Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Mastodon - a surprising surf connection! :)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

That video is really unfortunate.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Fady, I'm just a new fan, and I've really only listened to Crack The Skye and Once More Around The Sun, but I highly, highly recommend them. They are slightly different styles, but both great. I have only begun to listen to The Hunter so can't really comment on it yet. I understand their earlier albums are much more straight-forward heavy metal/rock, but I don't know that from first hand experience.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

MadScientist wrote:

In the past year or so I have gotten REALLY into Mastodon! This thread really started it (along with the Metal Evolution documentary) and the more I listened to it the more I find Crack The Skye a complete masterpiece! In fact, that seems to be a bit of a theme with the Mastodon stuff... they are kind of slow burns for me. Take The Hunter, for example. When I first listened to it, I was like "Eh, it's OK." Now I think it's great. It's certainly not the piece of work that Crack The Skye is, but it truly grows on me with every listen!

This also happened with Once More Round The Sun, but it grabbed me tight almost immediately. I think it's a spectacular album start to finish and continues to grow with every listen. Maybe just barely falls short of Crack The Skye, but holy crap is it close.

It's funny that you brought this up now, Brian. They released a new music video yesterday for the song Motherload, and my company actually did all of the trippy kaleidoscope stuff during the solo. We're super proud! It was a relatively small job, so I didn't get to work on it myself, but I was thrilled when I saw it in-house. Check it out... it's horrifying and bizarre and wonderful!!

Wow!!!
I never thought I would see twerking in a rock/metal video.
I don't know why Brian says its unfortunate.
With most of the videos that get any play these days being like that,
maybe Mastadon has a chance of getting some video play on mtv.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wow that WAS bootiedelic in a steatopygic kinda way. Was that a cameo by Shub-Niggurath himself?

MadScientist wrote:

In the past year or so I have gotten REALLY into Mastodon! This thread really started it (along with the Metal Evolution documentary) and the more I listened to it the more I find Crack The Skye a complete masterpiece! In fact, that seems to be a bit of a theme with the Mastodon stuff... they are kind of slow burns for me. Take The Hunter, for example. When I first listened to it, I was like "Eh, it's OK." Now I think it's great. It's certainly not the piece of work that Crack The Skye is, but it truly grows on me with every listen!

This also happened with Once More Round The Sun, but it grabbed me tight almost immediately. I think it's a spectacular album start to finish and continues to grow with every listen. Maybe just barely falls short of Crack The Skye, but holy crap is it close.

It's funny that you brought this up now, Brian. They released a new music video yesterday for the song Motherload, and my company actually did all of the trippy kaleidoscope stuff during the solo. We're super proud! It was a relatively small job, so I didn't get to work on it myself, but I was thrilled when I saw it in-house. Check it out... it's horrifying and bizarre and wonderful!!

Squink Out!

Onslow_Beach wrote:

I've been well aware of Mastodon for some time, but have yet to give them an honest listen. Seems I ought to.

Question for the big fans... If I started with Crack The Skye, would I be let down by the rest of their releases, save maybe Once More Round The Sun?

Crack The Skye would be a great place to begin, but they really started making waves in prog metal circles back in 2004 with the release of Leviathan. I haven't bonded with that album nor its follow up Blood Mountain as much (that will likely change with more listens!), but Crack The Skye is truly a remarkable album. I do have have great affection for The Hunter as well, so those three at least are worth delving into! Maybe go back in the catalog after you digest their more recent work.

Also, I did have a chance to see Fiend Without a Face open for Man or Astro-Man? in Chapel Hill back in Nov 2010. Perhaps it was the anticipation of seeing MOAM for the first time, but my recollection of FWaF was pretty awful.

I finally got to see Fiend Without A Face twice around and on NYE last year with Brann on drums, and I rather enjoyed them! I can't say that their music stuck with me in any big way, but it's interesting, and watching those guys play is certainly enough for me to pay attention to! Your mileage will CERTAINLY vary! It's definitely not for everyone!

Brian wrote:

Unfortunately GREAT! Wink

bigtikidude wrote:

With most of the videos that get any play these days being like that,
maybe Mastadon has a chance of getting some video play on mtv.

Videos on MTV? HUH!? I think those days are long gone, right?

There's been a good bit of discussion about the video including this response from Brann: http://pitchfork.com/news/56917-mastodons-brann-dailor-talks-the-motherload-video-its-not-to-be-taken-so-seriously/

Mtv and mtv2 show a bit of videos usually overnight or early in the morning. their offshoots mtv hits, mtv u(university) and mtv jams
Play videos only. I usually swoop thru and take a peek at each on the way
To VH1 classic.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey you kids...get off my lawn! Face Palm

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Morphball? Mom? I think you guys were there too... would love to hear your recollection!

Let's just say that MoAM? was the highlight that evening! They weren't bad, especially for a side-project, but I'm a much bigger fan of Hinds' work in Mastodon. (Agreed "Crack the Skye" is a good starting point.)

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

MadScientist wrote:

This also happened with Once More Round The Sun, but it grabbed me tight almost immediately. I think it's a spectacular album start to finish

Yes Listened to the first seven songs (out of 11) yesterday, cranked in my car, and I was blown away. High Road and Chimes at Midnight were my favorites. Gotta check out the rest of it today, but already I think it's safe to say that this is my favorite Mastodon album of the last three. Crack the Skye is amazing, but I find it a draining experience to listen to it, it's a bit too intense and dark. But this one just sounds like great classic metal done Mastodon-style! Hooray! Headbang

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Brian wrote:

Agreed. Confused (Sorry, Jamie.)

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Brian wrote:

Agreed. Confused (Sorry, Jamie.)

Where is your sense of adventure, guys!? Wink

Following way behind my sense of good taste...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

So, is the consensus then that I should go see this show?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014 14:52:26

Noel wrote:

So, is the consensus then that I should go see this show?

I have my tickets for the Atlanta show.

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere else previously, but I just heard Fiend Without A Face's "Tsunami" on the Southern Surf Stomp Podcast #8. Does anyone have the physical CD handy? Do they credit Paul Johnson's "Tally Ho?"

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Goto Page: Previous 1 2