Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Barbwires - Searider

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

What's this!? A wall-of-sound surf album?? Surely it can't be! Shocked

Wow, this is one amazing chunk of surf music. This album has generated a fair amount of buzz here on the forums, and finally it delivers. Searider is more than just a new album by the Barbwires. Besides the header on the album cover--"The Barbwires with the Blue Ocean Orchestra"--it brings surf music to whole new heights of orchestration and instrumentation only ever remotely approached by a select few. And the best part about this album is--it works! This is a great, full sound that I haven't found overbearing or distracting at all. It's got a trad sensibility with a very modern attack. Great songs with good diversity and tons of melodic and sonic depth that provide tons of new stuff to hear with every next listen. I'm excited! Very Happy

The album opens with the brief introductory Ka Le o Ke Kahuku. Vinyl crackles over a soft ukulele and lap steel guitar as birds sing in the distance. It's a warm and welcoming kind of sound, and quickly lulls and relaxes you. Very comforting, but wait... Shocked

... La Caja Del Muerto happens. Oh my god, this song. Strings provide a brief warning of the coming of a killer opening riff with ballsy tone and grit in its teeth. Strings and horns accompany a series of riffs and then lay down the rhythm for what may just be the single most epic guitar line in the history of surf music. The melody takes off about 50 seconds in, with Mike Barbwire's guitar delivering a lick of unrivaled gigantism in tone and melodic power. The rest of the song that follows is one of the great raging surf monsters--nothing but historically memorable riffs and melodic changes supported by layered guitars, strings, and horns. The huge production of this song coupled with it's relentless power make for a certain epic grandiosity that's perhaps unrivaled within the surf genre. Did I mention that I like this one? Don't take it as hyperbole when I say that it deserves to be remembered as one of the best surf songs of all time. Anyone who hasn't yet heard it check it out on the Barbwires' myspace right now. Then buy the album so you can listen to it all day like I've been doing. Laughing

Okay, so the sheer awesomeness of La Caja Del Muerto is well established. But now it poses a problem: the whole rest of the album has to follow. I had heard the song on the band's myspace months back, and since then I wondered whether the rest of the album would be able to hold its own against such a highlight. If the remainder of the material were of the same caliber as Caja..., in my opinion Searider could easily be the best surf album ever. But if it were at all average, the disappointment could be all the greater in the shadow of that epic ditty. Lucky for us, the remain album as a whole is strong enough to contend. We could always hope--but not reasonably expect--that the whole album would be consistently as good, and of course it isn't. But is nonetheless a great album and already one of my top-ten favorites.

The dubious honor of following Caja... goes to Go Go Gasoline. It's a dragster number, with a rumbling engine to open the song that makes apparent, alongside the opening Hawaiian-styled tune and other songs that follow, despite this album's very modern approach to surf it's very much an homage to surf music and the idealized surfing lifestyle of the 1960's. This should make the album a major treat for just about any surf fan--trad or not.
Go Go Gasoline is a very fast paced and very upbeat number. I guess it makes sense that instead of trying to one-up yourself after Caja... it's a good idea to just kick back and have a good time. It's got a really "happening" melody with lots of quick changes between sections. My first few listens I thought it all felt a little without focus, but the song has really grown on me and I like it quite a bit now. Really fun and enjoyable.

Waimanalo slows things back down for just a bit before bringing things back up-tempo. A ukulele rings in a sax and horns that contribute to much of the song's fun atmosphere, though more laid back than the previous track. In fact now that I think about it the song has a very carefree vibe to it. It's a long song--almost five minutes--but doesn't get tiring. Besides, it's nice to feel carefree for extended periods of time.

The Cheater is the unfortunate disappointment of the album, in my opinion. It's a fast and driving number, heavy on the percussion and with some cool counterpoint from the rhythm guitar, strings, and horns. However, the quick-slung riffs seem almost frantic to my ear and don't really develop in any direction. As with all the songs on this album, it's fun to listen to all the layers of instruments here, but the song as a whole doesn't do much for me, and its brevity (less than two minutes) makes it seem like it was something of an afterthought, even though with such an involved production I'm sure that wasn't the case.

