Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Non-Surf Instrumental Music?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Maybe this isn't the right part of the forum in which to post this, since it IS called "Surf Music General Discussion."

I will leave it to the wisdom and caprices of our esteemed moderators if they wish to move it.

I find the older I get (I'm 40 now) the more and more I prefer instrumental music. There is always a LOT of older, classic rock and pop (and other genres) with vocals that I love, but as far as new-ish, more current bands, I find I tend to go for instrumental acts more often, and not just surf-inspired or retro-surf bands (though there are plenty of those I adore.)

I'm not sure why...maybe it's that I find a lot of what CAN be said in the lyrics of pop/rock music has already been said. Maybe a lot of younger bands just don't have much to say, or what they are saying doesn't connect with me as much for whatever reason. (Like the fact I'm an old coot perhaps?)

screams at young whippersnappers to get off my lawn

Also, it may be that I increasingly appreciate becoming enveloped in the pure tonalities and sounds of the instruments themselves, and of dissecting production techniques, use of effects, dynamics of the music itself minus vocals, and so on.

Anyways, I thought we might have a discussion about other instrumental bands people here may enjoy listening to. I know I'd appreciate getting turned on to new music, and hearing what people's tastes are.

I'll start by naming some instrumental (or largely instrumental) bands whose music I enjoy...

Friends of Dean Martinez. Originally a splinter group from Tuscon band Giant Sand, Friends of DM make some really nice music that evokes not the waves and shore so much as the desert plains. Much of their work reminds me of a soundtrack to an imaginary Western film. Some of their tracks are pretty "experimental" and not all song-like, but they generally craft some realy nice numbers, frequently featuring pedal steel guitar.

Dirty Three. Autralian three-piece consisting of guitar, drums and viola (at times harmonica, keyboards and other instruments join in.) Their music can't really be tagged comfortably in my estimation. Sometimes sparse, sometimes heavy (in an emotional sense) they create really interesting vistas of the mind.

Don Caballero. On-again, off-again band that intermittently releases an album now and then. I guess you could say I admire this band more than I listen to them, but they do have many tunes peppered throughout their discography that I really like. They are often referred to as "math-rock" and, as such, play with bizarro time signatures, highly shifting tempos, etc. Their music is frequently too "busy" for me, but they are really top notch musicians and tighter than a snare drum that's ready to pop its skin.

Those are the only ones I'll mention in detail for now, ,but here is a list of some others that have made some nice instrumental music over the last couple of decades. Some of these bands are now defunct. Many of them may be quite familiar to some of the good folks here:

Scenic, Lanterna, Pell Mell, 5ive Style, Unwed Sailor, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Impala, Cul de Sac. Mogwai and, of course The Mermen.

Anyone care to chime in?

The Hypnomen!!
http://www.myspace.com/hypnomen

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I also really like The Dirty Three and Don Caballero.
I would also add Big Lazy for great dark Americana instro. I'm also into a lot of the modern post rock instro groups such as the Japanese group, Mono (probably my favorite), Pelican, Red Sparrows; as well as more avant garde/jazz stuff like The Nels Cline Singers. I wold say that instrumental music makes up 95% of my listening these days.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

skeeter
The Hypnomen!!

The Hypnomen are GREAT!!!

Don Caballero is sick - been listening to them for 8 or 9 years. Great musicians, lots of unique ideas.

But I thought the Mermen are surf?? I mean I know that's debatable.

Calexico - do a lot of instrumental stuff, and also used to be a part of Friends of Dean Martinez (who used to be named Friends of Dean Martin, until Deano's estate got mad).

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Ruhar
I also really like The Dirty Three and Don Caballero.
I would also add Big Lazy for great dark Americana instro. I'm also into a lot of the modern post rock instro groups such as the Japanese group, Mono (probably my favorite), Pelican, Red Sparrows; as well as more avant garde/jazz stuff like The Nels Cline Singers. I wold say that instrumental music makes up 95% of my listening these days.

Never heard of Big Lazy--will check them out. Thanks!

I also really dig Mono, Pellican and Red Sparrows. Good stuff (especially Mono.)

I know Nels Cline's work, but I'm not familiar with The Nels Cline Singers.

skeeter
The Hypnomen!!

Okay. New to me! Will definitely check them out this evening. Thanks for the tip...

Jagshark
But I thought the Mermen are surf?? I mean I know that's debatable.

