Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Cool ads and stuff from old SURFER MAGS...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

...and I read once that "the girl" is the photographer's daughter...

da-ron
The Severson years were classics though. Full marks for getting Fender ads!

Speaking of old riders, one of my favourites was/is Phil Edwards: "The beach? Man, the beach is just something I cross to get to the surf.."

Just wondering: Are there any other guitar/amp/instrument manufacturers advertising in those issues?

Phil Edwards was the first to conquer Pipeline. Big wave riders like Phil and Greg Noll surfed giant waves with no leash, in trunks (no wetsuit), no tow-in, no helicopter rescue, just pure bravery. Just paddling out was a life threatening act and a wipeout meant you might hit the jagged coral below. These guys were like astronauts going were no man had gone before.

There are no other guitar ads in Surfer Mag other than Fender. Why would you need or want anything more for surf? Very Happy

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

websurfer
Love the old Fender ads!

Norm, thought you might find this outtake from the photo shoot interesting. According to your magazine date, this took place earlier than the "late-1960s" caption here indicates.

Very cool behind the scenes photo! The date on the caption is incorrect because the shot is obviously from the same photo shoot as the ad which is earlier.

mom_surfing
the internet and the free newspaper type surf mags have killed what's left of the surfing magazine market.

Yeah, bummer. But you also see less newstands around too. For all the good it's done the internet has also destroyed a lot of great stuff, like a lot of printed publications.

Another Fender Ad from SURFER July '65, this time featuring a blonde with a nice polka dot bikini. Oh, and a nice Mustang too!! Wow, its July '65 and it looks like surf music was still in the game. How late will these ads run? We'll have to wait and see.

Disneyland Tommorowland stage featured surf bands (Challengers etc) in 1965 and 1966...my Dad was a security guard during those years...

Those ads are great. For completeness (unless it wasn't ever featured in the Surfer mag), you need to post the classic Jaguar playing surf rider Fender ad if you got it.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas
Those ads are great. For completeness (unless it wasn't ever featured in the Surfer mag), you need to post the classic Jaguar playing surf rider Fender ad if you got it.

I'm positive that ad is in there but I haven't gone through all my issues yet. That ad is classic! I will surely post it when I come across it.

dp
Disneyland Tommorowland stage featured surf bands (Challengers etc) in 1965 and 1966...my Dad was a security guard during those years...

THE AVENGERS VI were another band that kept playing surf through '66. I just looked up the Billboard top 100 for 1966 and was very surprised to find WIPE OUT by THE SURFARIS at #63 for the year's top hits!!!

Speaking of THE CHALLENGERS... here's an ad for booking the band from the SEPT 1964 issue of SURFER with cool Rick Griffin art.

The Avengers VI also played at Disneyland.
The went to my High School(Loara high school), some of the members were the schools first graduating class.

When they started singing they became the Californians.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Cringing at sticking guitars in the sand? I had to do just that with the cover to the album I use as my avatar here! It was the 90's before I had Photoshop. I did get a few surface scratches but they buffed out. BTW, if you don't live near a beach we on the coasts, left or right, can tell you sand really is billions of small bits of glass! The worst part is besides the pushed color no one guesses that that shot is real! UGH!

Anyway, for a living I work at a high end L.A. graphics firm and if anyone wants to send an ad to me for a pro high end scan I will do it for free as long as we can all have access to it! I would love a hugh file of the girl and the Mustang ad!

www.jetpackband.com
https://www.facebook.com/JetpackTheBand

dp
...and I read once that "the girl" is the photographer's daughter...

The dark-haired beauty is Loana Duran. She was discovered by Fender ad-man Bob Perine working in the lingerie department at Broadway Dept. Store. He liked her "exotic" look-he posed her as Hispanic, Tahitian, and Hawaiian in various ads.
In the group ads, the kids were friends of Bob's 3 daughters from Laguna Beach High School so one or all of them may have appeared in a few ads.
There is a comprehensive 2-page spread showing all of the "You won't part with yours either" ads in Richard Smith's "Fender, The Sound Heard 'Round The World".
There's a new book out: "Fender, The Golden Age 1949-1970". It's quite good.

Very cool. Thanks for the info on Loana Duran!

Klas

Here you go Klas! The classic ad... probably one of the coolest ad ideas ever!! I just found it in the Nov 65 issue! Seems like surf music was still alive for a little while, post-Beatles... Dig it!

da-ron
In an effort to stay on topic, I should mention that Surfers Path doesn't have any Fender ads, either. But it does have Jack Johnson ads.... Rolling Eyes

Oh yeah, Jack Johnson... the surf music of today. Face Palm

da-ron
Just wondering: Are there any other guitar/amp/instrument manufacturers advertising in those issues?

As a matter of fact yes! Just found this Teisco ad in the Nov '65 issue of SURFER...

...and this one from Magnatone in the SEPT '66 issue...

shivers13
Here you go Klas! The classic ad... probably one of the coolest ad ideas ever!!

Yeah, definitely a cool concept for a surf guitar ad. I remember reading a short interview with the surfer about the photo session but unfortunately can't seem to remember any details. I first thought he had said that the guitar didn't have a single drop of water on it after the session but I don't find that very likely, haha.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

websurfer
Love the old Fender ads!

Norm, thought you might find this outtake from the photo shoot interesting. According to your magazine date, this took place earlier than the "late-1960s" caption here indicates.

Glad you're diggin' the ads! For sure that caption is wrong. Here's the finished shot they were setting up for featured in the JULY '64 issue...

That's it! How cool. Cool

I don't think Fender set out to make a surf guitar, but once it caught on with that crowd, the marketing department had the good sense to run with it!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next