Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Info for 2nd annual SG101 convention, 1st weekend, Aug 2009

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 817 18 Next

Absolute Surf Saturation...... Yeah! I'm there and I'll drag the otherwise surf unsaturated, (at this point in the weekend anyway) Surge! Brothers along for more Southern California insanity.......Yeah!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

bigtikidude
your thoughts please?

As long as I get a chance to eat and drink a bit at intervals during the day, I'm usually good until 1:00 AM or so, if a heroic effort is called for. Last year I was feeling a bit weak about 7:00 or 8:00 PM and realized I hadn't had anything since 8:00 AM but beer and a hamburger engulfed at Jack in the Box in mid afternoon while changing my shirt for the first time. During that period, some of it spent driving up from HB, I had sweated through two separate shirts, and my jaw had dropped about two feet. A buddy of mine, a distance runner with no reserves of fat to fall back on, was in even worse shape. We had to skip stuff ( Shocked ) for 45 minutes or so to eat and rehydrate, but returned and ended up leaving around 1:30 AM or so. Whenever the Insect Surfers bounced cheerfully off the stage. I only got lost (seriously) once on the way back to my hotel and dragged in around 5:00 AM after an extensive tour of some suburban neighborhoods that sounded familiar from songs, the harbor district, and that little peninsula where the earth is constantly moving.

being from New York, and having way too much energy for one person, I am open to seeing live instro surf into the morning

Hell, even an 'After Hours' Club' !!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah baby

UN/F

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

i'm in for the whole time, more bands or hanging out at a cool bar/restaurant both work for me. i have to admit i really enjoyed hanging out with everyone at the tikibar/restaurant we all went to after the sunday shows last summer.

www.surfintheeye.com

thanks to those who replied.
well this isn't an overwhelming response I was hoping for,
but it is encouraging enough to plan something for sat night.
I am planning on making it bands that are not involved on fri sat or sun shows that are booked so far.

as for food.
the starting gate has food.
they will be open for breakfast before the event starts.
probably at 7 or 8 am, (will confirm that and let all of you know)
also they will be serving food and drinks all day during the event.
and I'm going to tell them to staff the place well so the service should be fair.

as for food in the city's for the fri night shows,
there are plenty of places near the venues in SD and El Segundo to eat.
just show up around 7 or so, dont wait till 8:45 and expect all of them to be open.
and there are tons of places to eat in HB on sunday afternnon. either to the left of the stage, or up main street, personally I eat before, drink water during the day, and then plan on going to Kona(now known as Don the Beachcombers)IN Sunset Beach/up PCH few miles) on sunday at 6 pm ish after like we did last year.

any questions/suggestions?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Apr 01, 2009 12:38:23

I'll be there if you schedule more bands, Jeff. Without question!
Thanks for all your efforts. You rule, dude!

Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship

Bob S.

bigtikidude
I have a question for anybody that might be coming to Calif. for the sg101 convention weekend.

the actual event is 11 am to 8 pm on sat aug 1st.

I was toying with the Idea of having 2 or 3 bands play at another bar afterward.
say Slacktone, and Outterwave, at the Doll Hut in Anaheim, 15 min drive from
sg101 event venue.
how many of you would go to that?

I know that at 8 pm, the last thing I'm gonna want to do is go home and sleep. So that's why I thought of doing another show.
But I also know that a lot of people wil be tired and prob not go to the other show.

so there is that option.
or just pick a cool restaurant and bar to hang out at.

your thought please?

Bob

RobbieReverb
I'll be there if you schedule more bands, Jeff. Without question!
Thanks for all your efforts. You rule, dude!

Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship Worship

Bob S.

What Bob said!

bigtikidude
.................. and then plan on going to Kona(now know as Don the Beachcombers)IN Sunset Beach/up PCH few miles) on sunday at 6 pm ish after like we did last year........................

sounds good to me

www.surfintheeye.com

i know it's a bit of a ways off but i'm going to stay in huntington beach and will have a rental car. if there's anyone who needs a ride up to the purple orchid show let me know as the date gets closer. i don't mind being a DD.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

bigtikidude

Dude...do you still need help with artwork for posters, flyers, etc.?

Also, what are the thoughts of having some media (Radio, TV, Web) exposure for this event...before, during and/or after the event?

It might help the bands in some way.

• Surfbeatnik

Great idea. I still have all the media contact info from my previous job & will be happy to share it.

Save me a spot Carol. Very Happy I foresee large amounts of alcoholic beverages in my future. Cheers Drool

Any word on the jam session, Jeff? Hmmm Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Also, I was thinking about the laminated nametags that were discussed last year. We could do those. We have the artwork, add the names of those people we know that are coming, and I have a heat seal laminator at work. Drop-ins still have to go with the 'Hi My Name is" sticker.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Duff, yes and yes.
I just called you,
gimme a call back.

Carol, thats very cool of you to offer.

Tim, that would be great, thanks.

Staredge, Doug (Stormtiger) brought name tags last year. and it seemed like a flop. I think people didn't want to be identified.
and half the people there were local surf fans, and prob not on sg101.
so I don't know what to say.

sorry for the delays everybody. still working on a few little bugs.
believe me, I wanted to announce this months ago.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I thought the name tags were very useful!!! Thank you Doug! If you didn't want to wear one you are/were a party pooper.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I did too.
and I wore one.

Thanks Doug.

maybe we can make the name tags look like pocket protectors.
Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Those tags last year were actually printed on mailing labels so they were a little flimsy. Real name tags were much more expensive. There are lots of options but I felt the money should go to the bands so I got the least expensive solution I could find.

I just say anyone who wants a tag make one and bring it. I don't mind people knowing who I am, I'd like to meet some more SG101'ers.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Ok I have come to the realization that except for a few hardcore crazys
like myself, that a Sat. nite show at another location would be really bad for attendance. As everybody will be pretty pooped out.
so I am gonna look for a cool restaurant or bar near the Starting gate for people to go to and hang out, and talk more.

but what I am wanting to know is.
who will be flying/driving in on Thurs. and be up for a show that night?

or would that be a good night to just have that as a Get together/chat nite also?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll be in around lunchtime on Thursday. I'm up for whatever.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

My plans are pending the final announcement of the lineups. Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 817 18 Next