Measurable amounts of respite and relaxation finally come in Shelter From the Sun--the album's first consistently slower number. Claves, shakers, and smooth horns and guitar tones give the song a very suave feel, maybe like a modern extension off the Surfmen's Casanova. Very cool chilled out track.

After Shelter From the Sun naptime's over. And man it's a dark world we've woken up into. Blood on the Waves is mean, and it's great. Twisted Evil Tortured strings and theremin quickly set things up, replaced by horns in accompaniment to one mean riff with a tangible sense of urgency and danger. I particularly like all the "extra" bits in this song--wailing strings, horns, and theremin; yells off in the distance, call and response between the guitar and violins, the short pizzicato break, and unsettling sorrowful close. Great arrangement of an otherwise uncomplicated song. Awesome stuff.

Thor Island Thunder picks up with the twangiest tones of the album and a pedal steel guitar, achieving a subtly "western" feel, but different from other western surf songs I've heard. It's got a touch of darkness and melancholy compounded by the strings. Very moody and unique sound and really cool. Thumbs Up

The eponymous hero of the album is the wonderful Searider. I hold this song as my personal number two to La Caja Del Muerto. What a great song! It opens with a slowly weeping saw--a sound that's soo yearning and woeful and goofy at the same time it always brings a huge grin to my face and makes me want to both laugh and cry. It sets a great mood quickly broken by a gutsy walking turnaround on the guitar and full resonant horns. Oh man, the instrumentation and the tones in the first few measures send chills down my back. It's a great setup for the song that follows--a Hollywood jazzy crime caper-type of number. The melody's kinda playful but not at all campy, and the multiple layers of production just keep things all the more interesting. The strings and horns are impeccable throughout and a fantastic counterpoint to Mike's guitarwork. I loove the pizzicato verse--brings a smile to my face every time. Things build to the last verse, where the guitar tones soon become out of this world. Mike's tones vary (very tastefully) throughout this album, with the most notable gutsiness thus far on Caja... But towards the end of the song Searider, he unleashes a huge sonic force of entirely unrivaled ballsiness. His guitar growls and cuts through all the layers upon layers of other instruments and it's just entirely sublime. Tone heaven! I think his tone on the last minute of this song might just be the most desirable in surf, for my tastes at least. Friggin' amazing. But he then sets it aside for the closer, when the saw comes back to bring a parting tear and grin once again. Great great song. Worship

Springbreak brings things back to the general upbeatness of the earlier songs on the album. It's a very fun, even raucous song. It's got a strong and simple--very danceable--beat, supportive of the audience-participation tilt of the song. The "spring break" concept is cute and clever in a hyuck-hyuck kind of way. Reverb kicks! Very cheeky, and pretty darn fun.

You Son of a Beach is another personal favorite. It's got a light latin influence and smoother tones than usual. Actually, the guitar sounds very much like Ivan circa the days of the Space Cossacks. There's even more overlap with Ivan's playing style on this one. I wonder if it was intentional? Hmmm Yes or no, the end product is an immensely enjoyable surf song with a slight exoticism and dramatic flair--right up my alley. I love the horn break in the middle and the gutsiness of the last verse. Yet another great arrangement and production with tons to listen to.

The song starts bringing things to a close with splashing waves and more birdcalls. Ukulele and pedal steel underscore an Endless Summer narration. A cute and well-executed idea that's a real warm and fuzzy moment for fans of the movie.

