Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
278 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
271 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
232 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
165 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
165 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
152 days ago

dp: dude
133 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
88 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
72 days ago

GDW: showman
23 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 831 32 Next

PrestonRice wrote:

heepeejeep wrote:

Noel wrote:

I can't wait to hear it through my Quilter and Music Man. I wonder which I'll like better?

Probably the two of them together Yes

I remember when I had two amps, it was a lot of fun playing through both amps, you can find so many different sounds by adjusting the levels of each amp.

With the Bass VI I find that a regular guitar amp will sound a little weak/dull, a bass amp makes it sound just like a short-scale bass so running it through both can add some charachter and help bringing out the potential of this instrument. (Unless you swap for a JBL D140F in that Twin Big Razz )

Last edited: Sep 06, 2013 19:25:27

So you're essentially recommending a cab filled with a single 15" JBL D140F to use with either of my amps when I play the Bass VI?

That could be arranged. Smile

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 06, 2013 22:05:03

Noel wrote:

So you're essentially recommending a cab filled with a single 15" JBL D140F to use with either of my amps when I play the Bass VI?

That could be arranged. Smile

This is a of course all about personal taste and reference, but most time playing a bass on a regular guitar amp isn't exactly exciting sonically, adding a bass-cabinet or amplifier to your regular guitar-amp will improve the experience. The VI being so versatile compared to a regular guitar or bass amplifying thereafter do justice to the instrument and makes it alot more fun to play. I used to run my VI's through a Fender Concert along with a Bassman TV 15" with great result. (plenty of that wet click sound along with the deep low end.) Being a rather unpractical and "expensive" setup for my use I think I've managed to scale it all down after some try and fail with reg. guitar amps, maintaining the best from each side. I use a 65 Twin Custom with the 15" swapped to the JBL bass-speaker mentioned, sounds great in my opinion with reg. guitars and it also handels the bass-side of the VI's very well. (Actually it still brings out that childish grin in my face when cranked up a bit. Big Razz )
Guess that most of those second hand VI's showing up on the second hand market in the future will be from guitarplayers finding this to be just like any other regular short-scale bass (with two bonus strings) when plugged into their guitar rig.

Last edited: Sep 07, 2013 06:09:45

Rudi, thanks again for your suggestions. By "minor mods to the bridge" are you referring to all the typical things people do to Squier and MIJ offset bridges to get them quiet and stabile?

Noel wrote:

Rudi, thanks again for your suggestions. By "minor mods to the bridge" are you referring to all the typical things people do to Squier and MIJ offset bridges to get them quiet and stabile?

Sorry for my english here but I'll try to explain.
Intonating the 0.84 requires the bridge saddle to be turned so far back on the bridge that the screw will end up pushing the string, making a contact point before the saddle, I did shorten this screw to avoid this and tried before that to drill a small hole on the opposite direction of the bridge mounting the saddle from this side allowing it to be as far back as possible without the heightening involved when stock. None of these mods made it work any better, also while trying to maintain a decent action, neck bow and avoiding fret buzz. With the other string-gauges mentioned earlier, the intonation and setup goes very smooth. I've done this to three PS Bass VI's and since the SQ got exactly the same messurements the issue in particular with the 0.84 string will probably be the same.

Another cool trick I'd like to share (inspired by Carol Kaye and her tape/foam muting) is to buy the Jag "ashtray" cover for the bridge, cut out and stick a thin piece of foam underneath it, will get you a very nice working/looking mute. Makes those La Bella flats sound even cooler... Cool

Last edited: Sep 07, 2013 10:00:01

Rudi, I know there's a lot of variables, maybe too many, but do you have a pic of a properly intonated Bass VI bridge (top shot) with the stock strings? Or, isn't that possible? Thanks!

I would say that you have a 0.95on the low E. With the stock 0.85 I was able to intonate the bridge correctly at the twelfth fret, but most notes between E and E sounded out of tune. With the 0.95 it sounds correct. I changed all of the other strings accordingly.

Los Fantasticos

Noel wrote:

Rudi, I know there's a lot of variables, maybe too many, but do you have a pic of a properly intonated Bass VI bridge (top shot) with the stock strings? Or, isn't that possible? Thanks!

For you, everything is possible. Laughing

I believe this shot is taken early on with the stock-strings, got the reverse saddle bridge there.
As Djangodeadman also mentions it seemed to always be out of tune. Making a custom set (0.25-0.95)of bass strings would work even with the large ball ends, while you wait for those La Bellas.

Here's the one I got with La Bellas and my "chrome-mute".
I'm not the owner of the black one anymore, so I will break my principles and aquire a Squire as well when they arrive here. They shure do look good apart from that headstock logo.

Last edited: Sep 07, 2013 15:23:46

Thanks so much. I'll pass these pics along.

If anyone is interested, I got out the micrometer and measured the stock low E that shipped on my Squier Bass VI. It measured .086 at the nut. It's possible that the micrometer isn't calibrated exactly, but it's definitely not a .095 even though the Fender spec page states that it ships with a .095 low E.

I find the stock low E to be a little too loose and floppy. I'm going to try out a heavier gauge Labella set like some of you have suggested. Otherwise, I love this guitar/bass!

The low-E on mine mics at .095, and it is loose, floppy and unwilling to properly intonate or stop buzzing. Couple more things to try and then it's La Bella Bass VI flats for it.

