Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
219 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
219 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
139 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » North Sea Surf Radio »

Permalink Surf Revival Top 101 - 2013 edition (old thread)

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next

Classic Surf Top 101 & Surf Revival Top 101 @ North Sea Surf Radio

Vote for your all time favourite instrumental surf music tracks!

On December 27th North Sea Surf Radio will be broadcasting the best 202 surf music tracks according to the listeners of North Sea Surf Radio and the members of the SurfGuitar 101 forum.

Do you want to contribute your personal favourites to these lists and help decide what the best instrumental surf music tracks of all time are?

Post your Surf Revival Top 10 in this thread and your Classic Surf Music Top 10 over HERE.
If you would like your Top 10´s to stay secret you can also send us an email containing both lists at TOP101@northseasurfradio.com. The deadline for your contributions is Friday 13th December.

Name:
1. Artist - "Title"

Please note:
- Instrumentals only, songs are not allowed.
- Your 60´s track belong in the Classic Surf Top 101. All other tracks belong in this thread.
- Tracks in your Surf Revival Top 10 have to be at least one year old! Tracks released in 2013 are excluded from the Surf Revival Top 101.
- The order of the tracks does matter, your number 1 will receive the most points in the Top 101, your number 10 will receive the least points.

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014 11:53:00

Cool idea

Jeff(bigtikidude)

1. The Surf Coasters - "Intruder"
  2. Satan's Pilgrims - "Creature Feature"
  3. The Beat Tornados - "Nokken Rising"
  4. Slacktone - "The Bells of St. Kahuna"
  5. The Madeira - "Sandstorm"
  6. Frankie & The Pool Boys - "Ewa on the Beach"
  7. The Huntington Cads - "Mr. Midnight"
  8. The Space Agency - "Hawaiian Surf Ride"
  9. The Thunderchiefs - "Drag-N-Fly"
  10. The Bomboras - "Return of the Death Ray"

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Nice (and very interesting) choices Warren. I have a feeling these lists will finally generate some good discussion on here. (I hope).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I have a feeling these lists will finally generate some good discussion on here. (I hope).

I hope so too. If there's two threads that every member here should post in, it's this and the other North Sea Surf Radio top 101 thread.

Sure it's hard really hard really really ridiculously hard to narrow each one down to ten choices, but let's be brutally honest: if you can't come up with a list of your ten favorite classic surf songs and your ten favorite non-first-wave surf songs then why are you posting on a surf music forum .

Brian should lock the Gear Forum until everyone's voted on this. I'm not kidding.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Well, I couldn't cut it down to 10 - so, in honor of Halloween, here's my top 13, leaving out way too many great, great songs:

The Surf Coasters: Intruder
The Fathoms: Fathomless
The Barbwires: La Caja del Muerto
Frankie & the Pool Boys: Ewa on the Beach
Satan's Pilgrims: Creature Feature
Los Twang!:Marvels: Sea of Glory
The Phantom Four: El Palmero
The Treble Spankers: Jaa-Rabbi
Fifty Foot Combo: SL-54 Automatic
Laika & the Cosmonauts: Floating
Aqualads: Washout
Langhorns: Club Gabardino
The Penetrators: Checkpoint Echo

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013 09:01:20

Name: Crumbly crumbles bus stop ftang ftang Olé-Biscuitbarrel

1. Galaxy Trio - Log Jam
  2. Kugiran D'Tepi Pantai - Lets Surf
  3. Saboteurs - Into The Shadows
  4. Lawndale - Streets of Desire
  5. Tiki Tones - Farenheit 151
  6. Los Plantronics - Bobby Peru
  7. Langhorns - Tierra del Fuego
  8. Impala - Mr. Here
  9. The SurfDusters - Radar Hill
  10. The Stingrays - Los Mosquitos

Interestingly I found chosing ten modern surf songs harder than picking ten classics, maybe because the genre has broadened that much since the 80s and I wanted a bit of everything, but not too much of any subgenre. So here are my personal modern top ten surf tunes (at the moment) pretty much from the top of my hat and again mostly determined by what influenced me most:

1. Jon & the Nighriders - Rumble at Waikiki (the Whiskey live version)
  2. Plan9 - Beach Buster
  3. The Bambi Molesters - Point Break
  4. Los Twang! Marvels - Sea of Glory
  5. The Kilaueas - Bernard of Hollywood
  6. Slacktone - Glide
  7. Aqualads - Surfin' with the Sharks
  8. Satan's Pilgrims - Badge of Honor
  9. The Space Cossacks - Solaris Stomp
  10. Man or Astro-man? - Bermuda Triangle Shorts