Yeah, I won't make a judgement call there. If they consider themselves surf and a lot of their fans do, that's jake with me! They just seem like a more expanded, psychedelic kind of surf than what comes to my mind (personally) when I think of Surf...

Calexico - do a lot of instrumental stuff, and also used to be a part of Friends of Dean Martinez (who used to be named Friends of Dean Martin, until Deano's estate got mad).

Great band, Calexico.

There's plenty to be found in the movie soundtrack world of 'non-surf' instrumental music. Personal faves for me are:

Vertigo
Taxi Driver
The City of Lost Children
(all by Bernard Hermann)

Blade Runner (Vangelis)

I probably don't need to mention Morricone.

John Barry composed a lot of great stuff too.

The Proposition Soundtrack (by Nick Cave and I think including one of the Dirty Three members).

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Eleki. Spy. Spaghetti Westerns.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Muddslide

skeeter
The Hypnomen!!

Okay. New to me! Will definitely check them out this evening. Thanks for the tip...

Actually I only know their early stuff.
Supersonico, Watusi 99 are great albums. Trip with Satan is pretty good too. Not really familiar with their more recent stuff.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Yeah, I have and dig Watusi 99 by The Hypnomen. I believe they went into a different direction recently, judging by their myspace.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I like Jonny Greenwood's scores, band called M83s early albums, Nels Cline Singers, the Sonic Youth SYR albums can be good(instrumental), and I am a huge fan of classical music.

I'm not very knowledgeable in the genres but I do enjoy a nice piece of bluegrass music and Scottish, Irish, and Cape Breton fiddle. And Scottish pipes and Irish Pennywhistle of course.

Most of my favorite very non-instrumental bands have instrumental tracks that are pretty great. Generally lacking in melody but they more than make up for it with the ambiance and/or general groove.

As far a instrumental from a whole other genre, I'm also into vintage Hawaiian, especially steel guitar based music of the 20's to the 50's.

The term surf music seems to me to be a description of convenience anyway, but that's another topic. Some recent non surf (strictly speaking) from modern bands I have enjoyed in the last year--

The Concussions "Magic Fingers"
The Barbwires "Sounds Like Trouble"
3 Balls OF Fire "Jet Set Guitars"
The 'Verb "Reverberated For Your Pleasure" This last has been out awhile, and a new album is due soon.

Like I said, these all have surf elements and tunes, but overall, I consider them more broadly "instrumental" bands.

Muddslide
Friends of Dean Martinez. Originally a splinter group from Tuscon band Giant Sand, Friends of DM make some really nice music that evokes not the waves and shore so much as the desert plains. Much of their work reminds me of a soundtrack to an imaginary Western film. Some of their tracks are pretty "experimental" and not all song-like, but they generally craft some realy nice numbers, frequently featuring pedal steel guitar.

I like a lot of instro bands (I guess we all do) but Friends of Dean Martinez don't get nearly enough attention for what they did. I fell asleep with all their albums on shuffle the other night and realized they're probably one of my top 5 favorite bands.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I too love Friends of Dean Martinez.Their smooth yet haunting songs are great for relaxing,or even dare I say "sexy". The ladies in my life seem to really enjoy their music when we're Wink "romantic"
I would certainly recommend "The Shadow Of Your Smile","Retrograde ","Atardecer ",and"A Place In The Sun "albums to anybody. GREEAATT stuff!

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Exotica,
Martin Denny, Arthur Lymann, Les Baxter, and my Favorite
Robert Drasnin 1 cd VooDoo on Dyonisus records.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

brandonio
I too love Friends of Dean Martinez.Their smooth yet haunting songs are great for relaxing,or even dare I say "sexy". The ladies in my life seem to really enjoy their music when we're Wink "romantic"
I would certainly recommend "The Shadow Of Your Smile","Retrograde ","Atardecer ",and"A Place In The Sun "albums to anybody. GREEAATT stuff!

uh...yep I can vouch for that

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

bigtikidude
Exotica,
Martin Denny, Arthur Lymann, Les Baxter, and my Favorite
Robert Drasnin 1 cd VooDoo on Dyonisus records.

Yep.
Jeff brings up some goodies - I love all the Exotica notables above, plus:
The Hawaiian hapa haole jazz, cabaret jazz of the 20s/30s and also the instrumental jazz sounds on the vibes:
Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton, others...

bIGwAvE Dave

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next