Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Meshugga Beach Party - "Shmatta Hari"

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

doh!!
None

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Unless there are contractual reasons why it can't be done, I, for one, wouldn't mind being able to own both DVDs. They wouldn't wouldn't have the same look or feel. If there's a possibility of this, it works for me. I think I'm not alone in having this wish.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

What Noel says,

AND,
Laika and the Cosmonauts doc will probably be released from Europe, like the Bambi Molesters DVD recently, and how many people in the USA got that?

I think if you released just the PO video as a separate LIVE only DVD of them, and possibly the MBP.
it would sell well,
and It's not a doc,
its a live concert video.
some people may not want to see a Doc about a band.
I would buy both.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Guys, thanks for a allowing me to blow a little steam(?) off. I appreciate your ideas. I'm not upset at Laika, it is their prerogative to do as they wish and I completely respect their desires. I hope you can appreciate my reaction is at the implication that I have not followed through on any promises and this was all very recent.

second, I don't have huge aspirations for a PO dvd. My primary concern was not to cut into Laika's sales since the doc looks nearly complete and ready to ship(soon, IMO). I don't know what their plans are.

My idea is to use the PO dvd as a fund raising tool. SOTS finishing fundraising is going to begin soon and it would be a little extra offering on Kickstarter which is why I've been working on it recently.

BUT, to risk the expense to finish it is cutting it close enough without another factor putting it in red. I get a lot of people who urge me to do things like this to whom I reply, "OK, you pay for it and I'll do it".

IF somebody expressed interest in producing and distributing the DVD I am all for it but there has been zero interest thus far. The Laika video has BY FAR been the most popular video on SOTS YT channel with the majority of traffic coming from Google searches.

The other option is I could compromise quality, not spend anything, mix and produce it myself but nobody wants inferior quality now do they?

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 15:33:22

Hey Tom

Echoing everyone else's encouragement ... the footage you've already shared with us whets the Hell out of my appetite. Sometimes ya gotta wait a little extra time for things that are special.

I also wanted to state publicly my thanks to you for all your concern (along with Mr. Blair) for my health last Summer in Livorno. It meant so damn much to me, and helped carry me through a nightmare of a time. That's the beauty of this 'surf community' -- damn good sweet people, with so much mutual care for others: we see it at the larger gigs with the sharing/lending of equipment, artists working as "roadies" between bands, helping to load in/load out, posters, flyers, maintaining websites such as this and the Facebook sites, and in general -- so much giving of one's time for the love of the instro surf-beat genre!

Regarding Laika, I was wondering what footage they were using for their documentary? I seem to recall that they had a videographer (maybe 2 of them??) at some of their gigs. I shot some stuff during that tour and would be curious if they used any of it (they haven't reached out asking for the MVI's, by the way, or even asking if they could use what I shot).

Catch up soon, I suspect!
STAY THE COURSE!!

Unsteady Freddie

P.S. speaking of SHMATA HARI, I shot that cool song this last Summer at the SG101 Convention at The Starting Gate, thought I'd share it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFpuWL9VoG4

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 15:53:01

I don't think anyone was questioning your earnestness or ethics, and I expect everyone can now understand your frustration at how things developed. What about a Kickstarter campaign to raise the money to complete the DVD? Just how much do you think is necessary to get the job done to your satisfaction?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 15:54:48

My apologies for ruffling your feathers, but I think you read into my post too much Tom. I wasn't implying anything except how much we'd like to see that footage. Did you get my PM?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012 16:14:35

Thanks Danny no feathers ruffled, I was working hard to complete this... until last week. I had spent a week in Feb. rough mixing and sent the files for approval so the ball was in play.

Noel, I have the funds to finish. I just needed Laika's approval. I would need to do the same with MBP but reckoned that shouldn't take so long and we'd be finished by now.

I calculated this was the optimal way to use the footage. There are other options yes, but in all my research and discussions with the surf music marketing gurus, who know a lot more than I do, this was the ideal.

Freddie thanks, you are amazing brother. I know some of it was NY, maybe SF and others (??) I could go back and check.

td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Tom, as always, your hard work is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see your finished product.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bump. I'd just like to show this to the folks who haven't seen it yet. What an amazing video!

Glad you bumped that Brian. I forgot what a great song and performance that was!

Paul

Thanks guys. We will soon be announcing our upcoming appearance on a national television show this summmer. Stay tuned.... Oy Vey

Danny Snyder

_

Yes, thanks for bumping this Brian.
Such a great video and Danny - oh what tone and playing!
This National TV teaser is amazing as well. I'll be looking for that announcement.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Did the Laika documebtary Tom mentioned above ever come out?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not that I'm aware of. I don't think it was a documentary of LTC, I think he was just filming the show to use a scene in his film Sound of the Surf. He was going to make the footage available to those who attended that show but it never happened AFAIK. I am very grateful that he filmed this song for Meshugga and released it, it's one of our best videos.

Danny Snyder

_

I understand that.
I'm wondering about the Separate documebtary about the band that he mentions somebody else was doing.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was looking at some videos this morning and came across this gem and thought I would bump this thread for the new folks.

Somehow I had missed this one, up until now. Having had the privilege of seeing MBP live (and having a meal with the at the late and great Don the Beachcombers), I have to say that it’s an experience well worth the effort required. The Dead Jokes Scroll, in and of itself, is worth the trip, and the music is amazing.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3