Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
278 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
271 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
232 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
165 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
165 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
152 days ago

dp: dude
133 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
88 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
72 days ago

GDW: showman
23 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next

pavlovsdog wrote:

I got mine the other day and it's definitely a fixer upper. Volume knob wasn't put on correctly, nut is absolute shit, the pickups are so high they are touching the strings, etc. Totally unplayable as of right now.

Are the only option for flats the la Bella? $65is a lot for strings?

Elderly has them in stock for under $49.00 with free shipping. They're not necessary but are quiet and will last forever. A .95 low E is necessary to correctly intonate it. A .78 A is good too. Sorry about your other issues. Yuck!!!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

pavlovsdog wrote:

I got mine the other day and it's definitely a fixer upper. Volume knob wasn't put on correctly, nut is absolute shit, the pickups are so high they are touching the strings, etc. Totally unplayable as of right now.

Elderly has them in stock for under $49.00 with free shipping. They're not necessary but are quiet and will last forever. A .95 low E is necessary to correctly intonate it. A .78 A is good too. Sorry about your other issues. Yuck!!!

pavlovsdog wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

Brian... Help!

is there an echo pedal in here?
Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

is there an echo pedal in here?
Wink

That's what I was thinking, BTD. lol

That's what I was thinking, BTD. lol

that's what i was thinking, btd. LOL

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-2020
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

The Labellas are the best option, I personally think the .95 is too floppy, but they are really great strings!

Something amusing.........when I got my Squier Bass VI last year I replaced the low E with a .100 and left the rest of the stock strings.
A year later that's what is still on there and it works great for me.
I guess I'm just not that picky and if something works for me I just leave it alone.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

When people say bad things about the string, it really is only that E.

Yeah.
I'm still with the round CircleK custom set (106), they are very stable and tight, intonation with a Jazzmaster stock AVRI bridge is just perfect. But it sounds like a modern short scale bass guitar. I really feel how this instrument was born for flats.
So, round for low E, and the rest LaBellas? Confused OMG Puke

If I wanted heavier strings than the LaBellas, I might consider Rotosound Swing Bass 66 flatwound strings for the deep end. I have these on my Squier VM J-Bass and I like them a lot. They're excellent. You definitely want the 45-105 set, though.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014 12:36:26

Giddy up! finally...

Yeah!!!

Got a logo picked out?

Very nice, andreuthegiant!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015 09:37:17

Just an update on mine. Staytrem tremolo upgrade installed and the loose clankiness of the stock vibrato is gone. Plus, the reshaped, higher arm keeps my fingers from accidently brushing the strings when I play ala Hank Marvin.

Also, I had a new slot cut for the high-E string, to move it in from the edge of the frets, so now the high-E string doesn't fall off the frets like before. This will do until I get a better nut.

After these improvements, I may want to upgrade the bridge later. But it plays a lot better already.

Hi guys,

having gone through 30 pages and testing it in a guitar shop, I still am unsure, so I need some help here.

I'm mainly home-recording, and I need a bass for it, but I can buy only one since I already have too many guitars (JM, Jag, Strat, Nighthawk, some Accoustics). I am completely on GAS with the Bass IV because of its unique sound and its dual use as a bass and barritone (I currently play mostly surf). BUT, I play some other stuff, so I would need it to accommodate standard bass lines, as well.

I read here that someone used it instead of a bass in a band, but most seem to go for the barritone sound... The sound seemed to lack, naturally, quite some low end (even with the neck and middle PU on), and sustain for a low end sound carpet (due to the low angle bridge).

But then, I'm more a guitar player who has little experience in setting up a bass amp properly. So: Can this be overcome by EQ and settings when needed?

In other words: Is the Bass VI worth a serious main bass substitute? Is there anyone who uses it as an actual bass? Or is it rather a specific barri-tone effect in addition to a band's main bass? Should I rather let go of the barritone idea and buy a jazz bass instead?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015 11:52:37

I read here that someone used it instead of a bass in a band, but most seem to go for the barritone sound... The sound seemed to lack, naturally, quite some low end (even with the neck and middle PU on), and sustain for a low end sound carpet (due to the low angle bridge).

The instrument is 100% a bass, in my opinion. With a string change, it can be tuned A-A, like a Baritone. Most people keep it E-E, bass tuning. However, people fully make use of all six strings so it isn't always traditional bass lines.

As for the break angle, that is all on the quality of your setup. The Squier does need some help to make it an everyday usable instrument. The bridge is an abomination and the stock string gauge is too light.

I compared a Staytrem VI bridge versus the stock bridge(both with Labella strings) and the Staytrem VI bridge has FAR superior low end response.

But then, I'm more a guitar player who has little experience in setting up a bass amp properly. So: Can this be overcome by EQ and settings when needed?

Musicians tend to be oblivious to the wonders of EQ/Tone controls. You can do big things with those knobs.

In other words: Is the Bass VI worth a serious main bass substitute? Is there anyone who uses it as an actual bass? Or is it rather a specific barri-tone effect in addition to a band's main bass? Should I rather let go of the barritone idea and buy a jazz bass instead?

Yes, it is a serious bass. And I will repeat it needs a little work to be an everyday workhorse bass. I'm not aware of anybody in surf using one, we used a VI on our first album on several tracks in place of our bassist regular Jazz bass, or Stone Gossard's amazing Lake Placid P-bass we found in the basement.

Outside of surf music, you have Jack Bruce of Cream, the Beatles, Placebo, Tielman Brothers, Jet Harris... The Cure used a couple heavily, really as a bass even thought it was higher voiced in addition to a lower bass guitar. Cocteau Twins have a track only featuring VIs.

John Entwistle used one in the early Who days. He used to prefer short scale basses. I've seen the Dead Kennedys with one, a band called Blonde Redhead uses a VI.

Until two years ago, it was extremely hard and expensive to get your hands on one of these guitars!

I am presently working in a budding three piece, playing a mix of classic surf and other stuff that colors outside the lines a bit- covers and originals. As the bass player, I mainly use the trad 4 string but we are finding uses for the VI on three or four tunes. Sometimes, it's just for a semi-nostalgic effect and other times it allows us melodic/coloration options while still providing some low end. The VI can certainly function as a traditional bass or a regular guitar with deep voice, but I also find that is kind of it's own animal too(!)and consequently, we're exploring the best ways to use it. Stay tuned!
image Guitar Groovy Thumbs Up

mj

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next