Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
252 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
220 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
214 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
175 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
108 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
108 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
94 days ago

dp: dude
75 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
30 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

0%

0%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Best 2x15 Fender Bass Cab, 60's style ?

Page 1 of 1

...for surf...

I'm not a bass player, so all my gear is guitar oriented.
Our bass player wants to get a BF or SF era 2x15 cabinet that is not of the Jumbo late 60's/70's type.

His amp is the SF BASSMAN 135 (a monster amp, btw)

Soo, what are you bass guys using in the piggy-back realm for 2x15 cabinets that don't distort or get all flappy when you crank them?

If you only use single 15 and it's Good and Loud (good meaning doesn't distort, and loud meaning able to withstand out-door shows) don't hesitate to mention and/or post pics!

Thanks

Our bassist uses a retolexed in blonde/gold sparkle version of this with a Showman: http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/

HUGE improvement in sound/where it sits in the band over when he used a 2x15 Showman cab. He and I use to clash all of the time as we had matching amps/cabs but after he got this the sound of the band improved immensely.

Bob at Beaverbottoms would build you any cab you wanted...

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-2020
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Some very knowledgeable tone sticklers and I have been discussing this quite a bit lately and have come to the final conclusion that 2 15s in the same enclosure just isn't the optimum sound. Really good single bass 15s like a JBL E140 sound their best in their own individual cabs. As Jake mentioned, the right 4 x 10 can sound incredible too. I've also heard a few a bass-specific 2 x 12s that were shockingly good.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014 00:27:05

The problem with the old smaller (36 x 24 x 11.5) Bassman and Showman 2x15 cabinets and especially the later larger ones is that their depth is way too shallow for good bass reproduction. The smaller ones do sound pretty good with good speakers, E-V 15B or 15L in particular. The larger late '60's-'70's ones...ummm, not so good. There is a lot of science involved in modern bass cabinet construction regarding internal volume and porting that wasn't the factor then that it is today.

The 1960's Ampeg B-15N and the single Showman 1x15 cabinets had double front baffles which were state of the art at the time. But the Ampeg was only 25-30 watts while the single Showman was 85W which was a lot in those days. But cone area matters for bass and a 2x15 or a pair of 1x15's will work pretty much anywhere if there is enough power pushing them. Larger venues generally have FOH (front of house) PA support, so a 300+ watt bass amp really isn't necessary except for stage volume. Rowland Salley, Chris Isaak's bass player uses a pair of blackface single Showmans (tone ring cabs) on stage and his bass sound/tone is as good as it gets.

A well-designed modern 2x15 cabinet can work well on stage if the depth is sufficient and is properly ported. Peavey built some really good ones in the '70's and '80's and they can be bought dirt cheap these days. Pictured here is a '70's Peavey 215 center slot port cabinet that my pal and fellow SG101-er Eddie Katcher "Fenderized" 13 years ago. It has a pair of E-V 15BX 400 watt speakers and it has "that" sound with plenty of headroom, even with an 85 watt Dual Showman head powering it.

The Ampeg SVT with a 8x10 cabinet seems to be the big stage standard rig but I've never cared for their compressed sound. After 40+ years of playing bass with several different bands - rock, country, surf, bluegrass, jazz - a pair of 15's is usually my "go to" setup.

Bass players, just like guitar players, have strong opinions about what is "the best". One big difference is that they seem to embrace modern technology regarding amplification somewhat more than guitarists do.

Here's the Peavey cab. I paid $40 for it (without speakers) before Eddie K made it pretty...

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004, 2024-)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014 13:02:10

I am still partial to the original 2-15 cab that measures 24 x 36 x 12. Every bass player that has played with both the X-Rays and The Surge! has been very pleased with this style cab with two EV-15B's Usually powered with one of our Showman heads this combo has done a very good job and with castors is relatively easy to move. I have tired the big cab with EV's PV's and D-140's but the speakers seem to flap more and the cabs are a pain to load in the van. I also have a single 15 tone ring that sounds good but is no match for a 2-15 cab out on stage in the real world.

Quiz Bob at BB on a custom "Fender" cab but make it 15" deep. That is an earth shaking improvement to the standard cabinet. Take it to another level? Have it horn ported like the Sunn 200S. The Sunn bass amp and Peavey Dynabass cabinets were pretty much untouchable for vintage rigs until Ampeq released the SVT. Oh yeah, almost forgot the "Coral Killowatt" and Kustom K-200 3-15 amps.

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Wow..what a lot of good advise and opinion.....
I like all those ideas. Retolexing an Ampeg, Peavey or Sunn cabinet is a great idea. We want our amps to match, and our particular looks is Black Tolex with Silver-sparkle grille.

Our bass player at the moment is considering a Sunn 200S or 2000S 2x15 cab, which DOES have the deeper measurement. And it's ported. We think it might be a good match to the Bassman 135 amp, and it's sufficiently Fendery looking so that a change to Silver-sparkle grille cloth and a Fender Badge would complete the picture for most casual observers.

Love that picture, btw, Woody~ Cool as heck.

I'd still like more people to express what THEY feel or think is the ideal bass cab for live surf work.

IF, anyone here has or knows about an unloaded Sunn, Peavey, or Ampeg 2x15 bass cab like the ones being discussed here, that would be good for our bass player, in the Portland area, please contact me here, or email, private message, telegraph, pony express, runner, smoke signals...whatever.

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014 10:31:40

eddiekatcher wrote:

I am still partial to the original 2-15 cab that measures 24 x 36 x 12. Every bass player that has played with both the X-Rays and The Surge! has been very pleased with this style cab with two EV-15B's Usually powered with one of our Showman heads this combo has done a very good job and with castors is relatively easy to move. I have tired the big cab with EV's PV's and D-140's but the speakers seem to flap more and the cabs are a pain to load in the van. I also have a single 15 tone ring that sounds good but is no match for a 2-15 cab out on stage in the real world.

Quiz Bob at BB on a custom "Fender" cab but make it 15" deep. That is an earth shaking improvement to the standard cabinet. Take it to another level? Have it horn ported like the Sunn 200S. The Sunn bass amp and Peavey Dynabass cabinets were pretty much untouchable for vintage rigs until Ampeq released the SVT. Oh yeah, almost forgot the "Coral Killowatt" and Kustom K-200 3-15 amps.

Great Comments, Eddie K....I've never heard of a Coral Killowatt. Sounds radical. (can I still use that term?). ;)

That's a Danelectro product, Coral... 6x12 cab? wow...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014 10:42:20

Page 1 of 1