth and drove the intonation nuts. And if all this wasn't enough, it made my Jazzmaster sound kind of like a Strat. Yuck.

Just re-shim the neck, put some low grade loc-tite on the screws, set it up for at least 12's, and go for it.....ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

By far the easiest and most economical solution to the Jaguar/Jazzmaster saddle issue is to file a small notch in the stock saddles for the string to ride in, with a jeweler's file. I've been doing this since the 60's and it works like a charm.

I tried one of the adjustable Mustang bridges a couple years ago and didn't care for it at all. But, different strokes...

Jack Booth
(aka WoodyJ)

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

eddiekatcher
I tried the graph tech saddles and hated them.

Add me to the list of Graph-tech non-fans. I had them on a Strat for a while - switching back to vintage-style saddles made a WORLD of difference. The sound was dramatically improved.

if all this wasn't enough, it made my Jazzmaster sound kind of like a Strat. Yuck.

And it made my Strat sound like Puke

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: 1 2 Next