More lapping waves and calling birds segue into the closing Rauk Reef, a final slow number with a very relaxing quality. The melodica makes more Endless Summer callbacks behind a much more modern melody. The song is very calming for the first few minutes before picking up with a great riff and edgier guitarwork. Even despite the change in attack, the accompaniment of the strings helps maintain a certain hypnotic lull through to the fading close--a gentle drop-off from the full experience that this album truly is. Though I would prefer more closure to the album than just a fade-away, Rauk Reef is still a very satisfying closing song, and that final riff will stay with you the whole rest of the day. Smile

Overall, Searider is an immensely enjoyable album, worth multiple consecutive listens both for its melodic strength and depth of production. I didn't even go into that much detail about the instrumentation of each individual song--just about every minute of this album has a three guitar arrangement (maybe two guitars and a keyboard) and multiple layers of strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion and whatever else. It's an approach to surf that could easily end up getting very messy, but this album executes it with flying colors. the extra arrangements are actually a huge contributing factor to the quality of each of the songs and the album as a whole. Even if you don't like the songs (I don't see why any self-respecting surf fan wouldn't :P), if only for this album's production Searider is an achievement commanding respect. The depth of production and arrangement shows that this is a band that puts a whole lot of thought into it's songs and into surf music as a craft and form. It's pretty inspiring, really and something worth seeing a whole lot more of in the genre. This album has proved surf's potential for multi-layered sonic ear candy, and the results are damn enjoyable and damn promising. Worship

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008 09:37:30

Note to self: concision. Embarassed

Wow Ben, that's an incredible review - well done. I'l have to get the album for sure now. Where'd you get it?

For your spanish speakers here's an interview they gave about the album:
http://www.ipunkrock.net/index.php/site/comments/the_barbwires_las_mejores_olas_de_suecia/

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
Wow Ben, that's an incredible review - well done. I'l have to get the album for sure now. Where'd you get it?

Thanks Danny. Yeah, get it by all means. I'm sure that you personally would like it a lot.

It looks like the first link I provided didn't work (I changed it). I bought my copy at Wild Records. Just go to the merchandise page and it's the second or third album down the list.

Great review Ben! I've been looking forward to this album for a while. I just ordered the CD from Wild Records!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

As I wrote in the other thread, the effort the Barbwires have put into the new album is probably unmatched in surf music history. Looks like that goes for the release party as well:

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

wow they are really going for the aloha/hawaiian/tiki angle on this.
funny how thats the kiss of death for a band here in the U.S.

Klas are you going to go to that?
would be cool to get an actual live report of that show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yes, I will at least be at the evening show.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas, cool deal, enjoy the show, lucky. Wink

Wooza, thanks for the review, that was quite a read, but really has me wanting to get this cd.

does anybody know if they are planning on returning to US for another tour?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Damn, Ben!!! Very impressive!! I couldn't have done better myself - and you saved me a lot of time! Very Happy

I think your review is pretty much spot on, and I'm in almost perfect agreement with all of your comments.! La Caja del Muerto is one of the all-time ultimate surf songs, that's for sure. My other favorite from this CD is You Sun of a Beach, which is almost as good (it's funny you compare that song to the stuff I've done - it didn't even occur to me, but I see what you mean - and now I get it why I like it so much! Laughing ). These two are simply stunning, and I was familiar with both of them (the former from the band's myspace page, the latter from the most recent Continental zine CD) before I got the CD.

With my expectations set super-high by the above two songs, upon the first few listens of the entire CD I found it all a bit too much, too overwhelming. The orchestral additions are pretty heavy-handed, and with most songs being VERY fast, initially it all just seemed too much. But I kept going back to the CD, and with each new listen came to appreciate it more. The wall-of-sound on this CD can still cause a bit of ear fatigue if I'm not in the right mood, but I'm now of the opinion that this is a work of near-genius, and one of the most significant albums in the last 10-15 years of surf music.

It's very difficult to live up to La Caja del Muerta and You Sun of a Beach, but for my money several more songs on the album come very close. Thor Island Thunder is dramatically melodic and BIG (and what a great freakin' title!). The subtle steel-guitar in the background works like a charm. Rauk Reef is another achingly melodic and evocative tune with tons of texture (provided by organ, melodica and strings) and great amount of depth. I absolutely love how it builds up into an intense monster in the final two of its nearly six minutes. A perfect closer! I also greatly enjoy Blood on the Waves (another inspired title), which has a quasi-flamenco-on-amphetamines feel to it with some very ominous horns in the background - huge energy and great riffs and melody. Go Go Gasoline is also an explosive and super-fun ride, with a phenomenal, infectous melody and perfect horns arrangement! I feel like that about The Cheater, too - an explosion of rapid-tempo energy that sounds like a sixties or seventies TV crime show theme. So, I disagree with Ben about that song, I think it's very cool

