Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
286 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
279 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
240 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
174 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
174 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
160 days ago

dp: dude
141 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
96 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
80 days ago

GDW: showman
31 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

33%

33%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink "new" Eminence speaker models

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I thought I'd start a thread on the newer Eminence speaker models - Patriot and Red Coat series. It is my understanding that Patriot models are based on Fender-ish speakers while Red Coat is based on Celestions, so I presume most of us around here would be mostly interested in the Patriot models (though I think I remember some people here using some Red Coat models, too).

The only model I have experience with is the Patriot Swamp Thang, and I have two of those. I used one to replace a stock Jensen in my Deluxe Reverb RI, but ultimately concluded that it's not a happy match with a DR. It sounded kinda hollow, thuddy, unresponsive and piercing. The other Swamp Thang I have is in a small extension cab and it sounds amazing coupled with either my Showman or Bandmaster. Different speakers for different amps, I guess..... It's got a huge power handling (150W), it's very loud (sensitivity of 102 db), and it's got a sound definitely on the dark side ("something, something, something, Dark Side...." :D), a perfect match if you have a very bright sounding Showman, Twin Reverb or Bandmaster. It's also got oodles of bottom end. Overall, my experience with the speaker is mixed - not a good replacement in a DR, but really great paired up with a Showman or a Bandmaster.

I'd love to hear about people's experiences with other Patriot or Red Coat models.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I've got two Texas Heats which I run with my Valco 9171A, which is a bass heavy amp. I'm really in love with those speakers. I'm very happy with the amp and I think the speakers compliment it perfectly. I've used one of the speakers with my Bassman as well to great results. Texas Heats are 150 watts as well. Sensitivity of 99db. I also agree with the dark side comment.

I've used Legends that I love as well. I've never used one with an amp I am familiar with though.

I wrote some sentences above that Dan Brown would be proud of.... yikes!

I have the Ragin' Cajun (Patriot model) 10" speakers installed in my Vibroverb reissue. I bought these speakers to increase the headroom of that amp so that it could stand up a bit better in a surf situation: Enough clean volume. These are 75watt speakers. I had read very positive reviews from players such as Jimmy Wilsey, so I decided to give them a try.

I'm very happy so far with these speakers. They have definitely given this amp a new lease on life as far as gigging goes. On a volume of 4.5-5, these speakers make this amp really sing.

These speakers have fantastic low end for 10" speakers. They are very clear and articulate without being sterile. Most players don't use 10" speakers for a surf application, but frankly, this setup sounds much better than my Showman with JBLs at the lower to mid volumes. These speakers allow the amp to compress without falling to pieces.

Both my Jazzmaster and Stratocaster sound very good through these speakers. With the Jazzmaster, the low end is very rich and all pickup combinations sound fantastic. With the Stratocaster, there is enough compression going on to really bring out the best in that guitar, which is something that I really struggle with my Showman/JBL setup. In that application, the amp has to be just cranked for my strat to come alive, which is almost impossible to do in most gigging situations.

At our gig this past weekend, Rick Johnson (Superwave, Halibuts) mentioned that when he was standing in the back of the room, he could have sworn that I was playing through a Showman. I think much of that is due to these speakers. They are an excellent choice for a surf application in 10" combo amps.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

IvanP
The only model I have experience with is the Patriot Swamp Thang, and I have two of those. I used one to replace a stock Jensen in my Deluxe Reverb RI, but ultimately concluded that it's not a happy match with a DR.

I was just reading about these speakers, and it is recommend for closed backs cabs. I'd love to know how they make a speaker that works better for closed or open back.

I've mentioned this before, but I pretty much fell ass backwards into Eminence speakers - they came in a cabinet that I bought just for the cabinet, the speakers were a bonus, and I figured I'd sell them and get some Webers.

I've got two sets of Eminence Patriots, a pair of 12" Screamin' Eagles, and a 12" pair of Cannabis Rex. Both sets are in closed back Fender cabs. Both sets sound great, I can't decide which I like better, and I don't know that I want to decide. The Screamin' Eagles have more treble, but still plenty of low end. The Cannabis Rex have more bass, and less treble, but not much.

I hooked both up to the same Bandmaster amp using an "AB" switch, and I can hear differences, but they both sound great to me. The sound I've been looking for.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Each person that has chimed in has mentioned the low end. To me that is the selling point of these speakers. I'm hearing frequencies that I wouldn't hear with other speakers, and they are clear. It is really fantastic how much my tone has opened up.

It seems pretty unanimous that everybody loves their Eminence Patriot speakers, no matter what model. Many of you also used various Weber speakers - do you all agree that the Eminences are better than the Webers you've used?

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I have a Weber California Ceramic in my Showman. I just do not love it. I haven't tried an Eminence in it, but I would love to get a 15" Eminence in there.

IvanP
It seems pretty unanimous that everybody loves their Eminence Patriot speakers, no matter what model. Many of you also used various Weber speakers - do you all agree that the Eminences are better than the Webers you've used?

I would say that for my tastes and based on the models I have owned, yes. On the Weber side, I have used the California and 12F150T models. On the Eminence side, I own the Ragin' Cajun and the Legend 1258 (though I've only used these very minimally.)

