PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
189 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
168 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
136 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
130 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
91 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
24 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
24 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

52%

52%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD 1963 Jazzmaster

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Thought Id share this pretty special new guitar day.

I good guitarist/luthier friend of mine living in Hamilton NZ got in touch a while back as he was wanting to thin down his collection a little and offered me an opportunity to become the next custodian of this great JM.

He picked it up form an estate sale in a small town on the south west coast of New Zelaands north island. Apparently it was a one owner instrument and was one of the few JMs actually imported and purchased new in NZ. The guitar led a busy gigging life in the lower north island and was located in Whanganui when my friend came to purchase it.

Other than refretting it and the presence of a very old ( I think also 60s ) jaguar bridge it is fully original.

The trem is fantastic as is the feel of the patna and the neck. But what shines most for me are the pickus, in particular the neck. Its so percussive yet musical. Its really a joy. I feel this is a good example of how magnets/wire can alter over time in a pleasing way.

Hopefully these images upload succesfully. I have a short clip I made of it late last night (please excuse the bumbling...)

Youtube link. Short video of some sounds from the 63' JM

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024 12:33:02

He did a wonderful jon on teh refret. The rose wood and dots are noteworthy too.

Big congrats. Looks like it's ready for another 61 years.

That's a dream guitar.

Congratulations.

That's awesome, what a gorgeous BEAST! So cool that those guitars made it over and have that history!

This ape lived on the north island for a hair (New Plymouth) and took his first guitar lessons as a young chimp from an Accordion Player there (of all things).

Bango Rilla!

DiPintos, Fenders and Reverb (oh, my!)

The GO-GO Rillas
Bandcamp | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | TikTok | Threads: thegogorillas

Bango_Rilla wrote:

That's awesome, what a gorgeous BEAST! So cool that those guitars made it over and have that history!

This ape lived on the north island for a hair (New Plymouth) and took his first guitar lessons as a young chimp from an Accordion Player there (of all things).

whoa !!! No way
Rad …. I follow you dudes on IG by the way Smile love the schtick

well they say if you want to play guitar start with piano accordion ….

SandBug wrote:

That's a dream guitar.

Congratulations.

Thanks
I’m very lucky to have the chance to grab it. Stars lining up etc etc

Surfadelphia wrote:

Big congrats. Looks like it's ready for another 61 years.

Thanks
It’s amazing when you really think about the age of these instruments , and thst it’s been played heavily its whole life. Not many consumer goods produced today that will be featured on a forum in 61 yrs time I’d say ?!

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing you play it through your Tremolux amp.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing you play it through your Tremolux amp.

Hopefully this link works Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofyEVKrgs4&t=3s&ab_channel=AnthonyCarrie

I dont gig with the tremolux but we have four shows over two days this weekend at beach hop 2024 and Im packing the 1999 shell pink AVRI JM with jesss louriero telemaster bridge pckip abd the 63 JM. Both will be going through my blonde bassman rig.

Here is the bassmamn btw
https://youtu.be/wp8o9OmIid4?si=u3-LkbP5N0HNPPJT

Congrats! Beautiful '63 Jazzmaster and sounds fantastic through the Tremolux!

My wife and I are fans of The Brokenwood Mysteries (based in NZ) that we watch on Amazon Prime. Beautiful country - hope we can visit some day. Cool

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Surfysonic wrote:

My wife and I are fans of The Brokenwood Mysteries (based in NZ) that we watch on Amazon Prime. Beautiful country - hope we can visit some day. Cool

Cool :
The town thats set in Is an hour south of Where I live and the police station is the old post office in Hellensville out west near where my folks live.
If you make it down then come have a play on the JM/tremolux !

Pihabeach82 wrote:

Surfysonic wrote:

Cool :
The town thats set in Is an hour south of Where I live and the police station is the old post office in Hellensville out west near where my folks live.
If you make it down then come have a play on the JM/tremolux !

Very cool! That would be awesome! Smile

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Pihabeach82 wrote:

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hopefully this link works Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofyEVKrgs4&t=3s&ab_channel=AnthonyCarrie

That was lovely, both the tone and your playing.

Thee Original Beachniks...surf music from the caves of old Cape Cod!

Love a guitar with a cool story!

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next