Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Modding my VM Jazzmaster

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6

If the height adjustment screws were digging into your hand, you had a really bad setup. So, the bridge made a huge difference. I'm a big fan of the original bridge design and am a complete apologist for the bridge, but the one place where it fails is there is too much space to rock.

Only the low E stuck out just enough to know it's there. And I only have myself to blame for any bad setup. I really think ease of setup made the biggest difference. I'm not going to start any of that extra mass of the bridge helps the body resonate more junk. It's made well, works similar to the original design, no string jumping, and easier to adjust.
I also need to pick on you Jake about your comment about being a fan of the original design. Mastery Man! ROTFL

I only recently went all Mastery! The vintage ones I've had never really had any problems(save for the bridge posts having too much space). The reissues I've all had have been not particularly great. Fender made the mistake of plating the saddles on the reissues, which led to serious tolerance issues.

But the Mastery... Not worth the cost, honestly. But having the bridge not move around makes a huge difference. Either because the bridge posts fitting snuggly with the body or the saddle material, there is just a little more resonance. Just a strong more solid tone, but the same timbre of a Jag/Jazz bridge.

I will also say, I don't buy into Mass = more tone. After roller bridges, my least favorite bridges are bar bridges and mustang bridges. Just way too much mass and it kills the tone(I think that is what is happening). With the original design and the mastery, also note at where the saddles make contact with the bridge plate. The saddle screws transfer all of the tone, instead of the saddles sitting directly on the plate(which sounds terrible when you do so with the stock Jag/Jazz bridge.

Reviving a pretty old thread to see if anyone can identify the brand of mint green pickguard surf skater used in that pic (or if surf skater himself could help me out supposing he's still around).

There seem to be a few different shades of mint green pickguard available, most have a slight blueish hue to them but surf skater's is more of a pale tannish green. I love it and want to put one on my white road worn 60s JM. Add an amber switch tip and I'm good to go.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys

Hey Cheeg, Welcome to the site. The pick guard was from a random ebay seller. The first one I put on didn't fit right and I wasn't happy with the color. So I ended up getting another off eBay that fit better and it still wasn't the shade of green I was hoping for.
Unfortunately the pictures online are deceptive as to what it will look like in person.
If you are only replacing the pick guard make sure you get one for a vintage modified. The rythm circuit spacing is different than American Standard.

Surf_Skater wrote:

Hey Cheeg, Welcome to the site. The pick guard was from a random ebay seller. The first one I put on didn't fit right and I wasn't happy with the color. So I ended up getting another off eBay that fit better and it still wasn't the shade of green I was hoping for.
Unfortunately the pictures online are deceptive as to what it will look like in person.
If you are only replacing the pick guard make sure you get one for a vintage modified. The rythm circuit spacing is different than American Standard.

Thanks for the response. Do you remember which eBay seller you got it from? Do you think that pic on the last page accurately represents it or is it just a certain lighting in the photo that gives it the pale tan-green effect? Hopefully I can get to a shop that sells a bunch of mint pickguards so I can pick one out in person but I'm not optimistic that this particular shade of green will be there.

Here's the address from the shipping label. Hope this is of some help.

If you end up finding one that has that vintage green look I'd be happy to trade.

Thanks buddy. I'll let you know if I can find something.

JakeDobner wrote:

If the height adjustment screws were digging into your hand, you had a really bad setup. So, the bridge made a huge difference. I'm a big fan of the original bridge design and am a complete apologist for the bridge, but the one place where it fails is there is too much space to rock.

We need those off-set thimbles to incorporate 3D printable programmable magnets. New magnetic technology which is programmed to attract and repel at the same time, both north and south together. See Here

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6