Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
281 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
274 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
235 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
168 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
168 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
155 days ago

dp: dude
136 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
91 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
75 days ago

GDW: showman
26 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink How did you come up with your band name?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

My girlfriend suggested it. The name comes from Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic. I googled "Jaguar Sharks" as a band name and found a few musicians using it out there. Our drummer suggested they are all imposters, while we are "Thee" Jaguar Sharks. That stuck & so here we are.

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009 16:43:46

I've never played in a real surf band, but if I had, I would have named it Basura del Mar (loosely translated as Garbage of the Sea). I also like James Bond movies and live in the South, so I might have gone with Octopossum.

Octopossum! I love it!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I heard a discussion on the Art Bell program one night several years ago regarding the Superwave Theory by Paul Violette. I fell asleep before I really figured out what it means, but I liked the name. Details can be found here:
http://www.etheric.com/LaViolette/Predict.html

Also, about that time the tsunami in Indonesia had just occurred and NOAA developed a warning sign for low lying areas near the beach. The signs can be seen at places along the So. Cal coast. I think most of them have been stolen by now....not by me though.
Tsunami=Superwave

It was either going to be that or "The Axes of Evil".

We were going to be called "Weep Hole" then it was to be "Sexxxy Mustards" or "Chinchilla Uvula". But nobody else really liked my suggestions. In the end we swiped our name from a show called Surfside 6.

SSIV

El Papu & los Fantasticos Reverberantes

Well forgive us, for we are not a Surf Band although we do play some Surf Tunes (i.e: Hawaii 5-0) and others from our 60s set.
We actually play songs from the 60s through the 90s of Vintage and Classic Rock...............
We started in '04 playing Classic and some modern Country (new Southern Rock?). BUT, when we tried to abbreviate it, Classic and Country Rock, it came out CCR Shocked Well that wasn't gonna happen. I myself, belong to the www.Florida3s.com, a car group of 367 member enthusiasts made up of Mitsubishi 3000 GTs and Dodge Stealths, hence the 3S.com. Well, one of the members of the car club (also a musician :mrgreen:) knew we were having troubles coming up with a name. Then one day, he PM'd me and told us we should name the band after your model car "VR-4." And totally confused, I asked him, why in the Hell would we name the Group "VR-4?!?"....and he casually said "Well, you have 4 members in the group, right? The "VR-" would represent 'Vintage Rock' plus 4 members= "VR-4.""
So....the name stuck and that was it Rolling Eyes ....................

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

In my previous band, we were all sitting around in the garage after about our 3rd or 4th practice trying to think of a name, staring at the vintage photo and poster covered walls. This particular Elvis promo photo caught my eye -
I made a comment on what a goofy picture it was, and our drummer said, "What's the King thinking, everyone knows Elvis can't surf!" and that was it.
That picture became our logo on our t-shirts and flyers, and was used in the cover art when we made our CD.

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

I guess I wanted to start a surf band that had a mix of these two asthetics:
Secret Chiefs 3
Akira Kurosawa

and supervised by:
Ennio Morricone

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I don't remember how I can came up with the Phantomatics!.
I just remember whenever I'd think of a new name, I'd always come back to the Phantom...

Another name we liked was The Gore-tones.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3