Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 2428 29 Next

Are 12's on a Jag the same as 11's on a Strat? Is it because of the length of the neck? Also, why are flat 12's called "light" strings? They are anything but light!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Going to the music store today ( 2hours away....) and am going to buy my first set of flatwounds.
Suggestions anyone....How do D'addario Chrome 10 - 48 or 11-50's sound as a new experiment. Bear in mind I have been useing GHS Boomers 9s and 10s forever and a day.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Went with what I recognized at the music store. Talked strings and I didnt get a good vibe about flatwounds. I picked up a set of 10-48, probably needed a thicker gauge but will see how these work out.

Just have to figure out if they are going on the JM, Jag or my homebuilt partscaster Rory Gallagher Strat.

While a good setup will allow those to work on a Jag, a light set like that will work better on one of your 25.5" scale guitars. I think you might notice the low e is too light, It still works, but is just light enough where it is floppy and give a slight buzz(caused by being too loose and oscillating too sloppily.

Thanks Jake for the info!!! So its down to the JM or Strat.... If these work ouut tone/feel wise i will look at the heavier gauges. They are also about 2 1/2 times more expensive than thr GHS Boomers I have been running forever.

Cool

Are 12's on a Jag the same as 11's on a Strat? Is it because of the length of the neck? Also, why are flat 12's called "light" strings? They are anything but light!

to sixstringsurfer
Yeah if you want the feel of 11's on strat on a jag it would be up 1 gauge to
12 generally speaking ,
you might try 11's first though to see if you like that.
you got it right it's because the jag neck is shorter than a strat.
the twelves in flatwound are called light in my opinion because the strings chosen by players in jazz are often thicker gauge flatwounds.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015 06:32:13

duplicate post sorry

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015 06:36:59

heepeejeep wrote:

Cool

That's all I ever need!

The Hicadoolas

I just put an order in for a Squier VM Jag today, and it sounds like I'll be wanting some Rotosound Purples for it.
Thanks, all.

[edit] I just came across this facebook post when looking for info about Roto Purples:

G. M. Palmer > ‎Rotosound Music Strings
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 11:52pm ·
No Rotosound purples were to be had in all of Houston yesterday so I had to settle for red 11s. Might as well be playing on rainbows and sunshine they're so light--but I have to have my Rotosounds, even when they're a 2-hour round trip away!

Laughing

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Last edited: May 05, 2015 22:55:21

Big Grin Love it! Enjoy the new Jag and the purples, planish!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Just make sure you are up to date on your Tetanus Shots and spank away on that bass!

Kojack wrote:

WaimeaBay
I guess nobody wants to reveal their strings, you sissys prolly have 9- gauge d'addarios on and are to ashamed to admit it! Evil

Ouch!

Okay, I'll talk. I've had the same set of Fender flatwounds (0.013 - 0.054) on my Partscaster (60s Strat copy from Subway Music) for 5 years. No particular reason for keeping them so long. I change the roundwound strings on my other guitars regularly. I just like the tone of older flatwound strings.

Recently ordered a set of Fender flatwound .012's for my 50s Classic Stratocaster. I imagine I'll change those about as frequently.

Wow! As I type these lines, I'm thinking that I haven't changed the strings on my '74 Jazz bass since like 1982! Jeez. My skin crawls just _thinking _about the crud trapped in the windings of those strings.

I just had my Strat restrung with D'adadario 11 flat wounds, and I'm still getting used to them! Its a really cool sound, very different feel! After a week or so of practice I will post more thoughts. (yes, it does take me a week to get a thought started and out!)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015 10:27:25

I'm really digging my Guadalupe Custom Strings.
Very pricey, but well worth the price of admission.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Yep, i have those now. Better than DR Pure Blues, but not by a ton. Better balance.

I don't like the wraps on the end, I get mine without the wraps.

Roundcore roundwound is the way to go!!!

Just restrung my Jaguar with flatwound Chromes 13-56. I absolutely love it. The thick gauge flatwound sound was what I was looking for. Very happy.

I like to do the RnR/Blues bending stuff so I replaced the wound G with a 20 plain. I find it doesn't sound as good but I need to be able to bend 1 step on the G to feel comfortable. Acceptable compromise but still I wonder...

Are all plain strings made equal? I wish that plain G sounded a bit closer to the wound while maintaining the bendability. In fact I wish all the plain strings sounded a bit mellower.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

.20 plain G is too thick to sound good, from my experience. Some wound g strings sound bend quite well.

And not all plain strings are created equal.

I looked up the price on those Guadalupe custom strings because I'm a sucker for nice packaging. I'm willing to try a set of the regular strings for $15 but $85 for an expendable is ridiculous.

I think the 85$ is for multiple sets.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

So it is. That's what I get for working and browsing at the same time. Still, $21 a set is pricey.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015 15:30:31

Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 2428 29 Next