Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 222 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next

Play with them until you hate the sound/playability. Don't replace a wound string, either replace them all or not at all. You can replace the plain strings with a DR Pure Blues and have it feel as close as you will get without shelling out for Pyramid/Thomastik singles(if they even make those).

Sage advice from one who goes through a lot of strings, I'm sure. THanks, Jake.
JakeDobner wrote:

Play with them until you hate the sound/playability. Don't replace a wound string, either replace them all or not at all. You can replace the plain strings with a DR Pure Blues and have it feel as close as you will get without shelling out for Pyramid/Thomastik singles(if they even make those).

Squink Out!

Lots and lots, but I try to stretch them.

Put a set of round core DR's on the red Strat now and they seem to be very nice, same result as with the JM mentioned on previous page. Very balanced string to string, and something unquantifiable in terms of 'smoother' to the touch. Now that the pickups are settled on the red one & I got the 3-way in it's almost a backup for the white one.

One hat-tip to D'Addario though: I have a bunch of their EXL's & have been using them for quite awhile. Recently I busted a 1st string right above the wrap while pulling it in (red one). Thought maybe a burr in the new MiM trem block so addressed that. Then another one from same box (10-pack) busted restringing the AVRI. Never happened before, or since.

Contacted D'Addario to see about sources for individual 1st strings so I don't have 5-string "sets" laying around and they simply asked me for one of the lot numbers off the wrap. Dug it out of the wastebasket, gave George the long alphanumeric code and they sent me a set, plus 3 addtional 1st strings. Pretty good service in my opinion.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I've had 11 round wounds on my Mosrite Excellent for a while because I always thought they were the best for that type of guitar… until now!!

I wanted to try out flats on it, so I tried some 11 Chromes but there was too much tension on the spring, the 11 rounds had the perfect tension.

Then I found these D'Addario Half Rounds and they are perfecto!! No squeak of round wounds, but plenty of brightness and perfect tension on the vibrato spring. Win!!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016 21:59:57

I have been playing with Ernie Ball 7-string Power Slinkys on my Stratocaster. I omit the .11 string and am left with a set that's 14 18 28 38 48 58. I've been really thrilled with the results.

Beyond the tone and steady tension of the strings, I find that my tremolo picking has a much more defined sound; it's much less legato. The punch of each note's attack is clearly defined through the reverb. I play with a medium Dunlop gel, because the attack is there with minimal "flop", or too much click.

devinomatic wrote:

I have been playing with Ernie Ball 7-string Power Slinkys on my Stratocaster. I omit the .11 string and am left with a set that's 14 18 28 38 48 58. I've been really thrilled with the results.

I've read before that a long time ago in a galaxy far away they used to ship the early Strats with .013's. Cool, glad you like 'em. I'll bet that 28-wound on the G mitigates the heck out of the complaint some Strat players have about the pole-piece for that string (the way it reacts with a plain).
Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I just removed my unwound G and put an 18 wound string on my Strat, and what a difference! I really like the balanced sound and feel of it. No more uneven, loud G string. Thumbs Up

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I've started using
14 18 26 38 48 58

For years I have been doing something similar with D'Addario ECG24‑7 7‑String Chrome Flat Wounds, so I am left with:
.015, .022, .030, .040, .050, .065
Guitar is tuned down a whole step to D.
I really wish there was a way to get all of them wound (the .015 is plain) but that is not possible.

Ran

devinomatic wrote:

Beyond the tone and steady tension of the strings, I find that my tremolo picking has a much more defined sound; it's much less legato. The punch of each note's attack is clearly defined through the reverb. I play with a medium Dunlop gel, because the attack is there with minimal "flop", or too much click.

The Scimitars

I've recently put on D'Adarrio Pure Nickel 10-45 on my strat and tele. These seem to have a nice balance, feel and warm tone.

One of my best friends bought his first guitar 2 weeks ago and is learning via online lessons and an Xbox game/attachment called Rocksmith.

Anyways, he texted me yesterday that he broke his first string! Such a rite of passage!

Then it occurred to me that there was a time when I wasn't reading threads about string gauges and types and cores and such. There was a time when I had no idea how much tone difference a fraction of a millimeter could make. I had no idea what nickel or chrome would do for me. There was just whatever cheapo strings I put on my crappy guitar and a hope that they wouldn't break.

Sometimes I miss that simplicity.

But back on topic! I've been using Tomastik 11s on my jag. I love them, but is there any way I can get a set without the red thread covering the winds?

Wear the red thread proudly like a surf guitar Brahmin!

Squink Out!

String by mail is having a sale on Dogal Evolution Carbon Steel Flatwounds in 4 gauges.
Anyone heard of this brand and the type of steel?

Thanks.

Squink Out!

They make the best, but most expensive, bass strings ever (Evolution Jaco). Expect the guitar strings to be really good as well.

I've been using the pyramid gold flat wound strings, wow are they good

I have just put Roto Sound 8s on my scalloped Strat. What a mind boggling difference between that and the 9s and 10s I normally run. They are awesome for the neo-classical metal trip but won't end up on my surf guitars.
Any one else ever try 8s?

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Ever since Fender discontinued their "ground-wound" 1550 string set (11,15,22w,32,40,48), I've been looking for something similar. Unfortunately, it seems almost nobody these days still uses a wound 3rd, which is what I really want/need. Suggestions?

Oh, some facts:
1) I am mostly a RHYTHM player, all styles of music.
2) I teach chordal jazz.
3) I prefer "ground", "half-round", "rolled" strings for their brighter tone and reduced finger 'squeek'.
4) Flatwounds sound TOO dead to me, even though I like jazz.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016 12:16:33

i use string joy for all my guitars that need custom sets

and gold pyramids for all my flatwound guitars

and cleartone for everything else

Old_Tele_man, I recently started using a wound "G" string, size 18. I was able to buy it individually, I will check the brand when I get a chance. I immediately noticed a huge difference when I switched, much more balanced sounding.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Goto Page: Previous 1 222 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next