I find that Eminence speakers are (generally, not in all cases) warmer, and less shrill. They also don't take nearly as long to break in as Webers do (do Webers ever break in!?). I know there are a lot of people who absolutely love Weber speakers, so all this stuff is pretty subjective. I also find Weber speakers a bit overpriced.

I'm still a big fan of JBL speakers and am convinced that there is no new speaker in production that can come close to that sound. But for all other applications, I'd probably just go with one of the many Eminence models.

Ryan

I used 2 12" California alnico in my Dual Pro, and in retrospect I don't think they sounded all that good. I listen to the recordings we made while I was using those speakers, and my guitar sound is kinda piercing and a bit on the thin side. But then, it could have been the amp. Or maybe it just wasn't a good match between amp and speakers given my playing style. So many variables....

On the other hand, I have Weber Blue Dog alnicos (replicas of the famous Celestion Blue speakers) in a Vox AC30 reissue that my dad has been playing, and those speakers sound very good.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP
I used 2 12" California alnico in my Dual Pro, and in retrospect I don't think they sounded all that good. I listen to the recordings we made while I was using those speakers, and my guitar sound is kinda piercing and a bit on the thin side. But then, it could have been the amp. Or maybe it just wasn't a good match between amp and speakers given my playing style. So many variables....

Ivan, my experience with the California speaker is the same. Mine were muddy, sounded muffled, and need to be played through an amp on the verge of explosion before they sounded otherwise. Mine were also incredibly piercing. The aluminum dome on those speakers is overwhelming.

Ryan

What's about the Eminence Commonwealth 15? They are also from the Patriot Series. Do you have any experience? I think Dario build them in his 15" Cabs.

http://www.reverbnation.com/bangmustang
http://www.facebook.com/bangmustang
https://soundcloud.com/bang-mustang

Ruhar

IvanP

Ivan, my experience with the California speaker is the same. Mine were muddy, sounded muffled, and need to be played through an amp on the verge of explosion before they sounded otherwise. Mine were also incredibly piercing. The aluminum dome on those speakers is overwhelming.

I agree - I had a Weber 15" Cali Ceramic for a while, and it was muffled - sounded like a blanket was over it.

I have a Weber 12F150 in a '66 Princeton Reverb that sounds great - but I don't play much real surf with it.

I've owned several (3) D130F speakers, only one was an original cone, and it was the only one that sounded good to me. I had it re-coned when it went bad, and it came back as a different speaker, not as nice as it was. Sold them all.

Ivan, speaking of JBL's, how did you think you sounded at the HB Pier show in Aug, '08? I don't know if those were original cone D130F's or not. The video sounds great, I think. What speakers do you have in your Surfer?

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris
Ivan, speaking of JBL's, how did you think you sounded at the HB Pier show in Aug, '08?

I LOVED that sound! I was extremely happy with it - and I completely agree that it sounds great in the videos, too.

I don't know if those were original cone D130F's or not.

I don't either, but my guess is they're original cones.

What speakers do you have in your Surfer?

Reconed D130Fs. One was from my Showman, but it wasn't sounding right anymore so I reconed it and used it for the Surfer (the single Showman now gets a fantastic sounding - though also reconed - EV SRO15, which can handle the Showman's power on its own a lot easier than a JBL). I bought the other D130F for my Surfer on eBay, with the original cone, but it turned out it was also busted and needed to be reconed. Weber reconed both of them. At the moment they sound really good to my ears, but it usually takes me some time to really figure out what's going on with the sound of my speakers, and I just haven't had a chance to use the Surfer enough yet.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I am using Eminence Copperheads both in my Princeton Reverb and in my VRRI. Great 10 inch speaker. I am surprised that I do not hear about more people using them.

Great into guys!
I just bought 2 MusicMan amps-a One-Thirty head and a Sixty-five 212 combo. The Sixty five has one original 8 ohm MM speaker and one 12" Altec Lansing 8 ohm. I was thinking of putting in a pair of old, 16 ohm Celestion Vintage 30's, but the Eminence's sound like the ticket.
My 1 X 15 Showman Tone Ring cab came with a 15" Eminence Legend which I thought sounded terrible. When I pulled the back off to install a JBL E-140, I found the Legend was not intalled properly on the tone ring, so it may have been OK.
I am also considering switching chassis to create a One-thirty 212 combo. Will the V-30's handle that much power? They're supposed to be rated at 65w each.
I'm also a big EV fan, but prefer the EVM series.

I had a Carr Mercury amp with the Eminence Red White & Blues 12 inch speaker. I sold the amp because it was really more geared for distortion. However, the RWB speaker was very nice, with a good bottom end, highs that were not shrill, and a full round tone. I wouldn't mind having that speaker again in a different amp.

Paul

Paul

Chassis switch didn't work-they're different widths; BUT, I put the V-30's in the Sixty-five, and WOW! I think it's the best-sounding amp in that series that I have owned-and I've owned lots of 'em. My tech is giving it a tune-up and maybe new tubes. I can't wait to get it back. The One-Thirty head can go back to being my Showman's back-up.

Nice thread! Eminence are cheap and really great speakers!

Always wanted to try Eminence 15" Big Ben... anyone got any experience?

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

An Eminence "Legend" 1518 15" just popped up on Craigslist, and it' on the way home. I think I'll grab it and give it another chance.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next