A few downsides for me: Waimanalo starts off with a really cool melody, but it somehow never really develops, it never takes off, instead going into a bluesy bit that just seems to kind bide its time. It could have been a great song, but as it is it's "just" pretty good. Shelter from the Sun, the easy-listening/exotica ballad leaves me kinda bored and usually skipping ahead, which I'm sure is not very fair to this pretty song (the horns here are too easy-listening-sounding for me, though). Springbreak is too noisy and raucous, and doesn't seem to really go anywhere, and that's another song that I often simply skip (the voice overdubs in particular being the deal-breaker, too annoying).

The title song is very jazzy, as Ben already said. I found that a bit disappointing. I thought the title was so epic, so iconic, that I expected something like an ultimate surf song, something along the lines of La Caja del Muerto. Instead, we got something like "Sing Sing Sing", a New Orleans jazz thing with a surf guitar lead. It's a very cool song, for sure, and another example of incredible arranging talent, with the orchestra providing some brilliant and complex counterpoint and harmony. But it still left me a bit dissatisfied. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

The recording of the whole thing is impeccable, and the lead guitar tone is BIG (Strats in surf RULE!!! Very Happy ). It's definitely not a clean guitar sound, sporting more than a bit of crunch (I believe via an early-sixties Bassman). It's also not as heavily reverbed as one might expect. But it totally works. The guitar authoritatively claims its rightful place in the center of the musical maelstorm swirling around it in all of these songs. None of the musicianship is showy, it's all about the song and the melodies, and the drumming and bass playing are tasteful and unobtrusive, which is important given the complex arrangements.

All in all, "Searider" has stunning songwriting, bodacious energy, talented and completely professional playing, and unprecedented orchestral arrangements that sound like the work of a true pro. It's a ground-breaking album that succeeds on almost every level and features off-the-charts creativity levels. If there is a surf CD that both deserves to be heard by a wider audience and that actually has a chance (however miniscule) of turning on a large number of non-surf listeners to our beloved genre - this is it.

The biggest bummer about this CD - how inadequate it makes me feel. Crying It's completely ruined my self-esteem. Here I thought I was hot stuff and then something like this comes along... Those bastards!!!!

Just kidding! Well, sort of... Laughing

Seriously, though, along some of those lines Ben wrote:

something worth seeing a whole lot more of in the genre. This album has proved surf's potential for multi-layered sonic ear candy, and the results are damn enjoyable and damn promising.

I agree, but I don't see more recordings like this happening. For one thing, given the shoe-string budget of most surf recordings, I can't see how other surf bands could afford a production like this (I've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that the only way that the Barbwires could have afforded it is that they're either independently wealthy - or their rock-star friends provided the studio completely free of charge or at a huge price break!). Nevermind that there are probably not many other surf musicians talented enough to come up with these kinds of arrangements for an orchestra. So, I think this will be a one-off - an incredibly special album that will never be replicated. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my prediction.

What a way to cap off an absolutely amazing year for surf music! So many brilliant releases this year. It is astonishing to me that we can have all these incredible CDs coming out this year in a genre where really successful sales are measured in terms of a few thousand copies. Nobody is making any money off of any of these - which may account for the fact that people are free to pursue their deepest creative impulses, unimpeded by any commercial requirements. This year has really been all about the music - and all else has indeed been bullshit. Thank God for that, and may we have many more years like '08!!

PS The CD release party looks amazing. The album definitely deserves something of that scope, though. Wish I could be there. (It looks like I might be in Stockholm, but too late for this party - I might be there in August of next year - may there be a Barbwires show, may there be a Barbwires show, may there be a Barbwires show...)

