Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Here's a Drip Tip

Page 1 of 1

I've been unhappy with the sound of my vintage pan, I damaged my old pan, took my current one out of a combo amp (66BFPR) and put it in my reverb unit, but it just wasn't doing it. I started looking on eBay and saw that prices for vintage Gibbs pans for Fender were really getting expensive.

I knew there were lots of old Gibbs and Accutronics from Hammond organs but the impedance were different. Unfortunately most sellers never put the impedance on their description so it's hard to know if it's the right one. I started asking eBay sellers if they had an ohm meter if they would check, and around half of the ones I asked did. One of those sellers had an accutronics pan with the right impedence (1-2Ω input, 170-200Ω output) for under $20, definitely early 60's style. It had extra hardware for mounting in the organ which was easily removed. Once I got it home and plugged it in I was in drip city! Groovy

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010 09:48:57

That's good to know.....

I was under the impression that most of the 50's and 60's spinet hammonds (L-111 and others) used the same tank. I have an old L-111 at my mom's place I need to pirate the tank out of.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Great tip, Danny! Thanks for sharing that.

I have an old L-111 at my mom's place I need to pirate the tank out of.

Ha! (Mom speaking) "Ed, my organ doesn't sound the same these days . . ."

-Dick

Fender Reissue Cap Mod Site
http://home.comcast.net/~rmessick2/

i was considering hijacking my grandmas organ for the reverb unit thats in it as well... haha.

Knarle Tide

http://www.facebook.com/knarletide
http://www.reverbnation.com/knarletide

I have been struggling with it for a while. Finding the right one on ebay. $10 bux a pop its a crap shoot!

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

I should know better than to use "that" word around these parts...........How about just a Hammond Electric .....? That's probably a safer bet.

No one has a more warped view of the world than guitar players and this place is thick with 'em.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Here is the very brief story of my Uncle Spot outboard tank. I bought it last May but found it did not really have the vintage "drip" sound I was seeking. It was mainly a very smooth reverb with a long decay.

Recently I bought a NOS ITT 6k6gt tube and installed it. It seemed to add a bit more of the 'drippy' thwack but was only noticeable if the mix was turned up to a undesireable level.

I also recently found a Gibbs 2 spring pan built in 1963 (found on ebay). It was a gamble since I had no idea about the impedence. So last night I tried it out and, voila! Instant 1963 reverb sound! The decay is quite a bit less but that is ok because I believe the 'drippy thwack' is more noticeable with the mix higher.

Getting a good pan seems to be a key part of attaining a vintage sound. Now I just need to figure out if I can install the pan in the case with no problems.

Monkey

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

Last edited: Dec 01, 2009 10:18:00

Jagshark
Here is the very brief story of my Uncle Spot outboard tank. I bought it last May but found it did not really have the vintage "drip" sound I was seeking. It was mainly a very smooth reverb with a long decay.

Recently I bought a NOS ITT 6k6gt tube and installed it. It seemed to add a bit more of the 'drippy' thwack but was only noticeable if the mix was turned up to a undesireable level.

I also recently found a Gibbs 2 spring pan from 1963. It was a gamble since I had no idea about the impedence. So last night I tried it out and, voila! Instant 1963 reverb sound! The decay is quite a bit less but that is ok because I believe the 'drippy thwack' is more noticeable with the mix higher.

Getting a good pan seems to be a key part of attaining a vintage sound. Now I just need to figure out if I can install the pan in the case with no problems.

Congrats Jagshark. I would say it's THE key part.

Danny Snyder

_

Speaking of pans, I was reading the brand new Guitar Player mag last night (January, w/ Tony Iommi on the cover), and they gave a great review to the new Dr. Z reverb unit "Z-Verb". But here's the key passage:

"Dr. Z's Mike Zaite relates that he purchased a whopping 600 US-made reverb tanks from Morley, the new owner of Accutronics, upon hearing that the company would soon be moving manufacture of this component off-shore."

The Accutronics pans' sound might be changing even more pretty soon...

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks for that tip danny, gonna check my tanks when i go home tonight, i built a reverb unit out of a old silver face PR and used that tank and its "OK" at best... didnt think to try the other tanks.. figured i just messed it up...

Only other problem is that high notes get very chimey through it.. i have never used a real unit though, not sure if its normal..

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

edited

Last edited: Dec 02, 2009 10:13:59

DannySnyder

Jagshark

I also recently found a Gibbs 2 spring pan from 1963. It was a gamble since I had no idea about the impedence. So last night I tried it out and, voila! Instant 1963 reverb sound! The decay is quite a bit less but that is ok because I believe the 'drippy thwack' is more noticeable with the mix higher.

Congrats Jagshark. I would say it's THE key part.

Thanks. The pan must have been sitting in a barn since the 60s because it was caked in dust!

(defunct) Thee Jaguar Sharks

Plus! Other stuff not surf: https://soundcloud.com/jamesmileshq
Enjoy every minute

IvanP
The Accutronics pans' sound might be changing even more pretty soon...

Who knows, maybe they will start to sound better again with a new manufacturer? I recently had to replace my great sounding 90s Accutronics pan with a new U.S. one. It sounded good up to the 6-6-6 setting but after that got thinner and harsher pretty quick. I even tried another new Accutronics pan but with the same results and now hear that other people having similar experiences with the recent Accutronics pans as well.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Has anyone found out exactly what is different about the newer Accutronics pans? There seems to be a consensus that older is better (gee, that's a shocker), but I've had a look in my RI's pan and there ain't much in there; a limited number of possible culprits, in other words. Is it the springs' length, the type of metal used, different transducers, or what?

This reminds me I need to resolder the connections on my old Gibbs pan and fit it back into my '61 reverb...

MissingLink
Has anyone found out exactly what is different about the newer Accutronics pans? There seems to be a consensus that older is better (gee, that's a shocker), but I've had a look in my RI's pan and there ain't much in there; a limited number of possible culprits, in other words. Is it the springs' length, the type of metal used, different transducers, or what?

It's still a mystery to me. Older doesn't mean better, it means the odds are higher of finding a better one. There are great sounding newer ones and really dull sounding old ones. Measuring with a meter doesn't help, you have to plug them in and listen. I use an old stereo equipment switching unit with 4 sets of rca jacks to compare them easily.

Danny Snyder

_

Page 1 of 1