Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
272 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
266 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
227 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
160 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
160 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
146 days ago

dp: dude
127 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
82 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
67 days ago

GDW: showman
18 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink '64 Bandmaster--Gold Sparkle Grill Cloth

Page 1 of 1

Just finished my latest project: A matching 2 x 12 Speaker cab in smooth blonde tolex/gold sparkle grill cloth for my '64 Bandmaster. The cab was in pretty rough shape: lots of tears, loose tolex, holes in the grill cloth, no speakers, damaged baffle board.

I bought the head off ebay for a good price and had Blackie at Tubesville do a cap job and all new tubes. I found out it's pretty hard to find a matching speaker cab for these transition Bandy's at a decent price, so I took a chance on a pretty "rough" cab I found on craigslist for $325. This was definitely a "players" cab--both had lots of dents, dings, stains and tears, but so was the head and the tolex matched perfectly. The grill cloth on the cab was full of holes and faded to the extent it had lost a lot of the gold "sparkle." I lucked into finding some reissue gold sparkle grill cloth, and bought a new plywood baffle board from JD Newell Amps. The new grill cloth not a perfect match for the head, but the grill cloth on the speaker didn't match the head anyway. I can always swap out the original baffle if I want that vintage "war horse" look. I have enough of the new gold sparkle cloth to do a matching baffle for the head if I want a perfect match.

I loaded the cab with two 60's Magnovox Alnico's. Just Sounds great.

Now I'm torn--should I sell the '64 or sell my '62? Cap and resistor jobs on both, and the '64 sounds really nice, and has a little less "buzz" than the '62. Goober

Last edited: May 08, 2011 21:20:22

action=view&current=049.jpg

Last edited: May 08, 2011 21:22:33

That looks great! Where did you get the sparkle grill cloth?

I think you should keep both.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/mikegeibel/052.jpg

Still struggling with "how to post a pic" thing.

Sonchris: Go the gold sparkle grillcloth from Mojo Supply. They list it a "Fender Style Beige with Gold Stripe." The weave is a little different than the original and the other reissue cloths I've seen, but close enough. Here is the link:http:
//www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Grillcloth/Fender-Style-Beige-Brown-w-Gold-Stripe-Grill-Cloth-57-W

Goober

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Grillcloth/Fender-Style-Beige-Brown-w-Gold-Stripe-Grill-Cloth-57-W

maybe this will work. Goob

Nice grillcloth! It's very nice! There's oxblood with gold stripes, it's my favourite but this is awesome, too!

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

Thanks to a little RR4TI [Remedial Reading for the Technologically Impaired] courtesy of Brian, here is my final effort to post the pics of the '64 Bandy project:

The last pic shows the original speaker baffle and cloth, which I can swap out if I want the "relic" look.

Reissue gold sparkle grill cloth had been impossible to find, until I stumbled across the Mojo Supply website. The new gold sparkle grillcloth is not an exact match to the original weave, but it came in 36" x 57" length, so more than enough to cover a new head baffle if I want an exact match.

Goob

That looks nice. I still consider the '63 I bought in 65 to be the prettiest amp I've ever owned. I have enough of the old gold sparle cloth to do a head baffle and was saving it for my Showman. I think I'll check out the Mojo material. Thanks!

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Grillcloth/Fender-Style-Beige-Brown-w-Gold-Stripe-Grill-Cloth-57-W

Does it look like this close up?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011 16:32:45

Sonichris wrote "Does it look like this close up?"

Not really. I think it looks better than the catalogue photo which is zoomed in too closely. I can try to get a close up pic--or send you a small piece if you are thinking about ordering some.

The primary difference between this and original, is that this cloth has a darker brown thread all across the length of the grill cloth, whereas the original grill cloth has a lighter shade of brown thread making it look "spaced" along the length of the grill face, if that makes any sense.

It is not as "bright yellow" as other reissue gold sparkle cloth that is now discontinued [I have a small piece about 26 x 20], and from a distance looks darker or more "gold" rather than yellow. But it has a lot of sparkle and would really reflect with stage lights. The second pic above was taken with a flash on the camera.

I think it was a better match for the original cloth on the Head I have, which had not faded as much as the speaker cab. I am thinking about putting a piece behind the faded grill cloth on the old speaker baffle since, by trial and error, it makes the old grill cloth look darker and the gold sparkles show through the old cloth.

goob

If you could try to take a closer picture, that would be great!

Sonichris:
Here is a comparison of original gold sparkle to the reissue "beige with gold stripe."

Here is a comparison of original gold sparkle to the now discontinued "gold sparkle."

And here is a close up of the "beige with gold stripe"--the darker brown stripe shows up when you look close, but from a distance, you don't see it so much.

Goober

Just curious, when did the gold sparkle grill cloth first appear on a Fender amp? Which amp was it?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Page 1 of 1