Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
297 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
291 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
252 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
185 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
185 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
171 days ago

dp: dude
152 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
107 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
91 days ago

GDW: showman
42 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Astronauts

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hi everyone! Smile
I'm new here, I just discovered this website, but I like some Surf Rock bands since some years. I've got a question about The Astronauts: is there any live recording of The Astronauts where they play instrumental Surf Rock, such as Baja or Surf Party? I know there is Everything is A-OK and all that, but that is more a Rock and Roll album than a Surf Rock one. User IvanP told me about Movin' (Thank you!) but is there anything else, any "Bootleg",audience or soundboard recording of their instrumental stuff?
Thank you and congratulations for the website!

Tony, welcome to the forum! The only live Astronauts recording that I've ever heard where they perform their surf stuff live is The Astronauts Live in Japan in 1965. They do a medley of Surf Party, Movin', Pipeline.

The Astronauts have been discussed quite a bit on this forum. Try the serach function and you'll see tons of stuff on them

By all accounts (including original band members)they did not want to play surf but were talked into doing it by the label RCA because they were looking for their very own answer to the Beach Boys.

Nevertheless, their two Surf/Hot Rod records are some of the best loved and most respected recordings of the sixties bands.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

I don't think the Astronauts had any concept of themselves as an instrumental band at all. The survivors don't seem to, anyway.

Officially, there's Movin' (太陽の彼方に). There's at least one comparable bootleg "all-instrumental" collection floating around, assembled from issued sources.

There's Eddie Katcher's Astronauts tribute band that played a couple times in 2013, and some Colorado surf musicians were working on a project to rerecord some of the material in something like the original spirit about a year ago, but for various reasons the project is moribund at present.

Satan's Pilgrims are the closest thing I've seen to subsequent work "in the Astronauts' spirit." Some of it anyway.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014 20:18:54

Thank You!
I've just found a video on YouTube of that medley, it's great! I think it's a pity there is no more recording of their Surf stuff. Even if I've heard and love their Rock and Roll stuff played live, I don't see anything different from any other Rock and Roll group.
I'll search for "The Astronauts" on the forum

shivers13 wrote:

Tony, welcome to the forum! The only live Astronauts recording that I've ever heard where they perform their surf stuff live is The Astronauts Live in Japan in 1965. They do a medley of Surf Party, Movin', Pipeline.

The Astronauts have been discussed quite a bit on this forum. Try the serach function and you'll see tons of stuff on them

By all accounts (including original band members)they did not want to play surf but were talked into doing it by the label RCA because they were looking for their very own answer to the Beach Boys.

Nevertheless, their two Surf/Hot Rod records are some of the best loved and most respected recordings of the sixties bands.

So, I'll someday shall buy "Movin'". I'll search for Eddie Katcher's Astronauts and Satan's Pilgrims, but I think I've already heard something.
Do you know where could I get that bootleg?
Thank you!

Tuck wrote:

I don't think the Astronauts had any concept of themselves as an instrumental band at all. The survivors don't seem to, anyway.

Officially, there's Movin' (太陽の彼方に). There's at least one comparable bootleg "all-instrumental" collection floating around, assembled from issued sources.

There's Eddie Katcher's Astronauts tribute badn that played a couple times in 2013, and some Colorado surf musicians were working on a project to rerecord some of the material in something like the original spirit about a year ago, but for various reasons the project is moribund at present.

Satan's Pilgrims are the closest thing I've seen to subsequent work "in the Astronauts' spirit." Some of it anyway.

I put up a thread with links to Katcher's Astro-Nots tribute performances.

Movin' is well worth the investment. You can get it used for c. $21 through Amazon. I think it pretty well covers the bootleg, which was something unofficial circulating where I live. Not mine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014 16:09:41

There's a video on YouTube of the Astronauts being inducted into the Colorado Music Hall of Fame. Something I posted. The band, which includes Jim Gallagher (being doubled on drums, which is sad) and Stormy Patterson along with some current Colorado musical luminaries, non-surf, plays Baja. It's not at all worth listening to. I'm sorry. There are people in Colorado who could have made it work and would probably have given blood to be involved. They weren't involved. Neither was Rich Fifield, through some indisposition or unhappiness on his part.

Maybe sometime the folks involved in that re-recording project will consider letting out some of the video I took of it, or even the mixed recordings. For the moment I don't think that's possible. It was a decent job and they had a lot of fun with it. The video is pretty weird, because I'm shooting from odd corners of the basement they were playing in. It's various mixes of the AquaSonics (original) and Royal Aces plus Jeff Lewis. I missed one session, the one that included an augmented Royal Aces doing Banzai Pipeline.

