Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink SG101 2009 Convention reports

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 618 19 Next

two way-cool old dudes.

Wronski in action!

dp
imageThis photo definitively proves that Bigfoot does indeed exist.
He wandered down from Humboldt County with his surf bass in hand.
I think he likes pizza.

A potential POTD!! Wink

^ somehow my camera always seems to get the best out of the BigfootTikiDude. ^

dp
"Endless Summer"
Stormtiger (Doug P), Don Boomer, DP (Dave P), StarEdge (Will), Ferenc's Wife

That would be the lovely Karen “Shayna Maydele” Dobronyi of Meshugga Beach Party.

dp
imageThe Sand Devils sounded SWEET!

Hey Everybody,
I'm just now getting to this.
I am halfway thru the thread, but had to comment on DP's post.

Sweet?
I always thought the Sand Devils were Dark and Ominous sounding.
but that is just my kinda sweet,
so maybe your demented like me.

back to reading, will post way more later.

thanks for coming to everybody that was there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks to everyone who put this together! I had such a blast, and every band and every jam session was absolutely awesome! I basically walked around in awe all day on Saturday. Too cool...

I'm looking forward to next year already Smile

I'm totally shell-shocked from two full days of reverb drenched pummelage! It was so awesome to reconnect with so many SG101'ers, and to finally meet so many more. It would be impossible to top Saturday at the Starting Gate, but Sunday at the Pier was also off-the hook! Hearing Matt's back-line opened-up in an outdoor setting was an absolutely mind- numbing, religious experience. It would be an injustice to describe the sound at the pier as merely spectacular. It was beyond words. Trying to describe highlights of these two events is nearly impossible, but I'll try.

The jams were again a highlight for me. The talent of the musicians playing these great jams with little or no practice together was amazing. The Detonators always bring it. The Boardwalkers were great. The Sand Devils were intense. The Surge tore my head clean-off. The Reventlos were so original and out-there that I was grinning from ear to ear their whole set. The Secret Samurai, Wow!!! The TomorrowMen continue to blow my mind more and more everytime I see them. Ghastly Ones rev'ed-up the crowd like nobody else. And the Verbtones took no prisoners! I was so overloaded after the 8 hour, nearly nonstop, aural assault that I had to forego travelling down to Oceanside for the show down there. BTD, Tuck and those of you who made that show, I am in AWE! Worship

Sunday at the Pier was 5-star performances from start to finish. the Verbtones and The Surge definitely kicked it up a few notches above Saturday's firebreathing performances. The Reventlos were over-the-top. The Eliminators were phenomonal. The addition of Jon Blair was a real treat. I was surprised at how much of a supporting role Jon played, but it was a thrill listening to the master play rhythm. And when he played lead, ohmygod.... sonic nirvana! If anybody left before the final set by the fabulous Glasgow Tiki Shakers, you oughta be flogged! Wink Bill and the crew absolutely killed. I dare to say that (for my tastes) they were as good as anybody that played all weekend. I'm still numb from their performance. I had to head straight to the airport from the Pier, so I had to miss the DuoTones at Don the Beachcombers. Duh Suicide

What an incredible weekend! Major Kudos to the Big Tiki Dude. Worship You hit a home run out of the galaxy this year. You totally rule, big-guy! Thanks to Matt, Jeff and Marty for the backlines, to all the great bands, musicians, jammers. and vendors. Thanks to all the out of towners for travelling such long distances, and all the attendees for making this event such a tremendous success. Thanks to Brian for starting and leading this incredible group. Thanks to the Starting Gate for the great venue, and very reasonable priced good food. Thanks to Linda and the Surf Museum for the show at the Pier. I'm overwhelmed. I'm blown-away. I'll finally stop.

Bob

Bob

Robbie,(bob)
Great to see you again.
thanks for the kind words.

I'm still decompressing, and taking in all the Kudos.

thanks so much to everybody for the O so kind words.
It really means the world to me, that you all had a fabulous time.
and especially to those that traveled from Far distances.
you truly made me very happy.

will post more tomorrow,
but, thanks you for coming,
and thank you very much for the compliments.
I am forever grateful to you all.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 04, 2009 00:39:46

UnsteadyFreddie
just walked into my apartment
'
shout-out 'BRAVO' to Jeff BigTikiDude, Tiki Tina, Brian Neal....and everyone who lent a hand, music equipment, the venues themselves, and last but not least...all of the musicians who kicked the reverb into high gear solidly for 3 straight days....stoked beyond my wildest expectations Laughing

thrilled I made the choice to let The TarantinosNYC run my SHINDIG while I hung out with all you great people

I had a glorious time

have to shower and head to work

tonight I begin the process of loading in videos to YouTube, and creating a FLICKR file of the things I had the joy of experiencing

every time I go to California I do not want to come back to NYC...never fails -- me thinks my higher power is trying to tell me something? Wink

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

Freddie,
Great post man,
truly from the Heart.
and that is what matters to me.

Great to see you again, thanks for coming out man,
see you at Tiki Oasis.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Another suggestion for next year: A big sign in sheet so we know who's here and can seek them out. I can be in charge of that if you like the idea.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
Another suggestion for next year: A big sign in sheet so we know who's here and can seek them out. I can be in charge of that if you like the idea.

Danny,
do you mean, so we can e-mail them for the Next years show?
or just to know who was there.

but that would be great if you can do that next year.
I was gonna have a sign in sheet, where people put e-mail or phone number,
but I completely forgot.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DannySnyder

You might want to consider a GPS collar and locating device for each person as they enter.

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Well....I didn't want to go home, but I didn't want to extend my trip THIS way.

Missed my flight. Embarassed Suicide

Lessee........$785 difference plus $150 ticket change fee from Northwest

OR

$285 on a competing airline. Hmmm

Only problem is.............it's on US Airways. Which isn't a problem going to Vegas, but the connection to Dulles is on..

wait for it.....

United.

And as we all know.....

United.

Breaks.

Guitars.

Shocked (Hope I don't have a problem carrying mine on)

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

tdsurf

DannySnyder

You might want to consider a GPS collar and locating device for each person as they enter.

Laughing Biometrics might just do the trick.

Jeff- to know who's there.

Danny Snyder

_

DannySnyder
Jeff- to know who's there.

then do what with that info?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Be able to know if a Jam song needs to be cut for example, cause the players aren't there.

Ran

The Scimitars

I'd like to have said hello to more than a few members who were there but I didn't know it. For instance, I could have checked the list and saw that Tim Sullivan was there and looked for him.

Danny Snyder

_

I think I will be in attendance next year.. barring any unforeseen problems.. crossing my fingers.

well if you looked at the complete Jam list you would have noticed that he was on a few songs,
and when he came on stage for the Jam , I announced who he was, and that he was from the supertones.

Sleeping

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 618 19 Next