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I reviewed this disc last week for the upcoming Continental magazine - for me this and the Los Twang Marvels CD are definitely albums of the year (although I think Double Crown had some contenders for the title, I can't really come out and give the title to one of my own releases, so that makes calling the these releases "album of the year" a little easier! I'm gonna keep listening to them and maybe by the time I go to print I'll have a clear winner). My review ended up being about the longest in the issue, although given the space limitations of the magazine, that's only about 10 sentences or so. After reading the reviews hear, I think there might be even more for me to add (not to plagerize, but there are some points made here that I heard, but didn't write about in my initial review).

I'm hoping to get copies of this disc in the Double Crown catalog in the next week or two.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Wow Ivan, other than minor issues we're almost in complete agreement.

I really love the title track for what it is, but it's true that the name isn't really fitting. I was a little surprised by it on first listen--this is Searider?? That's a good point worth noting.
Also, after writing this review I've been enjoying You Son of a Beach even more. I've been listening to it just about all day. It might just be my "number two" on the album now.

IvanP
I don't see more recordings like this happening.

Me neither, unfortunately. But this album is inspiring enough that I hope other bands will strive for similar heights in the future. (That's not at all saying I want this to be the encompassing future of surf music. I just like the idea of having more bands put so much time, effort, and thought into their product.) I know I'm inspired and stirred up by this album. Maybe I should start saving up--and practicing--now for bigger endeavors later.

Wow, that release party looks so awesome! Shocked They're actually playing with the orchestra!? OMG Klas, Serpico, somebody, anybody bring a camera crew with you to that!

On second thought, how much are plane tickets to Stockholm? Hmmm

Double-Crown-Records
I reviewed this disc last week for the upcoming Continental magazine - for me this and the Los Twang Marvels CD are definitely albums of the year (although I think Double Crown had some contenders for the title, I can't really come out and give the title to one of my own releases, so that makes calling the these releases "album of the year" a little easier! I'm gonna keep listening to them and maybe by the time I go to print I'll have a clear winner). My review ended up being about the longest in the issue, although given the space limitations of the magazine, that's only about 10 sentences or so. After reading the reviews hear, I think there might be even more for me to add (not to plagerize, but there are some points made here that I heard, but didn't write about in my initial review).

I'm hoping to get copies of this disc in the Double Crown catalog in the next week or two.

sean, please let us know when you have both of these cds in stock.........thanks, carol

www.surfintheeye.com

IvanP
The biggest bummer about this CD - how inadequate it makes me feel. Crying It's completely ruined my self-esteem. Here I thought I was hot stuff and then something like this comes along...

Welcome to the club - now you know how we all feel after seeing you!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Sonichris

IvanP
The biggest bummer about this CD - how inadequate it makes me feel. Crying It's completely ruined my self-esteem. Here I thought I was hot stuff and then something like this comes along...

Welcome to the club - now you know how we all feel after seeing you!

Amen.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Embarassed Kiss You guys.... Thanks, you're too kind.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

This was easily my most anticipated album of the year and though I've only listened to it once, it didn't disappoint by any stretch of imagination. I'm hesitant to hyperbolize and I think wooza's also not trying to be a fanatic here, but I don't blame him for the "best surf album ever" comments. This really is a whole different plane than what we've been enjoying on many different levels. I was a little worried because the multi-instrumental approach to "...Sounds Like Trouble" sort of lost the tight songwriting sensibilities of their earlier 7"s, but this is a great I think this outperforms their old work in both senses.

If you've followed the other thread you might have suspected that I thought the Barbwires were really gearing up to be something great. They've got the music now, I hope they play their cards right and earn the level of name-checkability that LSJ or Laika have/had.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I just got this CD from Wild Records. Actually, I should say that I got the digipak sleeve from them...no CD inside! I emailed them and hopefully will be able to hear it soon. GRRRR!

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net
http://www.youtube.com/GKacedrummerman
http://www.facebook.com/drumuitar

You know what I love? When other bands get this much clout and have the budget to explore new sounds, you get albums like Local Warming or Spectrum of Infinite Scale: they're good but they're not really surf anymore. This is absolutely unmistakably textbook surf despite all the other stuff happening

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Goto Page: 1 2 Next