Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Razorblades - Twang Machine

Page 1 of 1

This album has been out for a little while but I only just got my copy and wanted to hear others' opinions. I'm not really equipped to make a full song-by-song review but I do have a things to say.

The Razorblades last album wasn't exactly in constant rotation for me, but every time I listened to it I wondered why I didn't listen to it more. I certainly was a fan, or else I wouldn't have taken the plunge on this album. I'm not really even through with my first listen right now, but I bet this will get a lot more action. Though it's got a pretty plain surf tone, every song so far has been melodically fresh, with clear riffs and ideas in mind rather than screwing with surf licks until a song comes around. One of those albums where track after track you think "OK this is the standout" until the next track. It keeps a pretty high tempo most of the time, but retains a high energy level to go with it.

I guess what really made me want to write this was that this is the nth band I used to love to play on my radio show as long as three years ago that has come back with an album that shows evidence of really challenging themselves. It may not question my notions of what surf should sound like, but it's hard to imagine what else the Razorblades could have done here. They certainly deserve a congratulations on a job well done, as do many of the rest of you with your respective bands. It's really something special to see such a small genre achieving such a high quality output

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I've been listening to this a lot lately to try and review it, but I'm not articulate enough to do so. I do think it is their best collection yet. I'm pretty close to them (well, Martin anyway), I've done the artwork for their last two CDs and Martin's solo CD. This new one is a sparser sound, new drummer and no rhythm guitar. I like his use of 12-string, fuzz and some other effects. It has really grown on me with repeated listenings, the strong melodies stick in my head. Piccadilly Swing is one of my favorites, the kind you want to pick up a guitar and learn. Martin is really into being 21st Century Surf Music so they do have a more modern sound, unique to them. He is also a huge Dave Wronski fan and I think you can hear that in his music and guitar tones. I always thought the drums were the biggest departure from trad surf, on the first CD they sound almost heavy metal to me. They get large, young crowds at their shows. The wild youth goes crazy over those fast numbers, it must be a great place to be.

you know, I was about to comment on how good the drums are but as soon as I started typing, I started listening and thought "well I guess this isn't THAT different". Glad to see that wasn't coming from nowhere. It's hard to really identify good drumming because often if your music shows off great chops, it doesn't really mean good things for the song.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I absolutely LOVE Dark Side of the Beach. Haven't got the new one yet, as I'm done with iTunes downloads. Waiting until I get some cash up to order a few CDs at once. (would help if I'd stop hangin on Ebay!!!!)

ST-You did the art for DSoTB????

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Staredge
I absolutely LOVE Dark Side of the Beach. Haven't got the new one yet, as I'm done with iTunes downloads. Waiting until I get some cash up to order a few CDs at once. (would help if I'd stop hangin on Ebay!!!!)

ST-You did the art for DSoTB????

Yes I did. Martin, I mean Rob, keeps me busy with posters, buttons, patches, ads. He is very organized and gets a lot done. He may around here somewhere. Tiki Dog?

I finally broke down and downloaded it. I'll be buying the CD at some point.

I.

Love.

it.

I wasn't sure when I first listened to the clipss on iTunes. DSoTB IS a standard part of my rotation. I absolutely love the album (and the artwork. Got a print Doug???) and was afraid with the loss of a guitarist that TM wouldn't hold up as well. I was wrong.

Now if we can just get them to come to the states.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Page 1 of 1