Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Videos from the sensazionale Surfer Joe Summer Festival 2014!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

simoncoil wrote:

I think it's a bit scary how close the "Surfites" come to the sound of the studio versions, considering that there are no musicians from the studio line up present (or am I wrong in that?). I think Klas has a very distinctive sound: especially when he hits those higher notes he sounds much "sweeter" than other surf guitarists while keeping a lot of punch on the lower strings. Being able to replicate that is just amazing!

Thanks for the videos, Ralph!

NO Simon, you don't get it right as you were not there.
I say something here Klas might not like but I got to be honest: the rendition of the Surfites we had the pleasure to see was MUCH BETTER IN ANY WAY than the studio recordings. I say this also to push the guys to come out LIVE-LIVE-LIVE. French musicians have always been excellent, everybody know this. The French school is the best, remember the 60s, the beat, yeye music, the JAZZ. French school applied to surf is EXPLOSIVE.

The catched any single aspect of Surfites music, the tone, the sound, the accents and the groove multiplied by 10 by the Agamemnonz drummer (sorry I never remember your name).

I am so stoked of those guys.
Anticipating my own complete review of the festival I give you here my totally partial opinion. The Surfites might have been the BEST band of the SJSF2014 - of course from a traditional point of view. Simply stunningly amazing. The concert was just perfect.
We all know how good Slacktone are and I think Dusty was in his best shape doing probably the best concert I have seen in Italy so far. All other bands have been great, but probably the Surfites thing was unknown - an experiment - we were all blown away.

So trad surf is not dead uh?!?!?!

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Wow ! Thanks to you all uloading Videos, reviewing and share some moments of this with all the poor guys, who haven't been there !

It seems like Lorenzo did a fantastic job again !!! And me another year not attending aaaaaaarghghh Sigh . Cant wait to see more of the surfites, Pahantom Four, El Ray... etc. etc...

@ Ralf - Hey ! don't hold back further surfites vids ;) !
I 'm also exited to read / see more reviews &&&& Smile

forgot to mention NSSR... Wink

surferjoemusic wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

I think it's a bit scary how close the "Surfites" come to the sound of the studio versions, considering that there are no musicians from the studio line up present (or am I wrong in that?). I think Klas has a very distinctive sound: especially when he hits those higher notes he sounds much "sweeter" than other surf guitarists while keeping a lot of punch on the lower strings. Being able to replicate that is just amazing!

Thanks for the videos, Ralph!

NO Simon, you don't get it right as you were not there.
I say something here Klas might not like but I got to be honest: the rendition of the Surfites we had the pleasure to see was MUCH BETTER IN ANY WAY than the studio recordings. I say this also to push the guys to come out LIVE-LIVE-LIVE. French musicians have always been excellent, everybody know this. The French school is the best, remember the 60s, the beat, yeye music, the JAZZ. French school applied to surf is EXPLOSIVE.

The catched any single aspect of Surfites music, the tone, the sound, the accents and the groove multiplied by 10 by the Agamemnonz drummer (sorry I never remember your name).

I am so stoked of those guys.
Anticipating my own complete review of the festival I give you here my totally partial opinion. The Surfites might have been the BEST band of the SJSF2014 - of course from a traditional point of view. Simply stunningly amazing. The concert was just perfect.
We all know how good Slacktone are and I think Dusty was in his best shape doing probably the best concert I have seen in Italy so far. All other bands have been great, but probably the Surfites thing was unknown - an experiment - we were all blown away.

So trad surf is not dead uh?!?!?!

They were incredible sounding! Sorry, was not familiar with them.... But, they stopped me in my tracks. What they were doing was very musical... A lot of depth, but still playful, with a skill level that was very strong.

Really great, thanks Lorenzo for inviting them!

-dave

The Surfites: "This time tomorrow"

EACH song of The Surfites is such a MIGHTY surf classic!!!

Who can resist???

Thanks to Lorenzo and Klaas and the french crazies from Les Arondes and Les Agamemnonz for let this come reality!!!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014 05:01:10

Hi guys,
I just want to share with you all my videos from the Surfer Joe Summer Festival 2014. You can find at least one video per band.
I just want to thank Lorenzo for a perfect organization of the event, and for bring those big bands to the festival. Enjoy!:
youtube channel

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014 07:54:48

arny wrote:

Maybe something to show us why a fuzz sounds good in surf, I'm already convinced, but need bystanders! So please a Surfites song with lot's of fuzz!

Luckily an other guy did a video from a song with fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

That's what I was looking for! Thanx Ralf!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

As a big Surfites fan, this is really cool. It proves how well these compositions stand up to live playing. Very nice to hear Dave's positive take, and Lorenzo, you are right...even through my speakers more energy and excitement is generated through these live versions! I think this was a great idea and I think Surfites covers should make their way into other band's repertoires. They are traditional while still being original, and have a sound all their own. A pretty amazing feat. I think of this as a "vindication" of Klas and brother's compositions and musical relevance among today's modern surf music.

I think the oooooompf of a live band
Really helped these songs.
I've always been a fan of the songwriting.
But sometimes felt like they were played too lightly.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Jul 01, 2014 21:55:57

The Phantom Four!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Such a cool grove.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Here's a great video of the fantastic El Ray!

El Ray--what a band.

THREESOME is awesome! Definitely my kind of surf band. I love a three piece lineup....it lets the music breathe and gives the individual instruments their own sonic space. Add in that punk rock intensity and stage presence...ENERGY! I love it and hope to see them live someday. =)

Another three piece with punk edge...and singing, sorry about that Smile

THE RAZORBLADES - I Wanna Be On The Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0RZwXstc9Y

Almost 20 min. of Phantom Four

skatexedge wrote:

THREESOME is awesome! Definitely my kind of surf band. I love a three piece lineup....it lets the music breathe and gives the individual instruments their own sonic space. Add in that punk rock intensity and stage presence...ENERGY! I love it and hope to see them live someday. =)

I hope you will come and see them at the SG101
Convention in Aug.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

These videos are great.
Thanks to all for sharing.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Phantom Frank just exudes musicality...the ideas just seem to flow from his soul. I love watching as well as hearing him play. Of course the whole band too...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next