PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
194 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
173 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
141 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
135 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
29 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
29 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
15 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Ventures in Space

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

bigtikidude wrote:

shivers13 wrote:

JONPAUL wrote:

Who the Hell would do that?

His initials are B...T...D

Haha. We gotta get him to lighten up! Smile

I don't slag the Ventures.
I just say that they are not a surf band,
Because they say they are not a surf band.
I played Diamondhead on my last NSSR show.

I would argue that they are not entirely a surf band. but they certainly have albums and albums worth of surf material and have a lot to do with the wave (ha) of surf music.

I hate finely categorized subgenres anyway. It's all rock n' roll to me.

https://soundcloud.com/mantisrex
Youtube
Download my rock cover of Diamond Head

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014 16:20:50

Shivers13,
Thanks for posting the link for the info on the T bucket. Always thought that car was cool. I was so disappointed though the first time I rode in one. I'm 6'4" and 230. Tight fit!

Nokie wrote:

The album that followed, "The Fabulous Ventures" had a few tracks that were left over from the "In Space" sessions. They were not throw-aways. The tunes include "Eleventh Hour", "Ravin' Blue", "Walkin' With Pluto". The a fore mentioned "Journey to the Stars" is also on Fabulous Ventures but it's hard to believe a track that good was held from In Space for the next album.

Interestingly enough "Journey..." is introduced on "Live in Japan '65" as "Another one from our Ventures in Space album." Hmmm

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

When I saw Nokie live a couple of years ago, he introduced Journey to the Stars as, "from our "In Space" album". It must be the way they think about it.

simoncoil wrote:

Interestingly enough "Journey..." is introduced on "Live in Japan '65" as "Another one from our Ventures in Space album." Hmmm

I never noticed that before. I think it's an understandable mistake owing to the title of the song. The '65 Japan concert would have occurred a year and a half after "In Space" was released. The Ventures had a good three or four more albums out by the time of the concert. However, it still could have been in the batch of tunes they recorded during the "In Space" sessions. I still find it hard to believe they would have held the tune but maybe it was a strategic "save some of the good stuff for the next album" type decision.

"Hello Girls!"

Nokie wrote:

However, it still could have been in the batch of tunes they recorded during the "In Space" sessions. I still find it hard to believe they would have held the tune but maybe it was a strategic "save some of the good stuff for the next album" type decision.

I do seem to remember reading in some interview that "Journey..." was indeed recorded at the same time as the rest of the "In Space" album, but they decided it would make a great single so they decided not to put it on there. It does seem weird, and I don't know if my memory can be trusted on this entirely, but there you go. I was hoping that Marty would know for sure!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Something else interesting about "In Space" is that it came out in January of '63 - very shortly before The Beatles appeared on Ed Sillystone. It was a radical change in The Ventures sound - a re-invention made at just the right time. The Ventures continued to sell very well with many of their LP's charting in the top 50 through the rest of the '60's. That was no small feat for an instrumental band.

"Hello Girls!"

IvanP wrote:

Nokie wrote:

However, it still could have been in the batch of tunes they recorded during the "In Space" sessions. I still find it hard to believe they would have held the tune but maybe it was a strategic "save some of the good stuff for the next album" type decision.

I do seem to remember reading in some interview that "Journey..." was indeed recorded at the same time as the rest of the "In Space" album, but they decided it would make a great single so they decided not to put it on there. It does seem weird, and I don't know if my memory can be trusted on this entirely, but there you go. I was hoping that Marty would know for sure!

I certainly should have known that, Ivan. It sounds like a familiar story to me as well. I'll have to check Del Halterman's book. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Aha! I just checked the liner notes of the "Walk-Don't Run: the Best of the Ventures" (EMI Legendary Masters Series) CD, and here's what it says:

Bob Bogle: "We really liked that song once we wrote it. It was recorded for the 'Space' album (hence the title) but we didn't put it on the album. We thought it was good enough to hold for a single. That's what I think happened."

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

MantisRex_ wrote:

Can anyone point me in the direction of more of this stuff? Many of the surf bands copied each other so I was wondering if there was some other 60's space-surf album out that I'm not aware of?

Maybe not a full album, but there's a decent amount of individual songs from bands in that vein - check out the space-themed episode of the SG101 podcast for a good mix of '60s and modern songs: http://surfguitar101.com/podcast/7/

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Epic album by all accounts. Amazingly, I had never listened to it from start to finish until I had to learn "He Never Came Back". Jumping into the lovefest, here's a little clip from the way-back machine.

-murph

http://www.reverbnation.com/elmiragesurf
http://www.reverbnation.com/aminorconspiracy

"I knew I was in trouble when the Coco-Loco tasted like water!" -- morphball

JohnnyMosrite wrote:

Mantis,
That album was my personal "kick in the ass" to learn guitar and save my pennies for my first Mosrite guitar. It is the only album I can say I know lead guitar to every tune. "Love Godeess" (is that hoakey?) was actually an instrumental version of a vocal tune called "Donna" written by Don Wilson.

J Mo'

Johnny - I think you have Ritchie Valens on your mind.
The Don Wilson's original vocal version of Love Goddess wasn't "Donna", it was "Sally".

And... you can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOk4LD9j88

If you want to hear another early Ventures vocal, here's "Coke and Cookies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNidtaC4pQ (a far cry from In Space).

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Last edited: Jan 03, 2015 22:55:23

Here's a fun fact. Per the book, "Walk Don't Run - The Story Of The Ventures", "He Never Came Back", was originally titled, "Monster Monkey".

And on that note, I'd like to contribute my rendition of the tune: http://www.jeffreyleites.com/Tunes01Audio/HeNeverCameBack.mp3
(With bass and drums tracks lifted from a Johnny Walker midi file).

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Just listened to this for the first time today.

Wow!

Aware of a couple of the songs in isolation, but I wasn't ready for the full on Sci-Fi onslaught! There's so much going on in each tune.
Some of the deceptively pretty songs have little tinkly space dust flitting around in the background.

Nokie's guitar in Exploration in Terror sounds very "Eleki". How do they do that? And what's all that echoey breathing in the background?

I'm hooked.

Clarry wrote:

Just listened to this for the first time today.

Wow!

Indeed!!

Nokie's guitar in Exploration in Terror sounds very "Eleki".

Well, this is where Eleki comes from!!! This is Ground Zero. Eleki was Japanese guys copying Nokie's '64-'65 style.

How do they do that?

Mosrite Ventures Model guitar with thin strings into a fairly cranked small amp, giving a fair amount of overdrive, possibly with a bit of Mosrite Fuzzrite mixed in, and a bit of reverb, too. Oh, and that particular technique of Nokie's, half-country, half-rock, with a lot of bending and ornamentation around each note.

And what's all that echoey breathing in the background?

I think a china cymbal.

I'm hooked.

Continue your exploration (in terror!) with The Fabulous Ventures, Walk Don't Run '64 and The Ventures A Go-Go. Dig it!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thanks, Ivan.

I think I've got the A-Go-Go on vinyl and never bothered having a listen for one reason or another. Absolutely no idea. I'll check when I get home.

Thumbs Up Enjoy! I really love that album, though there is definitely some filler, too. But "Go Go Dancer"!!! Wow!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

It's been a part of my life for a long, long time. I'm fairly certain that my family had a copy at the time. I know for a fact that we had The Ventures Play Telstar. I rarely stop to think about it, but they were a major influence.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3