With more room I definitely would have included songs by the Mermen, Threesome, the TomorrowMen, the Razorblades... Well, I guess you can't have everything. And it is probably a good sign that I didn't run out of "killer tunes" while still in the top five. Wink

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

1)Return of the Surf Guitar by Martin Cilia
2) Surf Nouveau by the Aqua Velvets
3) Surfs Up by Martin Cilia
4) Red Sunrise by the Space Cossacks
5) The Truant by Jon and the Nightriders
6) Surf Fidelis by the Madeira
7) Ewa on the Beach by Frankie and the Pool Boys
8 ) Tribal Fury by the Madeira
9) Sidetrip by Splashback
10) Sea of Glory by Los Twang Marvels

Like everyone else, there are several others that could have made the list. Last out out of Stingray Stomp by the Blue Stingrays. It is tough paring the list down to 10.

Norm

Last edited: Nov 01, 2013 08:05:08

but let's be brutally honest: if you can't come up with a list of your ten favorite classic surf songs and your ten favorite non-first-wave surf songs then why are you posting on a surf music forum .

Brian should lock the Gear Forum until everyone's voted on this. I'm not kidding.

I´m totally with you here Warren!

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

nielsjansen wrote:

but let's be brutally honest: if you can't come up with a list of your ten favorite classic surf songs and your ten favorite non-first-wave surf songs then why are you posting on a surf music forum .

I´m totally with you here Warren!

I accept the challenge. Other than something else about surf music, I won't comment on anything else until I post my two sets of personal favorites. Here's where I wish I had the decades of exposure to surf music of so many others.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Nov 01, 2013 09:49:20

The question is going on its 3rd day and this is all that have posted here. That response is shameful. I suppose it is possible that someone new to surf does not have 10 favorites, or someone who is only familiar with new wave surf may not know enough about 1st wave surf to select 10. But at least everyone should take a stab at it. If you only like 5 of the 1st wave or whatever, qualify your answer accordingly. But at least give a response.

I would expect for most however, the hard part is narrowing down the list to only 10.

Later,
Norm

Dear Norm,

It is in no way obligatory to do both lists. If you only want to do one list that´s fine. If you don´t feel like doing any list that´s fine either.

That response is shameful.?

Don´t take it up so high.

I did not know there was an open question from you. I am sorry I have missed that. Nitro comes from Dick Dale´s 1993 album Tribal Thunder so this should go in the Revival list. Is that the question you were refering to? I did not see that when you first posted your Top 10, sorry about that. You did ask another question wether to include the artist and I have answered that instantly.

If somebody want to do a Top 5 or Top 3 because they cannot come up with more than 3 or 5 tracks that is totally fine with me. We will use their Top 3 or Top 5.

But if somebody cannot come up with 10 tracks I´d suppose they listen to North Sea Surf Radio for a couple hours. More than enough great tracks to choose from. Smile

Any more questions or is all clear now?

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Niels.

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: Nov 01, 2013 12:56:49

I'm afraid I can't objectively do a top 10 list of modern surf tunes, but safe to say it'd mirror some of the lists people have come up with so far. I will definitely work on a top 10 classic surf instro list though on the other thread.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

simoncoil wrote:

Interestingly I found chosing ten modern surf songs harder than picking ten classics,

It was fairly easy for me to come up with 10 classics, I think because the releases were singles, rather than albums. I think many would agree that The Madeira are one of the top 10 modern bands, but it's improbable for us to agree on what their definitive song would be. Whereas, even though The Chantays released a several albums, it's clear that Pipeline is their signature song, mostly because it was a hit single.
Anyway, I'm working on it.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

normj wrote:

The question is going on its 3rd day and this is all that have posted here. That response is shameful.

Well, it's also a very difficult thing to do. I'm going to have to visit my music collection this weekend and do some research.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

1.The Surf Coasters - "Intruder"
2. The Surftones - "Cecilia Ann"
3. Jon and the Nightriders - "Rumble at Waikiki"
4. Satan's Pilgrims - "Super Stock"
5. The Volcanos - "Doheny Dawn"
6. The Bambi Molesters - "Sweet Spot"
7. The Huntington Cads - "Goodnight Suzanne"
8. The Treble Spankers - "Dilmohammed"
9. The Madeira - "Undercurrents"
10.The Thunderchiefs - "Estratosfera"

This was a challenge. As others have mentioned, so many favorite songs and bands left out. I tried to strike a balance between bands I think of as historically important and influential, and songs that may not be signature but are truly favorites. As Ferenc said, hard to nail down modern bands to one tune.

To me, Intruder defines the term "modern classic". It stands head to head with the best heavy surf of the first wave.