Noel wrote:

The low-E on mine mics at .095, and it is loose, floppy and unwilling to properly intonate or stop buzzing. Couple more things to try and then it's La Bella Bass VI flats for it.

It's too bad that these shipped with different gauge strings. It makes it very confusing for the consumer. I was getting some bad buzz with the .086 E, but most of it went away by raising the action. I still find it too floppy though. I only hope that I won't need to do anything to the nut if I replace my .086 set with a La Bella .095 set.

It reminds me of when I was researching the Grestch G5265. They shipped some of those with heavy strings tuned to E and some with Baritone strings tuned to B. Most online documentation states that it is supposed have a Bass VI E to E setup. When I called Grestch they said they decided to change to a B baritone setup since it was more popular.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013 08:21:23

After some confusion over everything, it does turn out my Bass VI came with .025 - .086. strings. The top five strings sound fine and are intonated. Only the skinny low-E won't cooperate. We're going to try to get a set of the strings it's supposed to have, and see what happens.

martianspy wrote:

If anyone is interested, I got out the micrometer and measured the stock low E that shipped on my Squier Bass VI. It measured .086 at the nut. It's possible that the micrometer isn't calibrated exactly, but it's definitely not a .095 even though the Fender spec page states that it ships with a .095 low E.

I find the stock low E to be a little too loose and floppy. I'm going to try out a heavier gauge Labella set like some of you have suggested. Otherwise, I love this guitar/bass!

you need to measure a section of the string that hasn't been streched. maybe the section in the string post.

We just found out a Curt Mangan nickel .095 long-scale bass string fits the low-E position perfectly. We were looking at all the extra string below the saddles on the Bass VI compared to regular basses, and realized it just about used up the extra length of strings designed for 34" scale necks. The string fit the vintage tuner perfectly, and while the intonation isn't perfect, it's lots better and there's virtually no buzz, let alone rattle. Success! We're going to try the rest of the set later and see if they balance better.

But I will still put on the La Bella flats when I can afford them. Big Grin

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013 13:38:05

I've got it home. Also put on a Mangan .076 for the number 5 (A) string. Kudos to Paul Kugelman of Pocono Music Exchange for a very thorough and excellent setup, and going through a bunch of strings to find what really works. Everything including the bridge is stabile and works as it ought to. Pictures to follow.

Guitar is well-intonated now, very playable without buzzes anywhere. And guess what? It sounds killer through my old Stage 112SE that I traded in on the Music Man 212-130HD. I know it will sound even better through the Music Man, but I'm seriously not taking that amp out; my shoulders have had enough. I was thinking of just getting a 15" speaker cab to connect to my Quilter MP-200 amp head, but the old Fender sounds amazing and is a lot cheaper. Hmmm.

And I'm really regretting not buying the Edit: It's worse than I remember. 1974 Fender Bassman 100 all tube head I passed up for $200 a while ago.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013 15:08:16

Noel wrote:

I've got it home. Also put on a Mangan .076 for the number 5 (A) string. Kudos to Paul Kugelman of Pocono Music Exchange for a very thorough and excellent setup, and going through a bunch of strings to find what really works. Everything including the bridge is stabile and works as it ought to. Pictures to follow.

Guitar is well-intonated now, very playable without buzzes anywhere. And guess what? It sounds killer through my old Stage 112SE that I traded in on the Music Man 212-130HD. I know it will sound even better through the Music Man, but I'm seriously not taking that amp out; my shoulders have had enough. I was thinking of just getting a 15" speaker cab to connect to my Quilter MP-200 amp head, but the old Fender sounds amazing and is a lot cheaper. Hmmm.

And I'm really regretting not buying the (Edit: It's worse than I remember.) 1974 Fender Bassman 100 all tube head I passed up for $200 a while ago. That would have been wonderful. Oh well!

With a limited budget, what do you recommend? Reacquiring the Stage 112SE or just getting a 15" Cab with the right speaker? Which speaker?

I just took a quick measurement of string length. The distance from tail piece to nut is approximately 34 1/2 inches on the Bass VI and roughly a half inch longer on my J-Bass.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013 16:28:31

Shouldn't you have a bass speaker for the Bass VI? I have a Sica PL15B25S super lightweight speaker just sitting here. I had it in my tone-ring cab, but swapped it out when I got a JBL D140F...HEAVY!

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-2020
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html

Matt22 wrote:

Shouldn't you have a bass speaker for the Bass VI? I have a Sica PL15B25S super lightweight speaker just sitting here. I had it in my tone-ring cab, but swapped it out when I got a JBL D140F...HEAVY!

I dunno. I really want this to sound like a guitar tuned an octave lower, not a bass. That's just how it sounds using my old Stage 112SE; it flat twangs out! Is that the amp, the guitar, the speaker, or all three together? But your point about a bass speaker is valid. I don't want to bust a guitar speaker that's not up to the bass register.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013 16:45:47

Understandable, but I'd be afraid of blowing my guitar speakers.

Matt "tha Kat" Lentz
Skippy and the Skipjacks: 2018-2020
Skippyandtheskipjacks.net
https://www.facebook.com/skippyandtheskipjacks
Otto and the Ottomans: 2014-2015
The Coconauts surf band: 2009-2014
www.theamazingcoconauts.com
Group Captain and the Mandrakes 2013
http://www.gcmband.com/
The Surfside IV: 2002-2005, 2008-2009
the Del-Vamps: 1992-1999, 2006-2007
http://www.dblcrown.com/delvamps.html