Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
218 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
218 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
138 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink 2014 East Coast Ventures Fan Fest - Sat, Oct 4 - Philadelphia, PA

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

A fun-filled day of seeing old friends, making new friends, and playing (mostly) Ventures music.

Here's the link to the Facebook page.

Here's almost all the gang from last year. There's a few sg101'ers in this picture.

The day's jammers are listed here, but I have some openings for 12-string guitar, lead guitar, and bass on a few beach Boys songs if you're interested. But if you see a song you know, just ask to play along. The more the merrier.

Let me know here if you're interested in playing or just attending, and I'll get back to you with the details. Lunch and dinner are included.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

A couple of the Beach Boys songs need a player to fill out the instruments. We really need a second bass player on Good Vibrations, and a rhythm guitarist would also help. We also need a bassist for Surfer Girl.

I should mention there's no singing. We're playing everything as instrumentals, as The Ventures covered "409".

For those who are not Facebook members, is there anywhere on-line to get more info./ date / location, etc.?

give me 3-fingers of 1st Wave SURF

That sounds like a great day. I wish that I didn't have to work every Saturday. Uggghhh!

dirkkahuna wrote:

For those who are not Facebook members, is there anywhere on-line to get more info./ date / location, etc.?

Yes, I'll add more information here and create a calendar entry soon. But this should help for now.

I should add this takes place in a rented hall, with lunch, a free non-alcoholic bar (extremely reasonable prices for alcoholic beverages) and sit-down dinner all included. As you might imagine, the cost of providing all this is considerable. The $50.00 admission hardly covers Tom's expenses, if that.

There are always several auctions of Venturesania. My favorite is the silent auction for rare Ventures records. You aren't likely to find these records in unopened or like new condition for anything close to the winning bids anywhere else.

The event is completely family friendly and all-ages. Even if you don't bring an instrument, someone is probably going to ask you to join in and play something. That's what happened to me.

Located minutes off US 95, not far from Philadelphia International airport.

And a very late thank you for reminding me.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014 13:17:54

Noel wrote:

A couple of the Beach Boys songs need a player to fill out the instruments. We really need a second bass player on Good Vibrations, and a rhythm guitarist would also help. We also need a bassist for Surfer Girl.

Bump.

Thirty days to go! Surfer Girl still needs a bassist and Good Vibrations would benefit from a second bassist.

More information available here. Please let me know if you have any trouble reading this link.

Last edited: Sep 04, 2014 12:35:49

Dinner Menu for the event finalized: baked rigatoni w/ meatballs, roast beef & gravy, chicken marsala, baked ham, potato salad, tossed salad, vanilla chocolate sheet cake & coffee.

Very pleased to announce that we've found another bassist. He'll play Surfer Girl and Good Vibrations, which now has the two bassists it really should. If you check this link, you can see everyone who's playing.

I'd like to introduce everyone who's playing in in this set. I owe them all a lot of thanks for making this possible. Everyone thought it sounded like a lot of fun, and they all happily agreed to be part of it. Several are members of sg101, and it's possible some of you may know a few of the others.

Tom Baltaef,
Steve Chestnut,
John Drysdale,
Grant Green,
Jeff Green.
Carl Hubler,
Bob Kenney,
Forrest Kulwin,
John Magee,
John Ramski,
Noel Squitieri,
Byron Tietjen

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014 14:26:28

Noel, did you seriously post the dishes included on the dinner menu? I think it may be time to step away from the computer for awhile, man.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

Noel, did you seriously post the dishes included on the dinner menu? I think it may be time to step away from the computer for awhile, man.

LMAO

JONPAUL wrote:

ROTFL Yes I did! I was hoping the promise of good food might prompt a few more people to come. Big Grin We did get the other bass player, but not from that post, though.

But you're right, Jonpaul. I have to practice my bass again.

I've seen the videos my son recorded last night of most of the Beach Boys set. (The battery ran out before the end. Cry ) I'll post them as soon I've edited them into individual songs.

It was my great pleasure to meet long-time fellow sg101 member Roger (Roger Underwood) who now plays killer guitar in Bongo Straits, who played a terrific set.

I hope Roger adds his own observations about last night.

Looking forward to your videos Noel.
Did you have fun and how did Good Vibrations Go?

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

This is the first song and it includes a dedication to Bob Spalding, without whose support at last year's event this effort would not have taken on a life of its own. The cast for every song is listed above. My son didn't record three songs due to rapidly decreasing battery life.

I'm editing them for time. But my editor is causing me problems under Windows 8.1. Let me know if you can't view them. And, I have no idea why the video quality is so poor, even if you click the HD button, and you should. The official recordings, which were recorded with much better gear and (I think) will be two-camera videos, will replace these as soon as I get my copy of the DVDs.

Surfin' Safari

Last edited: Oct 06, 2014 13:15:27

Little Deuce Coupe

Last edited: Oct 06, 2014 13:15:59

Noel, Great to finally meet you in person! Had a great time at the Fan Fest. The Beach Boys set was a nice Surprise. Some of those tunes really
translate well to Instrumentals. Everyone did a great job, some of those tunes are pretty tuff to pull off, like good Vibrations. You guys did it.

Nice to see, and play with a group of people that have a real appreciation
for Surf, Instrumental, Rock and Roll. What ever you want to call it.

I'll be hitting the books, and re learning "Don't Worry Baby"
and "Ginchy" The Colonel did a great Job with that one.

Hope to see you next year.

RU

Roger&The Wraybands

Hey Noel,

Great job on the Beach Boys stuff. It is cool to see a band doing instrumental versions of these songs. I was especially interested in your version of "Little Deuce Coupe". The band that I'm in does it and it is always fun to play.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next