Cecilia Ann is a "hoax" which kicks off a modest comp called "Surf Legends and Rumors 1961-1964". It got widespread exposure when the Pixies covered it, and it has been a staple ever since.

Jon and the Nightriders representing way back at the dawn of the '80s when playing surf right was an act of faith. So much respect for John and company.

Really hard to pick just one Satan's Pilgrims song. They are my favorite modern era surf band. I think of this one as their loving tribute to the Astronauts Baja--that chugging dripping rhythmic backdrop and a chorus that gets me right in the heart.

I love the Volcanos, and this track always jumps of the record. Beautiful. Their Surf Quake and Finish Line Fever albums are like twin pillars of surf greatness.

I think Intensity my favorite Bambi Molesters record. But that's like naming your favorite child. I could have picked blindfolded and come up with a good one for this list.

Ah, the Cads....a sentimental favorite I was talking about. They cultivated an image of style and grace, and their music reflected it.

The Treble Spankers did Middle Eastern inspired surf better than anyone. An inspirational band. Thanks to Ivan for turning me on to this from his great rendition on the Madeira's "Ruins" EP.

Speaking of which...well, if anyone does Middle Eastern better, it's the Madeira. But my choice is the luscious "Undercurrents". Didn't I read somewhere this one was close to Eddie Bertrand's heart as well? I dare say it transcends surf.

I love the Thunderchiefs' traditional approach and sound. Keepers of the flame and true Surf music ambassadors.

Finally (after 2 days of struggle) here's my choice

Name: UKAY54

1. Floating - Laika & the Cosmonauts
  2. Nomad - Insect Surfers
  3. The Bells of St.Kahuna - Slacktone
  4. Hacha de guerra - Los Coronas
  5. Cobra's Fang - Phantom Frank
  6. Robot Atomico - The Ghastly Ones
  7. Bali Hai - Los Twang! Marvels
  8. Checkpoint Echo - The Penetrators
  9. Jaa-Rabbi - The Treble Spankers
  10. Aruhi Nagisani - The Surf Coasters

A very, very hard piece of work. After one and a half day I had about 50 tunes being worth to become No. 1 in my selection. So I decided to ask the I-Tunes database on my computer, which I use for playing music at my home, which titles I played most. The result wasn't really satisfying (6 titles by Laika & the Cosmonauts and 4 Insect Surfers tunes Wink ), so I decided just to take one title per band. So this is the result and I'm missing so many great bands.... Sigh

Last edited: Nov 02, 2013 18:02:47

Top Ten Personal Surf Revival Favorite Songs

Noel
USA

1. “As the Dark Wave Swells” by The Bambi Molesters
  2. “Pre Ritual/Ritual” by The Madeira
  3. “Phantom Mustang” by the Intoxicators
  4. “7 Mares” by Los Kahunas
  5. "Phistful of Photons" by The Tomorrowmen
  6. “Guitars in Orbit” by Los Twang Marvels
  7. “Ewa on the Beach” by Frankie and the Pool Boys
  8. “Addio, Amore Mio” by The Man From RavCon
  9. "Depth Charge" By Jon & the Nightriders
  10. “Arigato Terauchi” by Crazy Aces

This was very difficult for me. Where are Slacktone, The Insect Surfers, The Penetrators, Satan’s Pilgrims, Space Cossacks, Coffin Daggers, Mystery Men, and on, and on, and on? Where are the rest? So many great bands unrepresented. And don't even get me started on bands such as the Deadbeats, Deadlands, Hangmen, and so many others. It would have been the same for me if the task was to pick my favorite 100.

I also like everyone else's choices and look forward to seeing all the lists. There's already songs on them I haven't heard yet.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Nov 04, 2013 08:23:21

NOOOO!!!!! Not songs... ALBUMS!!!

Here are my songs... It's going to be certain band heavy... whereas my top 10 albums are more even

Name: Jake
1. Space Cossacks - Escape from Gulag 17
2. Man or Astro-Man? - Bermuda Triangle Shorts
3. The Bambi Molesters - Point of No Return
4. Space Cossacks - The Jewel of Duende
5. Space Cossacks - Exolumina
6. Man or Astro-Man? - _/Myopia
7. The Nebulas - Supernova
8. Pollo Del Mar - A Flash of Green
9. Satan's Pilgrims - Surf Lyre
10. Slacktone - Glide

I hated this... 10 is not enough. There must be 100 surf songs that are my favorite ever as I am listening to them... No Intruder... No Theme From Slaying Beauty... No Hawaii Joe... No The Defector... No Madeira... No Cosmonauti...

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 512 13 Next