Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Boss FRV-1 pedal: Fender Reverb

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

This post has been removed by the author.

zak

synchro
The only way to find out will be to play one.

I thought this thread was irrefutable proof that certain fortunate and gifted individuals have the highly enviable ability to know what something sounds like without ever having actually heard it?

I think that's a phenomena that the Internet brings out in people. I'm certainly not counting on it being great but it might be an interesting pedal and if I don't like it I can always return it (the dealer has already agreed to that) or toss it on eBay.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

zak
I thought this thread was irrefutable proof that certain fortunate and gifted individuals have the highly enviable ability to know what something sounds like without ever having actually heard it?

More like irrefutable proof that Zak will jump in and say something rude and provocative in almost any thread. I don't see anyone claiming any such thing - just people discussing the sound from the meagre evidence in the video clip, that's all.

Do you feel compelled to undermine the validity of other people's input? Most of what's talked about here is like conversation in a bar - it's lightweight speculation and chit-chat. I don't think the board benefits from your policing it to ensure that the conversation comes up to a certain standard of importance or empirical verification.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

I a/b'd one of these yesterday at Portland Music with a Digitech Digiverb. The digiverb's spring setting blows the doors off the FRV. The FRV sounds "ok" and gets a decent tone. I just didn't think it got "drippy" enough. I didn't spend a ton of time with it so maybe its better than I give it credit for.

zak

estreet
Do you feel compelled to undermine the validity of other people's input?

Only when this input is of questionable merit. For example: your post.
How does it address the product being discussed?

Do you mean my original post on this subject or the one complaining about your comment? The first did - the reason for the other is self-evident and wasted a lot less column space than the 300 word or so rant against my 'intellectual abilities' that comprises most of your post.

I doubt anyone found the dictionary dig hilarious or took it as seriously as you obviously did - it was just the obvious connection when you ran through other words beginning with 'T' to replace 'treachery' in my tag line. I'm sure you knew the words already but you do seem to have some big hang-up about intelligence:

I'll wager any amount of money my vocabulary dwarfs your own

Who cares either way? You obviously - what a childish comment - is your dad bigger than my dad too?

My complaint about your comment contained barely a shred of personal antipathy in comparison to your reaction to it. It's you who doesn't seem to realise what's personal and what isn't: I complained about what you'd done - you attacked what I am. ie:

Elderly cover-playing ass? Yeah, I have two bands that play covers to play the rent - there's nothing ignoble about that - plenty of the old bluesmen you champion did just the same. I also have two bands that are all original compositions. Resorting to ageism is below the belt.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Anyone wish this thread would get back on topic? Just sayin. Maybe those that are feuding can take their discussion offline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlzMrJWYobc

Well I actually have played the pedal so you got that part wrong. The rest I pretty much agree with.

Fact.

estreet, Zak had a point about people judging things before they try them. We have a bad habit here of judging things just because they are digital, not vintage correct, or made from a certain material all before we even have a chance to use them.

Unadan
I a/b'd one of these yesterday at Portland Music with a Digitech Digiverb. The digiverb's spring setting blows the doors off the FRV. The FRV sounds "ok" and gets a decent tone. I just didn't think it got "drippy" enough. I didn't spend a ton of time with it so maybe its better than I give it credit for.

The samples of heard of the DigiTech sounded pretty impressive for a stomp box. The drip was good enough to fool me.

Zak wrote:

I don't think the board benefits from you role-playing Miss Manners either. You could have disregarded my comment and moved along, but I guess you lack stimulus or something. Don't attempt to teach me how to live, and I won't try to teach you anything. Laughing The former is beyond the scope of your intellectual abilities, the latter is a waste of my time and probably yours as well. Besides, you aren't very well-equipped for this sort of thing (you certainly made a few people laugh when you suggested I needed a dictionary in order to select to appropriate sobriquets for you - turgid and turbid, if memory serves me well...I'll wager any amount of money my vocabulary dwarfs your own).
Your mind can't seem to grasp the distinction between me making a general statement and you making a personal attack, as in another thread you attributed your own modus operandi to my "debating style" = proof of your utter inability to distinguish between the two approaches. No one asked you what you considered beneficial. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. If you aren't intellectually equipped for debate, don't open the door to getting your elderly coverband playing backside kicked]

T. S. Elliot wrote:

"...like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent..."

Unadan

The samples of heard of the DigiTech sounded pretty impressive for a stomp box. The drip was good enough to fool me.

zak
I don't think the intended market for these pedals will complain about the damn thing not sounding exactly like an Astronauts recording the way members of this site will. Like most of the other pedal reverbs, to a greater or lesser degree they are "good enough" for the casual reverb user. It seems hilarious to me that Roland or Fender or whoever else should dedicate more time to their product demo videos containing more "authentic" surf performances...because it is so important for them to reach the miniscule minority of surf guitar geeks...you know, the same guys who'll eventually buy a reverb tank anyway. Because the world revolves around surf music.

I think that's the point for me. I'd love to have a Surf band but it just-plain ain't gonna happen where I live. Aside from Century Bob and his band members I don't know a single person in my area that has any interest in Surf. I'd love to have a Gomez Surfer and one of his reverb units to go with it but it would be a waste of resources.

OTOH, I can sneak an occasional Surf song into public playing opportunities and if I can find a pedal that will give me some drip it's worth $100 or so to me. I don't care if it's a Boss pedal with a Fender logo on it or a Digitech model.

synchro
I'd love to have a Surf band but it just-plain ain't gonna happen where I live.

There are a half a million (or more) permanent residents in your city. Put an ad in Craigslist or in the college rag. Be prepared to make some new friends. Make it happen!

SSIV

LHR

synchro

There are a half a million (or more) permanent residents in your city. Put an ad in Craigslist or in the college rag. Be prepared to make some new friends. Make it happen!

I don't actually live in Tucson. I live about 30 miles east of there out in the desert. I just put Tucson as my location because nobody knows where J-6 Ranch is.

synchro

LHR

synchro

I don't actually live in Tucson. I live about 30 miles east of there out in the desert. I just put Tucson as my location because nobody knows where J-6 Ranch is.

Is that like Area 51?

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=9353f9155b5ff32e14c998495fd00da4&#!/rich.derksen.7

Pappa_Surf

synchro

LHR

synchro

Is that like Area 51?

More like the olde west. This is the Mescal site of Old Tucson Studios, the second most important loaction in the neighborhood. The most important location is the convenience store which keeps us supplied with both beer and Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next