Satan's Pilgrims have done a lot of really good things. I think the earlier stuff has the highest percentage of three guitar arrangements. They are awe-inspiring to watch in action. They're playing a reunion show in Portland on July 11th, 2014. A few years ago at SG101 I got to stand near one end of the stage watching them assemble a bunch of things as three parts. It was awe-inspiring. Fortunately or unfortunately the unattended video camera was out in front, and doesn't show that as well. But you can hear it on their CDs and maybe in video of them. There's a DVD you might be able to find with two of their shows on it, from back when they were (more) active. They make a fairly lively corpse. They tend to play about once a year in Portland or California.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014 20:16:02

Three guitar arrangements are pretty different. I remember the participants in the project I mentioned commenting on how odd it was not needing to switch between parts to fill things out. And how grueling it was to keep playing the first rhythm part (Bob Demmon?) continuously without any respite.

Tuck wrote:

They make a fairly lively corpse.

I think this is my favorite thing ever written about us. Thanks Tuck!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Thank you for the post! I've seen some videos. I'll try to buy Movin' as soon as possible. About the bootleg, do you know if I could get a download link or even the tracklist? Thank you for all your help!

You're welcome, Ted. And I meant the metaphor well. Perhaps I should have said "a fairly cohesive diaspora." Actually, I think I heard that the Satanic Diaspora is currently working on a new CD. These days a band don't all have to occupy the same part of the space time continuum to exist as a creative force. But so far bands still have to reassemble to play out. If you reassemble the Peregrine Corpus it's all there and it seems to stagger about pretty well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014 20:34:34

That collection contains:

Baja 2:27
Banzai Pipeline 2:07
Batman 1:54
Devil Driver's Theme 2:13
El Aguila 2:03
Firewater 2:19
Gouch 2:01
Hot-Doggin' 2:26
Kuk 2:14
Let's Go Trippin' 2:02
Main Title from Ride the Wild Surf 2:02
Misirlou 2:04
Movin' 1:58
Pipeline 2:05
Quasimoto 2:17
Quiet Village 2:09
Scotch and Guitar 2:21
Surf Party 2:06
Surf Softly And Carry A Big Board (undubbed) 2:24
Surf's You Right 2:51
Surfer's Stomp 2:38
Surfer Girl 2:25
The Hearse 2:15
The Pier 2:21
Surf Softly and Carry A Big Board (dubbed) 2:22

spskins wrote:

Tuck wrote:

They make a fairly lively corpse.

I think this is my favorite thing ever written about us. Thanks Tuck!

Perhaps there's an album title in that Smile

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Also, in the bootleg line, for whatever reason try Youtube under "the Astronettes." I put a (possibly non-exhaustive) list here. The pros and cons of this as an Astronauts bootleg have been discussed on the Forum before. I'd say bootleg. It may have had something to do with a French all-girl tribute band, but I think that was just a cover story. I haven't seen the actual CD. It includes stuff that appears on Movin'. Bowie did use the name for one of his (non-surf) efforts.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014 11:25:33

BUY THIS NOW!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Agreed. Although what I've seen has a different cover.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014 17:58:59

The one I have, has that cover above.
Never seen anything different.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Does anyone else have a copy of this little-known "Astronauts" LP?

photo

TITLE: The Astronauts, Instrumental Album
LABEL: New Voice Record Company (Taiwan), LW-210
• SONGS, SIDE-A:
1. Hearbreak Hotel
2. Love Me Tender
3. A Big Hunk O' Love
4. His Latest Flame
5. Blue Moon
6. One Mint Julep
• SONGS, SIDE-B:
1. The House of the Rising Sun
2. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
3. Tequila
4. Forty Miles of Bad Road
5. Honky Tonk
6. I Walk The Line

Last edited: May 07, 2014 21:38:27

Old_Tele_man wrote:

Does anyone else have a copy of this little-known "Astronauts" LP?

TITLE: The Astronauts, Instrumental Album
LABEL: New Voice Record Company (Taiwan), LW-210
SONGS, SIDE-A:
1. Hearbreak Hotel
2. Love Me Tender
3. A Big Hunk O' Love
4. His Latest Flame
5. Blue Moon
6. One Mint Julep
SONGS, SIDE-B:
1. The House of the Rising Sun
2. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
3. Tequila
4. Fortymiles of Bad Road
5. Honky Tonk
6. I Walk The Line

I've never heard of it, but of course it would be great to have a copy and listen to that "House of the Rising Sun"

Hopefully, these links work (NOTE: only valid for 30 days from today):

The Astronauts: Heartbreak Hotel (1:52)
The Astronauts: Love Me Tender (2:58)
The Astronauts: A Big Hunk o' Love (2:30)
The Astronauts: (Marie's the name of) His Latest Flame (2:10)
The Astronauts: Blue Moon of Kentucky (2:18)
The Astronauts: One Mint Julep (2:37)
The Astronauts: House of Rising Sun (2:58)
The Astronauts: Lion Sleeps Tonight (2:22)
The Astronauts: Tequila (2:33)
The Astronauts: 40 Miles of Bad Road (2:42)
The Astronauts: Honky Tonk (2:58)
The Astronauts: I Walk the Line (2:24)

Last edited: May 07, 2014 21:52:05

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next